1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Maybe Jeff Van Gundy will start posting on the BBS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rhester, Oct 14, 2003.

1. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Talking to the media the way Van Gundy has is almost as good as him posting here. Maybe the next step will be him starting a thread.

Seriously I like the fact we don't have to be speculating in 14 different threads what his thoughts are about the team.

He is shooting very straight and I like knowing what HIS opinion is.

I think he is being honest. He is stating the obvious. Many, many posters here have speculated the things he said over the past 2 seasons.

Go JVG
    Go Steve
    Go Yao
    Go Rockets

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

With the way he's been talking to the media, I wouldn't be too surprised. It is a very weird thing to see VG airing all their trouble in the media from day one after so many years of Rudy being sure to keep it all in the family. It's nice to have more information, but I have to say I liked Rudy's approach better. Van Gundy makes me nervous when he talks so much. He's giving the fans a lot of rope to hang the team with.

3. Bullard's Ghost

What's wrong with hanging the team? The Houston pro sports arena has been strife with niceties, trying not to offend the players. Sometimes it's time to stir up the mix. Wouldn't it be refreshing for, say, Jimy Williams to come out and tell Biggio to stop the locker room lawyering and play ball; or for Casserly to come out and tell Capers to open up the offense a little. Or, heaven forbid, someone from the Rockets organization to tell the team that image isn't anything without a championship under your belt. Who cares if a player's feelings are hurt. Sometimes the truth hurts.

4. Jeff Gundy

Jeff Gundy Member

That's crazy! People are so soft these days they can't even take a little constructive criticism. Let's just hope that they dont get their panties in a wad, bind, whatever that term is?

Let's play ball!

5. rhester

I just love the fact he is saying things many of us have thought, and believed. He is doing just what I wished other coaches would do.

Just cut the bull and tell it like it is.

He's told the team, he's told the players, now he's telling the interviewers who are asking the tough questions.

How many times do players and coaches gloss over the tough questions when everyone knows some of the answers are obvious.

I can remember coaches defending stupid mistakes by players and we all strain to believe what they are saying.

This is refreshing. The rule about don't go public should apply with private and personal issues. Like I have a drinking problem or a fight with my wife or I see a psychiatrist... Not my players are not working hard and hustling. This is a game performance issue and I am glad to see some honesty.

6. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

He better not post here...he needs to get this team in sync and help us get better....

7. roswell raygun

I can't wait to see Van Gundy post his fantasy trade proposals.
    How about Steve Francis to the Knicks for Charlie Ward?

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yes sir, coach!

9. New Jack

New Jack Member

He's not really saying anything the fans don't already know. With Rudy's tight-lip approach, there were always these irate fans questioning whether he was so incompetent that he couldn't see the mistakes the players were making. At least now, the fans know that the coach is fully aware of the team’s weaknesses. I know for me, it's a lot more reassuring when the the team plays poorly, and the coach points out the mistakes they made than when the team plays badly and the coach is acting like they played great.

#9 New Jack, Oct 14, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2003
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think we can assume that much. These guys don't have these millions-of-dollars-a-year jobs for nothing. Some people did assume Rudy didn't know what was going on just because he played it close to the vest; but I knew he knew. I do see the benefit to the fan for Van Gundy to say what he thinks -- it keeps people going off half-cocked trying to read between the lines -- but what is best for the fans isn't necessarily good for winning. We've seen enough coaches shoot themselves in the foot by saying too much to journalists. That's why I've always felt that Rudy's approach was best. Some fans (like Bullard's Ghost, I suppose) are only satisfied that the coach isn't coddling the players if they read it in the paper. But, paper or no, Van Gundy gets to rip into these guys a lot more in person than he gets to in the paper. The only thing the paper is good for is public humiliation. Sometimes it may work as a motivating tool -- but it can also backfire.

11. rhester

I wouldn't label JVG comments as publc humiliation or ripping into the players.

After 4 lousey efforts on the court he just was honest about the obvious.

Our guys aren't playing hard enough
    They aren't playing smart enough
    Steve is our best player and I need him to change some things
    Cato has worked hard

These comments are forthright and though critical they are not
    malicious or calculated to motivate anyone.

He was just breaking the norm for coaches by not trying to spin Dr. the obvious.

Most every fan already knew what JVG was saying. He is not against Francis, he is depending upon Steve to step it up and show leadership.

I hope he keeps the honest evaluations/ opinions up.

12. droxford

droxford Member

JVG won't post here. He's got a team to run. He doesn't have all night to read and type messages on a bbs.

-- droxford

13. Jeff Gundy

Jeff Gundy Member

Au contrare mon frere...

-Jeff Gundy;)

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

It's not you. Don't make me laugh... you would never post here...

By the way, where did you take your daughter for her birthday last week?

15. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I thought everyone knew ...

JVG = Yetti.

cmon, it's so obvious.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I certainly hope JVG doesn't start posting here. I'd be embarrassed if he were to come to this site and come across the D&D Forum.

17. sweetie

sweetie Member

OUI sir coach. I know its you. Ive been following JVG interviews for years and your language is dead on. Folks,this is really HIM.

Well Jeff, I wish you would post what is going on behind closed doors as far as possible trades. If there is a player you going after, telling us will not compromise a deal.

Come on,tell us. Also, I like how you put Cato at pf. I have a few complaints though. I hate it when you put wilks,moochie,steve all in the same time. That will not work in the real games. Also,I dont like how you called Francis our best player. Sheesh.But I love your comments in the paper and how honest you are. Its funny and knowledgable.

Okay just one little hint,what is Cuttinos future ??

18. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

What does this have to do with Game Action or Roster Moves?

BAD THREAD!