1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ty Lawson Effect

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Nov 7, 2015.

1. mockster

mockster Member

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/playergamelog?playerId=4000

That's ty Lawson game log

So far how do you think ty Lawson has contributed/made us better and will continue to make is better or worse?, and are you pleased with his current play?.

First few games he didn't do much and was timid to make a play.

We saw our first Ty Lawson occurance in the OKC game raking up 14 points 11 assist and 4 steals and made some huge plays to keep us in the game. Other notable game was vs Orlando with 16 points and 8 assist

Despite not only having 13 points and 2 assist in his last game he seems to have improved. I think when he's in the groove he does make our offense flow much better and is very pass oriented and sets people up very

What do Yall think so far?

2. mockster

mockster Member

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think we should build our offense around him.

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

his spot up 3 pt shooting has been a nice surprise

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Ty is having the same problem Lin had here in Houston. Despite Harden not caring if Ty takes over, Ty continues to just give the ball to Harden the moment he crosses half court and then stands in the corner. It's like he thinks that he shouldn't run the offense* if Harden is on the floor. Even when Harden is off the floor he doesn't really attack

I like what he brings but he needs to be more aggressive. I've noticed he turns it on during winning time (pts asts, stls), but kind of disappears during the flow of the game.

6. bmd

bmd Member

I don't mind if he defers to Harden when he's on the floor with him... but you are right, he isn't nearly aggressive enough when Harden is on the bench.

7. OpenLayup-Why3?

Dude played 40 mins and I haven't even noticed him. Story of Lawson in Houston so far. Disappointing so far

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I've been happy with Lawson so far. I think people are underestimating the difficulty of merging two ball-dominant players into an offense together. It takes time. Much longer than just 6 games.

It's up to McHale to be able to provide an offense that successfully utilizes their skill sets together rather than just taking turns handling the ball. I do agree that Lawson needs to be more aggressive when Harden is out, but overall I've liked what I've seen.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't think it's a Lin problem, I think Harden has way way more trust in Lawson in comparison to Lin, he actually seems quite happy for Ty to bring up the ball, but Lawson seems to have no confidence in himself to attack which is weird.

his drives are good, but i think he will benefit more from having a finisher rather than Hayes or Montrezl as the roll man

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Lawson's been a sneaky good team defender. His presence when he has the ball has added a whole new wrinkle into our 4th quarter offense.

When Beverly and Harden ran the 1,2 PnR, Beverly would have tons of space to either shoot because they would play off him to cover the rim, or overplay him to stop him from shooting. When they did the latter, he couldn't capitalize too much and defenses didn't respect his drive. So when he passed out, it would lead to a contested 3 on Ariza's end.

When Lawson is coming off the PnR, teams are overplaying him but they are respecting his penetration ability. When Lawson is penetrating, he's sucking in the defenses which had led to more open 3s.

There has been a bit too much Harden ISO near the end, but that has happened with no Dwight. When Dmo is back, that adds another wrinkle to our 4th quarter offense. He is going to be that calming presence like Harden is with his consistent post scoring ability and shooting ability.

11. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

I think some blame for Ty passing to Harden right away goes to Harden and McHale. Harden stands behind the 3 point line with no motion thus creating no movement on offense and Lawson as a PG has to pass it to Harden. This is where McHale needs to step up and have Harden always come up to the 3 point line from a down screen. While the down screen is taking place, Lawson will have the ball and have opportunity to drive, or make play elsewhere or give it Harden once he comes off the screen. This way Lawson will have opportunity to have ball in his hands at the beginning of shot clocks and Harden at the end of shot clock with 10 seconds remaining.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He hasn't been unleashed.

13. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

I real "non armchair quarterback" point of view from an actual NBA Coach:

George Karl thinks Ty Lawson will excel in pairing with James Harden
    By Jonathan Feigen on November 6, 2015 at 8:48 PM

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – After four seasons spent coaching Ty Lawson in Denver, Kings coach George Karl believed Lawson can be even more effective playing next to James Harden. With Harden, teams rarely can put their best defender on the ball on Lawson, potentially making his quickness even more of an issue.

“It’s a double-edged sword,” Karl said. “You have two guys who are tremendous attackers.

“Ty’s as fast in the open court as I’ve ever coached. I think he’s faster with the ball than he is without the ball. You have to keep him out of the paint, keep him away from getting a big assist night. And hopefully, he’s not making shots because you have to back off him a little bit.”

14. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

Question... Besides Mchale, what keeps Ty and Trez from bring Ty and Faried?

Im happy with how he has played the last few games, i think he affects the game just as much as Josh did but i would like to see him take a couple more steps up.

15. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Aren't you the genius that wants everyone to get over the game 6 series from last year?

Ain't nobody wanna hear your opinion

2 people like this.
  16. mockster

mockster Member

To me his last three games really showed how ty Lawson improves our team

He makes the extra pass and obviously not a normal human can have games with 8 and 11 assist besides great players.

I don't see the lin comparisons at all.

I will note lawson isn't thd biggest scorer. He averaged like 13-16 points last season. Which is great contributing numbers from a PG but his assist, steals and play making ability is what he offers. Every now and then lawson will break out and scre 30-40 points if needed.

17. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

He started very slow...painfully slow...but has come on the last three games.

I have been surprised at his defense...much better than I had heard.

He is definitely a significant upgrade over Bev.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He doesn't touch the ball enough when Harden is on the court. He's basically playing the Beveley role so far. Spot up at the corner. When Harden is in trouble, bail him out. That sort of things.

1 person likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Ty's still feeling his way, and the rest of the guys are still feeling their way with Ty. I like what I've seen so far. Not the losses, obviously, but Lawson's talent. It's clearly there, and we'll see the Rocks as a team, Harden most of all, adapt to that talent as the season progresses. We just need luck with the "i" word.

Oh, for a healthy team!

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Another arm chair