1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sounds like Ron...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Andy Sheets, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

From the OC Register

It'll be interesting to see how much of this occurs during the regular season :)

2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Artest is a wayy better 3 pt shooter than Ariza.

3. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Yeah he is and that's about it. Ariza can still knock down the trey and he is a way better slasher, cutter and finisher. Moves great off the ball and can still play within the offense (triangle) and hopefully for us this year (motion). Artest, what I remember of him throughout last year was: jacking up off balance 3's, making me nervous to death trying to create his own shot off the block, melting the clock, his dribbling, turnovers, his missed drives to the basket, and lack of playmaking skills. Did I mention his dribbling? :D The guy was too predictable and everyone knew he was going to jack up a ill-advised shot regardless of position or who was open for the better shot. The opposition was purposely setting up for the ball to be in his hands because the knew he would shoot regardless if he's in a slump or not. I'm not going to take anything away from him because he did have his moments helping us but I found myself just plain out nervous when the ball ended up in his hands. He's a small foward that thinks he can play the 2.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If you break down their 3 point percentage at similar stages of their careers, they are very similar. After his 1st two season, Artest was 103 for 339 for a .303 percentage.

Ariza is 70 for 234 for his career which is .299.

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

But he DID play the 2 for us.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If any team can live with Artest in solo-mode its LA. Their notorious lackadaisical approach suits someone who is tuned-in looking for his shots at all times like Artest. He won't take time off. So his antics can't hurt LA, if Artest is hot it makes them that much tougher because now they have a pretty decent scorer looking to score at times when they are used to dozing off. If Artest is off it will snap his teammates back into reality quicker than usual.

win-win

7. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Phil is not Rick Adelman. Lakers are not Houston Rockets unless Kobe goes out.

If he does that in games consistently, than I am sure Phill will sit him down, bring him off the bench or even shut him down.

It will be INTERESTING.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

as interesting as pulling the pin on a hand grenade and waiting

9. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Great point ziggy. LA is much different from the Rockets and they have so much fire power. LA always seemed like a fourth quarter team where they would turn it up. Other times they tend to slack and thats where there weakness is; playing the first 3 quarters that is. If they slacked enough to keep the opposition close or ahead by the fourth, that's where there losses would be coming from. If Artest goes into solo mode and lights it up, thats a win. If he starts being Ron Artest, that'll surely wake up kobe, pau, or whoever is going to step up for them; another win. Phil shutting down Artest will be very interesting though if it gets to that point. Can he defer to kobe, pau, and odom is the question.

10. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Artest is really a good set 3pt shooter but his ill-advised decision-making is what screws him over. If he just is patient, plays within the offense and shoots smart 3's, he would be a very effective player. He expands his game more than his skillset actually warrants. I hope the Lakers implode after seeing his playing habits.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He's going to ruin that team. Phil's zen magic is overrated. MJ kept Rodman in line in Chicago and it helped that Rodman was also a fierce competitor who just happened to love letting MJ and Pippen take all the shots while he rebounded and defended. Ron likes shooting the ball more than anything.

Phil Jackson couldn't even keep the Shaq/Kobe mess under control. It's a testament to how talented (and lucky with officiating) that Laker team was for it to win three Championships.

Kobe isn't a leader. He's an ultra-talented player who "leads" by intimidation. How the eff is that gonna work the first time he tries to bully Ron? Good luck not getting your teeth knocked out, Kobe. The Lakers are screwed. Sit Ron or kick him off the team and now you have a gaping hole at SF. No Ariza and then no Ron = no ring. Keep Ron and that team will implode when the pressure comes.

12. 1individual

1individual Member

I can't wait to see Kobe dribbling as the clock is ticking down, 3, 2, passes it to Artest, who shoots an airball 1 mile away from the net.

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

artest is a very good shooter if he simply spots up, just like ariza. therefore, if artest takes good shots, there won't be problems.

artest's problem last year was that he thinks he's that good, and can be a playmaker and create things off the dribble. that he's terrible at.

14. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Most players won't make an off-balance 3, Artest is no different. Artest is a very good 3 point shooter if he gets his feet set. The Lakers need to start him, he wasn't very good coming off the bench for us last year. He hit his stride when Tmac went down and he started for the Rox, shouldn't be any different for the Lakers.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thats the 1 element Artest provides the Lakers thats most different from Ariza. Lakers benefitted from Ariza's through-the-system approach. Good or bad, they also have the luxury of implementing Artest's solo-mode.

Ariza's LA background was a benefit. Artest and Odom being good friends with the NY connection could be a benefit. Before Rockets fans huff and puff about that...wasnt Rockets team chemistry, WITH Artest, considered their big asset? Lets not discount it for everyone else all of a sudden :) (Though Roxs fans can say it was good in spite of Artest)

Lakers can more or less break even. The cost for the Rox would have been higher to RETAIN Artest, so Rockets get a younger more affordable player to build toward the future. Ariza gets better with age, Artest worse, but there isnt consensus saying Ariza's best = Artest's worse, just yet.