1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I look forward to more Lin-Dmo dunks!

2. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Lin + T-Rob dunks will be better.

3. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

in all fairness nobody gets over hyped like Lin does, so it only makes sense that the opposite exists when you have LOFs who never think the guy can do bad.

4. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

I don't really even see that much hate on Lin honestly. It's always like 2-3 ppl criticize Lin, 50 or so guys reply back making it seem like he's getting a lot of hate.

5. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I'm curious to see him at the end of his contract in 2 years. If he is ever going to reach elite status in 4 years or so.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I feel like I'm seeing more or less what Lin's peak can be from the past couple of months. I don't expect any huge improvements from here on out. While he's unlikely to ever be a great shooter, I think he can be like Tony Parker in the sense that every year, his jumpshot will look slightly better.

Otherwise, I see more incremental improvements that don't usually show up on the boxscore. Things like better defense, even if he's unlikely to ever be able to check fast PGs. But smarter play there. I expect better decision making from him, more in control as he gains repetition. On the flip side, I feel he may not penetrate as much as he ages, since his collisions inside tend to be of the trainwreck variety, which can't be good for his body. In this sense, I think it's so important for his long term future that he develops more of his jumpshot. More pull-up jumpers. And save his penetration more for crunch time and playoffs.

Overall, I'm starting to see why Morey paid that much for Lin. But he definitely needs to have that drive to continually improve to truly make Linsanity a common occurrence.

1 person likes this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Lin's last ten games before tonight's: 31.4 minutes, 16.9 points, 6.7 assists, 50.4% shooting, 50% from three.

#ArbitraryEndPoints

But seriously though, if he could manage a line like that (minus ~10% on threes and a point per game as a result), I would be very happy with that for next season. Thrilled, even.

8. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

Maybe I'm the dumb newbie who wasn't here from last July through the first half of this season, but I don't see a whole lot of what you could describe as unreasonable "Lin only fandom." Nobody argues that Lin is already a superstar or franchise player. There is no real overhyping. The worst you see is optimistic projections of his ceiling. The "LOF" strawman is used by people who want to be dismissive or critical of Lin without having to actual discuss or defend their ideas.

It seems to me that most of the serious fans here have been convinced that Lin has potential and is already good enough to be a starter on this team. You just a few loud critics who will hang their hat on every TO and missed shot of his, blame every lost game on him, and desperately dream up trade scenarios involving him even though the deadline has passed. This isn't anything you can justify "in all fairness," it's pretty much just pure trollery.

9. dantian

dantian Member

As a long time Suns fan, I was so glad that they traded Nash away after drafting him at 15 2 years back. Never saw how much he'd improve over the next 5 seasons in Dallas.

As to jump shot, even slight improvement would make his game more dangerous as defenders cannot hedge too much against his drives. In this win over BKN, his drives opened up a lot for the team despite defenders not honoring his jumpers. Think about it!

10. nono

nono Member

He is getting more and more confidence in his jumper, especially his mid range jumper. He is pretty good I think at shooting the mid range jumper off of a screen.

11. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

I'm really surprised to see Knicks fans currently cursing Dolan for not matching Lin. I just remember during off-season and November how much better Felton supposedly was, how Lin didn't fit with Melo, how he was overrated, etc.

Really, Lin is exactly what they need, but are missing right now -- someone who can play defense, penetrate, get to the rim, create and dish.

I think Harden and Lin will never be an ideal fit, so I'm curious how the Knicks would look had they matched Lin's contract.

But the Rockets are a better situation for Lin no doubt.

12. haydenfisher342

read game threads and you can see the Lin haters just come out.

"COME ON FAILERMY''
    "hes so LINCONSISTENT"
    "Lin sux"
    "Take LIN OFF THE FLOOR NOW!"

guy misses a wide open shot and he gets CF lynch mob after him. If he makes a bad pass? He needs someone to test his food before he eats it.

13. wil55n

wil55n Member

CF Vets ***** and moan about every player when they make a mistake. LOFs needed to realise that.
    CF Vets were mostly against the Lin signing. CF Vets have mostly accepted and embraced Lin a few months in, after seeing firsthand that the upside arguments LOFs were spewing actually had merit.
    Posters pretending to be LOHs were just trolls.
    Posters pretending to by deity worshipping LOFs were just idiots.

Reasonable LOFs who support whatever team he plays for, are the silent majority who are now finally posting as the silliness dies down.

- Excerpt from ClutchFans.net 2012/13 Season Recap, the New Era. Available at all leading retailers.

1 person likes this.
  14. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

it's always the same bunch of folks going to and fro.

15. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

Lin is an exciting player to watch especially whe he's in the "point guard zone"...his assists make people moan and groan :grin: and I love it. I think many Knicks fans missed JLin's type of play.

There will never be closure for Knicks fans re Jlin because many wanted him to stay. I sometimes lurk at Realgm and the bitterness of letting Jlin go is still huge. I copied this sig from one their posters...kinda made me laugh because it's so true....

I agree with you that Lin is much better here in Rockets, a younger and more athetic team. Run and gun type of play....very exciting to watch.

16. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

yeaa... espeically the supermo knicks super fan . MR spike lee :grin:

17. sammsung987

sammsung987 Member

Lin brings alot of intangibles to the team. Besides being a very likable guy, he brings crowds and lots of media attention which in turn makes the team play harder.

18. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

I agree, if you watch the youtube highlights of Lin's stint with the Knicks, Spike Lee was the biggest fan. He's sooo into Lin...it's so funny to watch.

19. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

Lin is the new Battier.

20. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Rockets is all about shining those unpolished and neglected GEMS!