1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bank of America problem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pocket Rockets, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Pocket Rockets

so i find out yesterday that there was a random 7k withdrawal from my savings account from a branch in california. i call the banks 1800 number and go through there prompt for about 30 min before i spoke to someone. i talked to 3 different people and they say they cant help me until the pending transaction becomes a posted transaction.

at this point im irate but i keep my cool. they told me it could just be a bank error and a wrong account number so it could go away and not even get posted. so i wait til today.

sure enough, it gets posted. i call the 800 number again and this time it takes me 45 min to go through their automated system before i get in touch with the right person. she does her research and tells me it will take up to 3 business days to investigate and put the money back into my account. i continue to tell them thats unacceptable and there should be no reason why this should have occured considering ive been in houston and opened my account here and havent been to cali in over 15 years. i dont have checks or withdrawal slips for this particular account.

after speaking to a supervisor they tell me they will contact me as soon as this is resolved and the money will be put back in my account.

this is actually the 2nd time ive been through this situation with this bank. the other time was back in 2002 when there were random charges totaling 3.5k, and i didnt lose my check card or checkbook. they refunded me right away and went through the investigation process and of course i prevailed.

this time they can't refund the money because of the large amount and have to wait until the investigation process is over.

after this im highly considering changing banks because of this, even though ive been with them since i was 16.

has anybody had problems similar to this or related to bank of america??

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Up until about 2005, I had several problems with them. After that, things changed for the better. I haven't had a significant problem for a couple years and that problem was handled by a manager at one of the branches very quickly and I was impressed with their professionalism.

3. Pocket Rockets

was it at that particular branch that the problem occured?

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Actually, it was. I made a deposit for my company but didn't use the rubber stamp because I didn't have it with me. I just signed the back, but I didn't write the account number because I used a blank deposit slip at the bank - big mistake.

Somehow, the temporary deposit slip got separated from the check - one of the tellers put them in separate envelopes or something - so they couldn't credit my account. It was a mess, but they handled it.

The ONLY thing that really bugs me about BOA is that they put holds on large checks whether or not the check is from a local bank and even if you have multiple accounts with them. That can sometimes be annoying.

One good thing is about a year ago our business debit card was stolen and someone racked up like $10k worth of gambling charges. The had the money back in our account within a couple days and removed all the overdraft charges within a week.

5. shaaz w

shaaz w Member

I work for Washington Mutual. Let me know if you are interested in switching banks and need a direction for a fair bank. I will not tell you about our accounts unless you want me to....

I really think they speak for themselves. and NO, I am not trying to sell anything... you can check it out yourself online at www.wamu.com

I opened my first account with Washington Mutual when I was 18 yrs old and have had them since then. I started working for them 3 yrs ago and love the work ethics so much with the company that even after I graduated, I am looking to stay with Wamu and grow with the company.

Guaranteed BEST checking account SO FAR compared to ANY bank.

our investigations on situations like the ones you explained don't take more than 1 or 2 day. actually, I don't think I have ever experienced something like that myself in my 3 yrs of working there.

there are many branches all over the US, especially in houston. but customer service still prevails with WAMU.

let me know if you need details on the account.

hope this helped.

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I have accounts at Bank Of America and Woodforest...well let's just say Woodforest makes BOA look like the best bank in the world. On the other hand, I've heard great things about Washington Mutual, and honestly I think I'll be switching there after I graduate.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

BOA (it was "NCNB" or "NationsBank" at the time) gave me a home improvement loan 15 years ago after ITT turned me down. I've been a loyal and very satisfied customer ever since. They always take care of me. No problems with them at all.

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I'm with Washington Mutual. I've been with them since I was 18 or 19. It was easy for me because my sister worked there.

I had my card jacked, and it took them a few days, maybe less than three days for them to get it back in there.

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

It is even better....now that we're the same.

10. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

yea I had the exact same problem.
    I called the number, they changed my pin number(it was from my checking account) and like 2 days later the money was back. I only had to wait like 2 minutes when I called though.

11. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Pocket Rocket......

I had the EXACT same issue, with the exception of the actual cause. I logged into my account online, as I do everyday, and there was a 10k check that cleared....the number was out of sequence, and the check was pending, so I could not view it to see an image of the check.

They told me the same thing. It had to clear before they could do anything. I was highly disturbed and frustrated. Not to mention the first gal I spoke with said she would put a stop payment on the check. She told me to call back the next day, and check on the status and she would notate the account accodingly to help the next person in assisting me. So, I called at 8 am the next morning. The second gal I spoke with said there was no way they could have put a stop payment on a check that was already pending. So I asked, "Aren't YOU guys supposed to be the expert and know this stuff?"

