1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unexpected Wii found - Setup and Use Advice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Hey guys,

Just happened to be driving by a Gamestop over here by work, and saw that brown UPS truck outside, so I went in, and sure enough, they got 3 Wii's in, and three of us waiting in line.

My son is about to be 7, and we promised we would try to get one for Christmas, but I was convinced I was not going to be able to snag one..

So, I got the thing, and that Wii Play, and an extra Nunchuck.

Basically, I know some of y'all have it here, and was just wondering about what advice you may have on setting up, or using it, things like that, to hopefully avoid some headaches. We're going to try to have a birthday party at home for him, and have some of his little friends over, and I figured a Wii would make it a bit hit with the kids.

So, any tips, things to do, things to NOT do, stuff like that?

Thanks,

(man is that kid going to be freak-out happy!)

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

WHERE DID YOU FIND IT?????

3. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

You might want to get some extra controllers. So they can run 4 players. Other than that, just set up and go. Always wear the wrist strap, tightly. Don't swing too hard. And don't stand too far.

Also, don't try playing it by yourself, it gets reallllllly boring after about 10 minutes.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

setup is pretty easy. not much too it, really.

You might want to get the remote sleeves to help with grip and make sure the kiddies use the wrist strap...they tend to get a little overzealous with remote swinging, you dont want any wii-injuries.

I dont know if it matters where you put the IR bar. Personally, mine is on the bottom of the TV.

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

if you have an HDTV, spend a few bucks and get the Wii component cables. Make sure that there is adult supervision and that thereis an orderly process of who gets to play and when they get to play...I've seen HUGE fights breakout during my niece's birthday party when I bought her a Wii.

Have the adult double and triple check the wrist straps to make sure that it is secure.

make sure you have everyone whos playing and not playing stand as far away as possible.

someone will get hit, it is unavoidable, make sure you keep some bandaids around.

make absolutely sure that there is NOTHING else on the activity menu because I guarantee the kids will not be doing anything else after the Wii is turned on.

buy life insurance, you might get killed when you decide to put the console away.

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Very straightforward setup, like any console. If you want a graphics boost you can buy the component cables, it'll get the image to a level just below HD. (although not really a priority for games like wii sports and wii play)

Just make sure kids use the straps attached to the wii remotes. Don't want those things flying around the room.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That's pretty much how I got mine a year ago. I got to know the Gamestop folks and found out delivery times. I called about the time the delivery was being made and there were three. I promised the staff breakfast if they would hold one and rushed out the door and was there within 10 minutes. They did.

Tips:

Wrist Straps.

Put the doggies and cats up when you play because you might step on them or wack them if they're tall enough. Same goes for people. If you have a toddler, put him/her in the playpen. My wife wacked our son hard in the head on a bowling backswing about a year ago. It was funny in a way, but not to him.

You CAN play solo games on the Wii, contrary to popular belief. Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario and Metroid Prime are all games that can be played from the couch.

There's a setup for the bar position in the Wii setup menu. It DOES matter where you put it on your TV.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Must find the precious....

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

:D i'm guffawing at this.

10. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I agree on the component video cables if you have the proper TV to support it. Also, extra controllers and nunchucks WILL be needed, so you might as well pick them up.

The Wii gets exponentially more fun when you add more players.

Also, I think you can get free grippy things for your controllers on the nintendo website.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Like Nintendo 64 happy?

12. MadMax

don't guffaw. it's not attractive.

13. MadMax

No, seriously. Where did you find it?

14. Fatty FatBastard

You can't buy them online yet? Damn. They've been out for over a year now.

15. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

a few kid/multi player friendly games:
    elebits is a great game.
    warioware.
    ravin rabbids.
    galaxy is a must.

for yourself Metroid and RE4

16. Nero

Nero Member

This one was at the Game Stop at 290 and Hwy 6, right next to the Philly Factory.

But like I said, there were three of us waiting in line when the guy opened the box and said 'I have 3 of them.'.

I asked him how often they get them in, and said it was totally random, so no help there.

17. Nero

Nero Member

What about Zelda?

18. MadMax

ah...crap. thanks.

19. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

yeah. i havent played a zelda in a long time, but i heard it was really good

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I don't own it, but from what I've read, Zelda is a solo game. But it's kid friendly, too. I would say that the only NOT kid friendly game on the Wii so far is RE4. Metroid is dark, but it's not scary.