1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this season a success?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by vstexas09, Dec 21, 2014.

?

Are you satisfied with this season?

1. Yes

132 vote(s)
    79.0%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    21.0%
  1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Considering coming off a 2-14 season and coming in going through 3 other QBs to get here, are you satisfied with what the Texans have been able to achieve this season? I know there were a lot of folks expecting 6-10, but I was hoping we could get 10 wins. There were games early in the season in which I think we were really capable of doing that.

So, did the team meet or exceed your expectations this season?

#1 vstexas09, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hard to argue that it wasn't.

But there were some disturbing trends:

1. The draft
    2. QB Play
    3. The decline of Andre and Cushing

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Not sure how you can say no. Unless you want to not lick at the draft. In reality, the horrible draft makes this season all the more successful.

4. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

outside of blue and prosch, that draft was terrible. as much as we blame rick smith, i think it should be more concerning that BOB has a major say in who we acquire. i'm hoping we hire some really amazing scouts/QB scouts to address your first and second concerns.

Fitz had a semi revival prior to the injury and I think that's solely BOB's doing, so imagine if someone with all the tangibles comes in...

as for dre and cush, i think we really should hold onto dre. i think he takes the paycut to stay. we can potentially have a winning season, and i hope that he sticks around to see it hopefully turn around next year.

i'm not so optimistic about cushing. he's been having an impact, but i don't want to give up on him yet until he's at full strength. i think he'll work hard to get there, and hopefully we see some promise.

the two most disappointing things for me this season were jadaveon clowney and the indy and steelers game (maybe even the cowboys game)

we could potentially be at a 10 win season had we kept our heads on right.

i'm calling clowney a bust right now. no way he retains that explosiveness after microfracture surgery.

5. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

i voted 'no' because they lost too many winnable games.

have so much to clean up.. namely the salary cap.

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

.500 or better is definitely a success with our roster and a first year head coach

7. conquistador#11

in before the desert foxes and their we should have tanked outlook.

hell, yes it was a success. with the bad luck of clowney's injury,it feels like a college team accumulating wins even though they've been banned from bowl games and no scholarships.

8. Mr. Clutch

I hope we keep Andre because I believe he has some left in the tank. He just hasn't been on the same page with his QBs.

And by the way, the season isn't over.

We could still win the Super Bowl.

9. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I'd be happier if we had a different GM.

10. Two Sandwiches

Meg. You lose winnable games due to mediocre quarterbacking. With the right quarterback (as in, a true franchise guy in the draft), this team easily could have won 12 games. That's impressive, even with the weak schedule.

11. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

given the quality of which the texans draft (or lack thereof)... im not sure pro tankers exist nowadays ;)

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I said we had 10-6 talent

That was before we go FitzMagic and Clowney only played for three games
    Rookie Coach made some rookie mistakes

So yea.. . . . I vote Success

Rocket River

13. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yes. Most definitely considering everything that went on, this is definitely a success. 1 win away from a playoff spot. Aside from 2011 & 2012, this might be the best season in franchise history (better than the 9-7 season), even if we lost next week to Jacksonville.

14. Mr. Clutch

How's our roster gonna look next year?

Considering we aren't getting any good 2nd year players.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely it was, and it was close to being even more of a success. There were actual Texans fans who were predicting a 4 win season and thinking that was reasonable....think about that for a minute.

16. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

texans had a chance in last year's draft to address the qb position, but they chose not to.

they made their bed, now they have to sleep in it.

i hope texans can land a franchise qb in the draft, but it's unlikely considering there isn't anything to get excited over in this year's class (cook is going back to school).

and yes.. with a bonafide franchise qb, this team could have won 12 games considering the weak division and schedule.

17. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

meh, that's not fair.

obviously clowney will not play next season.

but, i'm holding out hope for xsf, cj, and nix.

18. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Its better than last years draft where half of them got cut...

19. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

at this point in time... that's very debatable.

20. Two Sandwiches

I believe I said franchise qusrterback, though.

I wouldn't have minded Bridgewater, but I think Mallett is more ready to be a franchise guy than Teddy. The luck just wasn't falling our way, though.

Hell, with Mallett healthy, this team would have locked up a playoff spot already. We don't even need to draft a quarterback to be successful next year. We should be fine with Mallett and Savage. I'm even fine with Keenum as a third. I expect playoffs next year, to be honest.

Sign Mallett to a two year deal worth about $10 million and see what you got. This team makes the playoffs with him and a good draft next year. Hope we keep Andre, draft a WR first round, middle linebacker second, and BPA after that.