1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Help] Girlfriend's Aunt was diagnosed with Cancer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bladeage, Oct 15, 2007.

1. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Well guys we recently got some bad news, my girlfriend's aunt who is 44 years old has been diagnosed with cancer. It seems to have spread from the liver to the stomach. Heres the other problem, she is an illegal immigrant and theres no way for her to get insurance. They had her in LBJ for a while but they never started any chemo and she owes a little over $23k and they won't readmit her until she pays atleast half of that.

She is not married so she can't get insurance under anyone else. It has been really tough for the family deal with as I'm sure you can imagine. Is there anything that can be done? Any place that can help?

Please keep her in your prayers. Thanks guys!

2. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Oh my where is she from? Isn't there a way for her to go back to her home country for treatment where it could be a little cheaper maybe?

3. bladeage

Shes from Mexico.. I am not really sure how that would work. I doubt the family is thinking about taking her to Mexico for treatment.

4. bladeage

5. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

Tell her to apply for a gold card.

She should call to ensure she has a follow up appointment. (which should be free). At that time, she can request an oncology referral. However, you should ensure what exactly was told to her. From your brief description, it sounds pretty bad and it may not be possible to give chemo.

6. bladeage

Well she did apply for the gold card but she had some document showing she is a "visitor" so they told her to go back to her country, because they could not give her the Gold card. :(

7. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I don't know much about our health care system, nor about how it works in other countries.. but after watching Michael Moore's Sicko , couldn't she go another country down south that has somewhat of a health care system that might be able to help her? I know this is a stretch since money might be an issue to travel to those countries. IIRC Cuba has a decent system. But I'm probably wrong.

Good luck to her and I hope she'll have a speedy recovery!

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Yea, I was wondering the same thing. Can't you fly to Britain and get free treatment?

9. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

She's in my prayers, Bladeage.

10. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It wouldn't be feasible. As she is not a British citizen, she would probably have to wait at least 8 months to get treatment there.

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

It is highly doubtful anyone here will be able to give you a good solution. Maybe some charity organizations like local churchs might be able to help some.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think the only way she can realistically get treatment is to go to her own country.

DD

13. tested911

tested911 Member

Go to Canada... I think that is the only way it is going to work?

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Does Canada treat non citizen for such illness as cancer? We have enough Canadians here, they would know. Getting to Canada is easy, just walk across the boarder. :D

15. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Ok not to sound ignorant, but in the documentary, Sicko, that one lady who moved to Canada for a better health care actually had to provide proof of residency and had to already been living in Canada for a couple of months (4 maybe?) in order to get that free treatment at the clinic. It could still be difficult to get treatment in Canada.

I agree with DD that her best bet could possibly be in Mexico where she's definitely legal. It seems apparent that getting treatment here would be close to impossible. Even for those who actually HAVE health care it's hard.

16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I can think of three options:

1) Try to get her citizenship ASAP

2) Visit this clinic:

http://www.sanjoseclinic.org

It is a clinic for low income citizens, legal or not. The doctors there might be able to refer for chemo. The clinic is located downtown Houston, right next to Minute Maid Park.

3) Call Memorial Hermann in the medical center, they offer a charity health care program for people, the doctors there MIGHT even refer her to MD Anderson.

Please try these options. I pray one will be able to work. Best of luck

17. University Blue

Not sure, but friend's aunt / family can try to sign her up for one of the clinical trials at MDACC. Clinical trials, I believe, are a last resort, but may be a viable option in this scenario.

I really would not have a problem with paying more taxes to offer universal health care, housing and food assistance, etc...

18. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I would try Mexico. You can't get treatment here unless you are rich or have the right type of insurance. My cousin went to Mexico for some cancer treatment.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Here's the thing about our medical system, if you don't have money, you are screwed. Being that she is an illegal immigrant and has no insurance, it's going to make it even tougher. There is no sympathy in our medical system, just money money money. The rich gets better and the poor gets sicker.

20. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

Actually, with the price of malpractice and all the frivolous lawsuits floating around, on a per-hour basis, physicians are getting poorer while the poor get sicker. This coming from some of my friends who're various kinds of doctors.