1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade JJ Watt for Matt Ryan?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by CoolGuy, Jul 29, 2014.

?

Would you trade JJ Watt for Matt Ryan?

1. Yes, make the trade

59 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. No, stand pat

343 vote(s)
    85.3%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Bruce Smith

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Matt Ryan has as much playoff success as Matt Schaub.

Let that sink in

3. Remii

Remii Member

All time great player but has no rings.

4. Mr. Clutch

Dwight Freeney

5. Mr. Clutch

Michael Strahan

6. Mr. Clutch

Simeon Rice

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The one with all the rings...

They'd think long and hard about it - remember, salary and age are factors. Cutler is due a lot of money and he's 31 years old.

Flacco because of his contract; Eli, too - though he's also old (33). Tannenhill is probably a no - but he, and Dalton, are dime-a-dozen QBs.

Well, you've created an incredibly small criteria unlikely to produce very many results. How many teams have won the Super Bowl when their best player was on defense? Happened last year... Having said that - I agree that very few teams would make the trade if they have a top12(ish) QB.

8. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Kind of off topic, but a lot of people here are selling Russell Wilson short (no pun intended). Seattle doesn't make the playoffs without that guy. Not in that division. And he's just entering his third year. He's not a Brad Johnson/Trent Dilfer type. He's the most valuable player on that roster.

9. Remii

Remii Member

Great player but that defense was complete garbage without Bob Sanders and they also had Manning.

I already said the Giants.

Great player but I'm not sure he was the best player on that Tampa defense. Sapp and Brooks may be fighting for that title.

Richard Seymour maybe one but I thought the LB's and Ty Law was the backbone of that defense _ and plus they had Brady.

Julius Peppers came ohhh so close...

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

He threw 407 passes last year, which ranked 22nd overall in the NFL (and wasn't lower only because usual starters like Rodgers, Cutler, Schaub, Bradford and Vick were injured/struggled). It was 252 fewer passes than league-leading Peyton Manning (or 15/game). He was very efficient, no question. But it's hard to argue he was their most valuable player when he threw 25/passes a game while his leading rusher averaged 19 carries/game and his defense allowed 14 points/game.

He makes good decisions; he's a terrific runner - but any notion he's among Seattle's... ten-best players is hard to fathom. He might be; he has upside. But he's the latest in a long line of QBs who get waaaay too much credit when his team wins.

11. Remii

Remii Member

No I meant why trade J.J. for Eli or Flacco... Those guys are good in the playoffs but still have to have a team good enough to get them to the playoffs. Marvin is married to Andy so he wouldn't do it. And Cincinnati already has a dominant defense so why add J.J. who would kill their cap. They probably would rather have A.J.

It can be seriously argued that Lynch was the best player on Seattle especially considering he did what he did behind a terrible offensive line. But my question was what teams have won a super bowl with the defensive end being the best player on defense.

I said the Giants. Mr Clutch has also brought up Green Bay (Reggie) and Indy.

12. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Matt Ryan isnt that great, look what happened, when Roddy White played hurt most of the season, and Julio Jones got injured, you only got left a very old Tony Gonzalez.

for example, Brady, that lost 90% of the previous season offensive production, including Gronk, and Vereen, for the first 8 games, and still was great, and had a good record.

13. ln3012

ln3012 Member

this would be a better question if we were talking about another qb. would the Texans have traded the number 1 overall pick this year for Matt Ryan? No. And they certainly wouldn't trade something even more valuable in JJ Watt. Matt Ryan is closer to Schaub in his prime than a Brees, Manning, Brady, Rodgers.

14. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

"Defense wins championships, look at last season.."

#RussellWilson

I would take worse QBs for Watt..

This isn't the same NFL..

JJ's a great player, and that goes without saying.. But so is Robert Quinn, but who cares when Stafford is continuously leading them mediocre seasons.. Same for guys like Jarred Allen, Cameron Wake, Jason Pierre Paul, Mario Williams, and so on..

Those are all All-Star pass rushers.. but their best season performances pale in comparison to the contribution a quarterback has on a season..

I would take Peyton, Cam, Brees, Ryan, Luck, Wilson, Rodgers, Brady, Foles, Rivers, Cutler, Big Ben, hell even a healthy RGIII...

proven quality quarterbacks are the most valuable pieces in the league..

A potential hall of fame defensive lineman is less valuable then an above average qb right now in the league.

15. Mr. Clutch

By that logic, why don't we just acquire an above average QB without trading Watt instead?

They sure seem pretty common.

16. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Prime Schaub wasn't even on the same level as Ryan last year. And don't even try to throw stats at me. Just go look up Ryan's career and compare it to Schaub.

17. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Wow there are so many delusional posters. I feel the need to defend Matt Ryan. He has a 60-34 career record, and that was with a 4-12 year last season!

He has thrown more touchdowns in his first 6 seasons than Matt Schaub has thrown in his entire career! And he has a much better TD-INT ratio.

Look at Peyton's first 6 years, and they don't look that much different than Ryan's. It's unlikely he becomes anything near that, but he has a decent chance to win a ring or two.

I'm not sure I would trade JJ for him, but there is almost no question that a QB of his caliber is more important than any other player on the field. You can find serviceable players at every position. The hardest thing to find is a good QB.

18. Mr. Clutch

Yep, he's good.

So what?

Watt is the best defensive player in the league.

19. Houston Rockets

Out of all the all star pash rushers you named none have a defensive MVP award. He does soo much more then just rush the passer.

20. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

How many games did we end up losing right at the end of games or because of Schaub. You can say that our Qb play was so bad last year that it didn't matter what we had on defense. It is not the same to say that an elite quarter back would have taken us to the playoffs if we don't have jjwatt.

Jjwatt changes an entire offensive scheme. You can't even run to his side like you can on over aggressive outside pass rushers. You have trouble throwing the ball on his side because he's always batting balls down.

Since in this game players don't generally affect both sides of the ball... I would wager that JJwatt has as much impact as a Qb.