1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets have 5th worst record in the league. Should they trade or draft back into respectability?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Raven

Raven Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/standings/_/group/league

Let's accept that GS was probably going to repeat no matter how well the Rockets played this year. They have destiny written all over them.

If making a trade only helps the Rockets enough to barely make the playoffs, only to suffer the humiliation of getting curb stomped by the Warriors, is it better to just gut out the season and walk away with a top ten pick? It's difficult to imagine some magic Drexler type trade that reshuffles the deck enough to make a significant difference. Morey has pulled a lot of rabbits out of his hat, but saving this season is going to require a damn big rabbit.

I just find it incredible that I'm already thinking about next year's lottery. It's just inconceivable that the Rockets fail to make the playoffs, but that's looking like a forgone conclusion.

2. Mattician

Mattician Member

Yes. I'm starting to think it doesn't matter who is coaching this team. It's not good.

Look to build around Capela, Harden, and Motiejunas. Maybe keep Harrell, but I'm willing to include him in a deal.

3. Raven

Raven Member

If there was a bandaid trade available, one that didn't cost a core player, Harden, Harrell, Capela, or D-Mo, Morey would have already pulled the trigger.

4. malakas

malakas Member

No. First of all a lot of our players can't be traded until 15 Dec or 15 Jan. Secondly to trade you need another team to agree to the trade and there is not a single team atm that would make trades (except to get rid of players already out of the season that are worthless and about to get bought out like that guy in Washington) so soon into the season.

I also thought that the Rockets' owner is very against tanking and would never allow it. Without the owners consent teams dont' tank esp Philly style (trading players to get only picks back).

Also there will be plenty of teams joining the tankathon at about December and a team with only Harden will still have more talent than them.

5. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

We are tanking even when we are trying hard not to. We need roster changes, drastic ones.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Motiejunas is probably more than a role player but a franchise cornerstone?

WTF He is not that young anymore (24) and is reaching his zenith soon

Capela could be borderline allstar. Just maybe

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

And as I said before, bring up some of the Vipers like Cummings and Smith. Tyler has a good midrange shot.

8. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I say take the beating and draft. No need for making the playoffs just to do it.

9. Raven

Raven Member

Ugh, I forgot about that. Might be too late to matter by Jan 15th. That's 26 games from now. Dec 15th is 11 games away.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Either win 16 of the next 20 ot throw the thing in the furnace.

If we are flushing it, try the following:
    Ditch Howard Brew and Bev to make cap room
    Play Jones and Motie heavy minutes to pad stats, then farm em off for 1st rounders.
    Play the youngsters and see what they got (Harrell, McD, Dekker if he is fit)

Finish up with Harden, Ariza, Capela, Dekker, Harrell, McDaniels, picks and cap space and see what we can do.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

tank and wait until jan to start reloading the roster (for next season)

and btw, dmo's already 25

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that shouldn't be too difficult, we don't play any real contenders in our next 20 games.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Or the 20 after that!!

14. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Neither do our opponents

15. Raven

Raven Member

Which players can be moved Dec 15th and which can be moved Jan 15th?

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

We're signing Durant....remember?

17. conquistador#11

it's nothing a six game winning streak can't fix. right now it's difficult to even imagine a winning streak of one game but it's still too early to think all tank warfare.

hand is on panic button though.

18. Raven

Raven Member

I suspect you're being sarcastic, but you bring up an interesting angle. As bad as this looks, it's even worse when you factor in how much more difficult free agent recruiting is going to be if the Rockets nose dive into the lottery.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Harden needs help I don't care how we get it. But get that man some help.

20. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Even with 3 solid days of practice to build confidence the team still looks like they are poorly coached unfortunately and their chemistry flow is completely out of whack. There are players on this team that are dramatically better than how their currently playing IMO. This team labors to score. Would hate to see them throw in the towel on the season but if they don't pick it up soon they may have no choice.