1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dentists

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocketman95, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Anyone have a recommendation for one in the Galleria area. I am going to admit that I am a complete wussy when it comes to dentists and it's been a while since I've been to one. It looks like there's going to be some work that needs to be done, so if any of you know of a really good one that caters to big babies like me, it'd be much appreciated.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

what kind of work? most dentists are more than capable. if you have insurance, then i would go to your insurance provider's website and find one that fits your insurance plan and is in the area you are looking.

i took some time off (~ 3 years) from the dentist. i recently got back in. i had to go for essentially 2 (brutal) cleanings and get 3 minor cavities filled. i noticed that...because i hadn't been in a while...my gums were receding a little (even though i flossed daily). but, i got in there and they got me fixed up...albeit the pain in the immediate aftermath (a day or two after) after going to town in my mouth sucked. but, the gums and teeth recovered nicely. now, i feel as good as new.

i think i learned my lesson about skipping out on the dentist. it wasn't all that bad...but it's much easier to just go regularly every 6 months. the amount of tartar and plaque build-up...regardless of how well you maintain your mouth...is considerable if you skip out. i used to go once a year. but, even then, it was still kind of bad as far as build-up.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I broke a tooth a month or so ago and then I think I broke another one earlier this week. What's weird is that the first one didn't hurt at all. Not a bit. Add a decade to your time off and that's how long it's been for me.

This is not going to be fun.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

ouch. i don't have any experience with broken teeth personally. it's not something i would wait on, however. good luck with that.

5. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

6. tested911

tested911 Member

Yeah that is a great place.. My kids started going there about 6 months ago and we rave about their dentist.. Now the staff (front desk, scheduler ) on the other hand SUCKS!!! They screwed up our appointments a couple of times and is really non friendly but the dentist working on our kids teeth was excellent.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's the first one that popped up on my insurance's website. Thanks!

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

FYI, some of my friends hate/are scared of dental work.. they have convinced dentist's that they are SO freaked, that they will only have work done when given drugs. And there are dentists that agree to it. They will put you under, give you laughing gas, etc.. Just a thought depending on how much of a "wuss" you are with it.

9. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I just picked up my son from his new dentist........plenty of nice looking young gals there. Its no wonder why he was ready to go this morning.

10. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Which dentists and how young were the gals?

11. MoBalls

Stop asking me questions like that pinche stalker.

They looked in their early 20's.....

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And I'm just supposed to guess where this is? Of course, I'm sure they'll be so impressed with a 31 year-old who is scared of the dentist.

I have my reasons. :)

13. MoBalls

message sent

14. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Gracias.

I think I'm going to go to Miles of Smiles because it's right around the corner from where I work.

16. MoBalls

Dont cry like a little girl.

Like when I won that tournament at Stacks place. ;)

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That was my big boy cry!

And it wouldn't be the first time I've cried in a doctor's office. :D

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I have some recommendations, but the dentists I know are pretty expensive to visit. Your bill will be in the thousands after each visit, haha.

Honestly though, if you go to a place and get xrays taken, and you question the dentist's proposed treatment, then you can email (digital xrays) or send me a copy of the xrays and I can give you a second opinion. Good luck.

19. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

My dentist is Thomas O'Brien and he is south of the galleria, 610 and Beechnut.

He does a lot of sports medicine and you can see some pro athletes there. Yao uses him, as do a bunch of other Rockets. It is not at all unusual to see someone famous while you are there. Plus, you can chat about sports with him. He has season tickets to the Rockets and the Texans. The hygenist will talk your ear off, but get her to tell you the story about cleaning Yao's teeth, it is pretty funny.

20. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

Oops, I forgot to mention that he believe in laughing gas and keeping the patient calm.