1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Boxing] Floyd Mayweather to fight Cotto

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by lue03, Feb 1, 2012.

1. spydermex

spydermex Member

id add carlos molina, eryslanda lara, Martirosyan.

even martinez who's natural weight is probably 154.

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

24/7 on tonight

3. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

Since Canelo Alvarez is fighting Shane Mosley on the same card, which fighter's girlfriend is hotter?;)
    Marisol Gonazlez (Canelo's girlfriend)
    [​IMG]
    Bella Gonzalez (Mosley's girlfriend)
    [​IMG]

4. esteban

esteban Member

Man, Latina women!!!
    My vote is for Canelo's girlfriend, Mosley's babe looks photo enhanced.

5. Dei

Dei Member

More or less the same league, then. Doesn't take anything away from Cotto, at all.

6. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

let the talks begin..

can't bet on Money there's not much money to win for a 100 dollar bet. but i'm going to bet on Shane. I think Saul is still slow and my 100 can win 350.

7. Relentless

Relentless Member

Canelo is gonna beat Mosley. Sorry Bro

8. Dei

Dei Member

Yeah. Mosley should be retired already.

9. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

I'm still going to buy the fight... But the build up for this fight has really sucked.

10. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

seriously. It's like I'm more aware of Cinco De Mayo coming up...but maybe that's because I'm mexican. :cool:

11. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

another boring fight...

12. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Martinez's comfortable fighting weight is 160. He would struggle a bit to make 154 at his age. Last time he fought at 154 was when he fought Cintron like 3 years ago.

and I mean what he weighed in at.

13. bladeage

He absolutely is not quick, Cotto has always been slow. And he isn't smart because he doesn't really change up during the fight, he will hardly ever adjust when he's getting his ass kicked. Another problem with Cotto is his conditioning, he bounces around too much and doesn't do anything while bouncing. He circles the ring way too wide instead of circling his opponent in the center. His strategy he had against Margarito could possibly work a couple of times against Mayweather. I'm referring to how he let Margarito walk him down towards the ropes then slip a punch and turn him. Turning an opponent is something that not a lot of boxers do anymore but is very effective. I teach all my boxers to do that.

14. coolweather

pacquiao and floyd barely connect who is much faster than Canelo... we'll see.

15. bladeage

Floyd connected plenty, because he got Mosley to follow him around pretty much the whole fight. Pac didn't connect because Mosley decided not to make the same mistake again.

16. coolweather

and floyd knockdown mosley while pacman did not.

17. bladeage

Pacman knocked him down, Floyd didn't. But Floyd made Mosley look like an amateur.

18. Burko

Burko Member

This is what the boxing world has been reduced to....

You can't have a fight between the top 2 guys, so you have to compare their performances against similar opponents...

19. codell

codell Contributing Member

Yeah, so it has become obvious that Floyd is indeed scared of Manny.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...nny-pacquiao-uses-performance-enhancing-drugs

LAS VEGAS -- Floyd Mayweather Jr. delivered quite a performance Tuesday and it had nothing to do with his boxing skills.

A question sparked a 10-minute speech from Mayweather, regarding the tireless topic of why he and fellow pound-for-pound great Manny Pacquiao have not come to terms on a potential multimillion dollar fight.

In a response that eventually drew applause from his entourage, Mayweather once again said it is "basic common sense" that Pacquiao has used performance-enhancing drugs and getting in the ring with him would be a risk to his future health.

"Health is more important than anything," Mayweather said. "Because guess what? When my career is over, if I'm hurt because of something that has happened in a fight, I can't come to you and say, 'I need (money).' "

Mayweather's hardest point came when he admitted that he believes the boxing world doesn't even care if Pacquiao is using or not -- that the desire to see the two fight now surpasses any concern over his safety.

"People say, 'We don't give a f--- if he's taking or not; we just want to see the fight. We don't give a f--- about your health and we don't give a f--- about your family.' " Mayweather said.

"I care about my family. I love my family. They're going to be there when no one else is there. When my career is over, you're all going to move on to the next one."

He went on to accuse Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, who represents Pacquiao, and Don King of not caring about fighters' well being and re-emphasized he won't forfeit health for money. A fight against Pacquiao would be expected to be the highest grossing bout in boxing history.

"Don King and Bob Arum don't see out the eyes of a fighter because they're not a fighter," Mayweather said. "All they care about is some f------ money. I care about a fighter's well being because I am a fighter.

"I know how it is to have a broken rib the rest of your life. I know how it is to piss blood. You all don't know nothing about this."

Mayweather has pointed to Pacquiao's rise through weight classes and the transfer of his power through them as evidence of steroid use. Since 2008, Pacquiao has won titles in five weight divisions and recorded four knockouts in nine fights.

"It took me years to get to here -- years," Mayweather said. "I'm going up in weight but I'm not walking through no damn fighters. (Pacquiao) is 106; now he decides to walk through (Miguel) Cotto? Cotto can't knock down (Shane) Mosley, but can he?"

Mayweather began his professional career at 130 pounds in 1996. He's fought the majority of his career as a welterweight. Saturday's fight against Cotto will be contested at 154 pounds.

In December 2009, a deal between the two nearly came to terms but ultimately fell through when Pacquiao refused to submit to random blood testing.

The Filipino and Arum, who represented Mayweather earlier in his career, since have softened their stance on that request. Mayweather scoffed at Arum's comments Tuesday, referring to him as a "professional liar."

"This is how the world is, you get writers saying, 'Floyd is scared,' " he said. "No, Floyd cares about his family. Floyd is smart.

"You all know for a fact I'm not scared. You all know that."

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I hope Cotto ends his career Saturday.