1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's give Joe the Plumber a little time off...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Zboy, Oct 19, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

#1 Zboy, Oct 19, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you. I hadn't heard of him until this morning when Powell mentioned him.

I agree he deserves more attention than Joe the non-plumber who would benefit more from Obama's tax plan.

Unlike Joe, Khan is a real hero.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

So Kareem is as American as Joe. It only took his life to prove it.

RIP to him and all the servicemen and women who laid down their lives for our dreams.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No Doubt!

Rocket River

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It's a shame to die so young. He was only 20. Powell was right. The anti-muslim sentiment is crazy. Being a muslim doesn't him any less of an american hero.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Obama shows how far we have come. The wingnuts at the Palin rallies show us how far we still have to go.

This guy was a hero just like everyone else who has died for this country without asking much in return.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Some of our rather boorish, boastful, chest-thumping psuedo-patriots on this forum should pay a visit to this thread.

8. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

9. Landlord Landry

who said Plumber Joe was a hero?

10. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

no one, but the majority of people in the McCain/Palin rallies justified their decision to vote against Obama by simply stating that he's a "muslim" .. which is sad on so many levels, since, #1, he's not really a muslim, but a christian, and #2, the man's faith shouldn't be a determinant of whether ur gonna vote for him or not, and, most importantly, #3: what IF he was muslim? what if a muslim ran for president?

as a muslim and an Arab AMERICAN myself, it's rather sad that the words "muslim" and "arab" became slurs that imply negative things.. kinda like when old racist lady told McCain that Obama is an arab, so he confidently replied "no, he's a decent man", and I don't know about you, but to me this implies that an "arab" or a "muslim" is an antonym of "decent", and I take special offense to that..

it's really sad..

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have no idea who said it.

the thread title suggested spending more time talking about Khan instead of Joe. I was merely furthering the distinction between the two. I didn't accuse anyone of saying Joe was a hero.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They won't. They have looked at it. They have read it.
    They have fallen Silent. In this thread. . . IMO . .their is no place for their drivel. And even they have to acknowledge that.

Support Warriors is different than Support Wars.
    If I support the Men and Women of the military . . .
    does not necessarily mean you support the war
    and
    Just because you support the war . . . doesn't mean you support the Troops

Rocket River

13. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Joe the Plumber is classic douchebag that rivals that of Spencer from the Hills.

[​IMG]

14. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

RIP cpl Khan. Let's hope your sacrifice allows people to see the other side of "patriotism". Discrimination and prejudice doesn't belong in this country.

And this guy is 1000000000000x better than that idiot, Joe the Plumber.

15. Landlord Landry

I'm not gonna lie to you Mac, it took a long time for me to quit looking at most people of middle eastern decent without prejudice after 9/11. I know thats wrong as most Muslims do not condone the events that took place that day, but 9/11 was a tough pill to swallow.

as far as the McCain comment......it sounds like he was taking the high road.

16. Landlord Landry

I'm cool with that. Love him or hate him, I think Joe's 15 minutes should have been up about 3 days ago.

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Rest In Peace Cpl. Khan. You were a brave young man.

That being said, after reading his story, and especially his father's reaction, this is what I thought of:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ohXsdbF-7jc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ohXsdbF-7jc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

We owe our troops better.

18. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Its funny McCain didn't say anything about there being nothing wrong about being an Arab, rather he just stated 'No he's not an Arab, he's a good guy'. But I guess that just the reality of the U.S political environment; he couldn't really say anything other than what he said.... what I thought was weirder was that nobody in the media brought it up, don’t understand why not....

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Colin Powell said something which I am sure both candidates recognize, but neither had the politicla courage to say: that there wouldn't be anything wrong if Obama was a Muslim.

McCain of course spoke of Obama not being an Arab, but a decent family man. I don't recall hearing the Obama camp coming out with the "so what if he was" reply, either, to the rumors.

I kind of understand that neither camp wanted to take the electoral risk, but I am glad Colin Powell said something about it.

20. MystikArkitect

Sad someone like this couldn't be a central point in someone's campaign. A true American hero who gave his life to a country filled with people that hate his faith simply because they don't understand it.

And yet someone like Joe the Plumber, someone who's apparently owed taxes for quite some time and only questions Obama's policies in a strictly hypothetical (and selfish) sense, gets the limelight. It's amazing.