1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Cologne

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Dec 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I have both but I like Pure Malt more, it's actually one of my favs. Really interested in what the new one will smell like, wonder if they are gonna jump on the oud bandwagon. Also, just got my bottle of Virgin Island Water... can't wait til it gets a little warmer to wear this one!

2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

For you fancy schmancy cologne brehs, any thoughts on Givenchy "Gentlemen's only"?

I tried it out today and was really digging the scent. Took a look at that and Versace Eros and I'm definitely feeling the Givenchy more.

Anyone else tried it out?

3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I sampled Gentlemen Only not too long ago and thought it was really nice, but haven't been compelled to buy a bottle yet for whatever reason. Overall, I think it's a better scent than Versace Eros, but Eros outperforms in longevity/projection if that matters to you. Another important factor is what settings you plan on using it in, as the Givenchy is more of a signature/classy/work scent and Eros is more suited for nights-out/clubbing. Also, keep in mind that the summer is rapidly approaching and Eros is sickly sweet (at least to my nose), so it could get really cloying in the heat.

Lastly, not sure where you were planning on buying, but I'd recommend one of the following:

1. FragranceNet (code CPM3X for 21% off)

2. amazon (make sure it's shipped and sold by amazon)

3. FragranceNet thru amazon (on the right side of the link in #2)

Fragrancenet and Amazon are both 100% legit and don't sell fakes, plus they have great customer service. Hell, you can get 100ml bottles of both GGO and Eros for a little more than the retail price of just one of them.

(BTW, if you want more recs other than these 2, let me know the season/time of day/occasion/price range and I will get back to you)

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Doritos Cool Ranch

5. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

I was on that yves saint laurent cologne and ran out ...decided to be cheap for the moment and been using Egyptian Musk oil .

6. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

Just finished my YSL la nuit bottle. Really enjoyed it. Looking for suggestions on my next cologne.

I did actually get Gucci guilty as a gift. Really awesome gesture from a friend. I'm really specific about my cologne so I'm still working on my opinion of it lol

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Brosef, that was what I thought about the Eros as well. Def wasn't feeling it. Like you said, the Givenchy is more classy/work type scent.

Yeah I've known about fragrancenet, heard it from some chick a while back but hadn't been using it much. The discount code is def helpful and I will get back to using the site.

'Preciate the assistance but trust me, you, DudeWah and Dr of Dunk are bringing the cologne knowledge to this thread. Already been trying out a lot of y'alls recommendations lol. Will def hit you and the others up with any others not mentioned here that I might need y'alls thoughts on. :)

8. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Season? Time of day? Occasion (casual/formal/work/signature/clubbing/date/etc)? Price range?

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't wear cologne that often….unfortunately allergic to the vast majority of them..

but i do have about 20 i can wear from time to time.

maybe some of these more obscure ones might be of interest to you hardcores here to check out:

armand basi in blue
    j&e atkinsons i coloniali
    floris summer limes
    sisley eau de campagne
    acqua di parma fico di amalfi
    acqua di parma cipresso di toscana
    kiton men
    just cavalli him
    eau de rochas homme
    acca kappa 1869
    st dupont noir

10. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Not a fan. For lime-based scents, I prefer Energy C by Comme des Garçons, West Indian Limes by Truefitt and Hill, and Eau de Cologne Imperiale by Guerlain.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i actually had the West Indian Limes shaving cream about 10yrs ago but never liked the fragrance…….will check out the other 2 though - thanks!

12. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

Looking for a formal wear as well one for clubbing\dates. probably under $100. A few months ago i checked out dior homme, liked it but didnt fall in love right away.

Really enjoyed the YSL la nuit, i think was a great fit for my own body chemistry. received a lot of compliments on it so i wanna recapture the magic lol. before that my favorite cologne was versace pour homme

13. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Acqua di Gio, or Cool Water.

14. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Honestly if you liked La Nuit that much (and I think it's great), you should just get another bottle. If you want to try something new, for formal night-time I'd recommend Dior Homme Intense. It's similar to Dior Homme, but less iris and more cocoa. As far as clubbing, my favorite recently has been Thierry Mugler Pure Malt... compliments literally every time I go out wearing this one. Neither one would be ideal in the summer daytime heat, however.

1 person likes this.
  15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

For a general formal wear cologne check out gio essenza. Not too pricey. Has the name recognition. Good longevity. Use it as a starting point.

Some others you can prob find in any Macy's are: d&g the one, john varvatos, zegna, maybe even bvlgari soir.

But I agree with gnomo. If you like something a lot, stick with it.

1 person likes this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

a close friend of mine has been having a problem finding her favorite perfume, which was discontinued a few years ago. do you guys have any suggestion for a place that might still have a bottle of Emilio Pucci Vivara (released 2007) for sale? thanks

17. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Looks like there's a few on eBay, kinda pricey though... even though eBay is littered with fakes, it's usually a pretty good place to find the discontinued stuff.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

thanks, but i just saw that they're all other versions of the original (ie. vivara 'aqua' or vivara 'sole')

19. el gnomo

el gnomo Member