She apologizes, and says not only is there not a stop payment, but there were no notes in the account to show who helped me the previous evening. HUH!? So, then she tells me that there is no transaction for 10k showing at all. No record of it. Nowhere. It disappeared without a trace!!

I asked what the heck could have caused this, and she said it was probably a teller error. My wife had written a check a few days prior, and she thought that the teller entered it wrong or entered someone else's transaction into our account.

WOW.......I monitored the account and it never reappeared. But that was alarming. In any case, I have been with BOFA since 1993. But this was the first time anything like this happened.

12. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

I'm with BA since 2000 and I'm now in the process of moving my accounts to my credit union. I had a similar problem with my credit union but they resolved the problem and customer service was just awesome, friendly and responsive. I now have a problem with my BA credit card account that's why I'm closing it as soon as my rewards are transferred.

DCU rocks. BA Sucks.

13. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

I bank with Wamu also, BUT 1 or 2 days for their investigations?!!! I think not.

I have a Wamu debit card (checking account) that I use constantly. It beats carrying cash. I checked my balance last Monday and everything was fine. Then 2 days later on Wednesday I get a decline on my card for a $10 purchase. I ask them to run it again and explain it's not a credit card, it's debit. But once again it comes up declined.
    I call Wamu and they tell me I have a $9 balance with $400 pending from a purchase at walmart. I couldn't believe it. I haven't, out of principle, shopped at a walmart in over 4 years. And especially not since I got my new (former) debit card. But like, hoop-t mentioned, nothing could be done until the tranasaction went through.

They gave me a claim id# about 17 digits long and said they would send me paperwork to fill out so they can begin an investigation and that they would credit my account in a couple of days. I called Tuesday, due to labor day, and checked my account and my checking acct. had been credited with the $400 but I still had not received anything as far as paperwork. I called and told them about the call I made to them on Wed. and that I wanted to know how this could have happened. I gave the lady the claim id# and the lady said that that number had nothing to do with the investigation. I ask her why they gave it to me then. It was just to show that I had called them to notify them of what had happened.

I still haven't received the paperwork that they want me to fill out. I asked her how long these things take to get resolved and she said 2 months!!! Some time in November. I got credited and all, but I want to know how this happened and god forbid walmart, being the scum they are, try and contest this claim.

And the tough thing is that, up until now, Wamu has been a great bank. But the fact that the folks at local branch here in Vegas said that there was nothing they could do AND the fact that I was told that this investigation could last up to 2 months, is making me seriously consider dropping them when this mess gets cleared up once and for all.

Sorry for the long post....

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i wish i had 7k for someone to accidently withdraw.

:( :p

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I have used Wamu now for a year and I am very satisfied with them.

16. mushashipower

mushashipower Member

i work for boa and its a pretty good place to work at =). why dont u just go to an actual bank and talk to the personal banker instead of waiting 45 mins on the phone.

17. Extraordinary_2

Wellsfargo very good, Wamu, cheap and good, others, not so good.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

been with BoA (or its predecessors) for many years.. never had an issue at all. They've always been extremely helpful.

Anytime I have an issue, I e-mail them using the website's "send message" function, and I get a reply within a day or 2. That's faster than waiting on any phone for me..

19. Pocket Rockets

thanks for all the posts guys....

update on the issue:

apparently im being robbed right in front of my face. later this evening i go back to check my accounts again and there are two more transactions that total 13k....that are pending. so a total of 20k has been taken out of my savings account from a bank in california as a cash withdrawal. :mad:

needless to say i tried calling the bank at around 6pm and stayed on the phone til about 715, with no help whatsoever. The only thing they did was put a hold on the account so no transaction could occur until i transfer the money to another account.

Why the hell did they not do this the 1st time??

if i go to the branch near me they will end up putting me on the phone, i know this because its what happened last time. This is just a horrible experience that ive had to endure the last 48 hours.

the only thing i can do is wait while people continue to take my money. personally i believe this has to be an inside job at the bank in california.

i hope to god that this gets resolved and i get my money back so i can transfer my money to another bank.

unfreaking real.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's horrible, man. I hope it all gets straightened out soon.

I'm with WaMu. I recently made a large purchase using my debit card. They declined it (even though I had more than enough in my account to cover it) because apparently you're not allowed to use the card for more than 3K in any given 24 hour period. It doesn't matter how much you have in your account.

This really threw a major snag into my plans to propose to my GF, if you know what I mean. I called and asked if they could make an exception, since I was on the phone telling them the transaction is legit and I had more than enough in my account. The girl just said no because it's against the rules. I expressed my displeasure (which I normally don't do) and she responded by trying to sell me a credit card.... :rolleyes:

Is this normal? Is there a limit on debit card transactions in a 24 hour period, even if you have more than enough to cover it?

Other than this incident, and the fact that WaMu charges me for using non-WaMu ATM's (why do banks do this??), I've been very happy with them.