1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Sam Houston State Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think there are enough Bearkats here to warrant our own thread.

Good news is Sam Houston ROLLED again. Bad news is UCA beat the last team that really had a chance to beat them, so they will most likely win the Southland now. At least SFA lost, so there will be no 3-way tie. God DAMN, if we could just have the last 5 minutes of that UCA game back......If we play them again right now, we win by 30.

Anyway, my question is.....Is this year's team better than last year's undefeated team?

Aside from that choke-job against UCA and the "closer than the final score indicated" game against Baylor (1-point game in the 4th quarter), we have absolutely dominated everyone else on our schedule. We've scored at least 40 points on all other opponents.

Eastern Washington lost, so we have now moved up to #4 in the FCS polls. Like everyone said in the FCS thread, we win out, everything should take care of itself. Not to jinx anything, but this team looks so strong right now, playing every playoff game on the road may not even be a problem. Sure would be nice to get a few at home though.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Spoilered due to being unnecessary

I must confess that I was late jumping onto the SHSU football bandwagon. I graduated in 2010 and while in college I worked every single Saturday (usually 10-12 hour shifts), so I could never go to many games. And the games I went to, we were terrible. Terrible teams and terrible crowds, plus being able to see maybe only one game a year, made it hard to get into the team.

I graduate, do my thing, and sometime last year I'm told that the football team is undefeated and has homefield advantage throughout the playoffs.

So I go to all the playoff games and get a ticket to the title game. But unfortunately, was not able to make it out there. I consider myself a good fan nowadays, but I'm still relatively new. Fortunately, I've been able to see or listen* to nearly all of the games this year.

*(on Huntsville's radio station -- the announcers are ridiculous: "There's a Bearkat in the endzone...... and his name is Tim Flanders!!!!!")

As for the question in the OP...
    From what I saw of last year's team, we seem less explosive this year. I don't know of any stat site that's very rigorous when it comes to FCS, but I would guess that we have fewer big plays this year than last, even though we have the same big-play threats (Flanders, Sincere, Diller).

I think losing our OC to New Mexico State was hard on the offense. We seem to be over it now, but it took longer than I had hoped it would.

But we're ranked 8th overall in total defense and also 8th in total offense, so I might be criticizing too much.

I think the big difference is that we're not dominating the turnover differential like we did last year (we were +23, I think). The announcers were talking about this against Lamar. After that game, we're now +3.

#2 Haymitch, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  3. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

The turnover thing is big.

Another thing is the new OC. Seems like they are getting it together now.

As for the playoffs, even if they go on the road, they can still do well, considering how often they played on the road this year already. Playing up North will hurt though.

A championship run will be tough, but they have the same talent and they are on a roll. Meanwhile, the number 1 team has lost two weeks in a row. GSU plays App this weekend, and could lose that game. If they do what they're supposed to, no reason we can't host one playoff game and then hit the road with some momentum.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm not sure I appreciate you stealing the thunder from my FCS thread.

I really haven't gotten a chance to watch or listen to any games live other than the Baylor game. I can't really speak to this year vs. last. I do think they've found their stride though since the choke job against UCA. I firmly expect them back in the title game as I don't think anyone can stop them or score on them right now. I just hope they get through the A&M game unscathed. I would almost treat that as a preseason game...if you can trust that the FCS committee won't hold that against them for a big loss.

5. ima_drummer2k

Sorry, but Sam Houston was pretty much dominating that thread anyway so I thought I'd start this one. Mods can merge if need be.

LOL, you think it was bad when you were there, I was there during the mid-90's. I was in the drumline, so I went to every game while I was there. Huntsville high used to have 4 times as many fans at their Friday night games as we did on Saturdays. We would march into the stadium before kickoff and it would be totally empty. We could park anywhere we wanted because the parking lot was totally empty.

I didn't really keep up with them after I graduated. The thing for me that changed everything was going to the 1st SFA game at Reliant. I couldn't believe how much everything had changed. Real tailgating, a real fanbase, a real college football atmosphere. I will never NOT go to that game again. So much fun.

I see pictures from our home games and the place is standing-room-only. There is actually tailgating in the parking lot (unheard of while I was there...), and alumni are actually driving up to see games. They also travel pretty well for road games, from what I can see.

Hopefully we can continue to build on last year. Most of our good players are juniors this year and no one leaves early in FCS. Sure would be fun if we could become a consistent FCS powerhouse program, even after Flanders leaves.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Uh oh, Kat fight!

7. leroy

You stay out of it.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You're just lucky we did this year! :)

9. ima_drummer2k

[​IMG]

10. leroy

The only game I ever attended when I was there (97-99) was a game against SWT...and I sat on the visitor side because my brother was the kicker for SWT.

What's going on now is what I wished we had when I was there. I always wanted that part of the college experience...one where people actually stuck around on the weekends.

11. ima_drummer2k

Few updates:

• For some reason, the Southland TV Network is showing McNeese St. at Nicholls St. instead of SE LA at Sam Houston. Strange decision since we are currently tied for 1st place. But they are also showing the UCA game at 7 so at least we can keep tabs on that game. An upset by NW State would REALLY help us out.....but I don't see it happening...
    • Kickoff time for the A&M game has been announced. Starts at 2:30. That's the good news. Bad news is it will be PPV. At least we have the option to watch, unlike the Rockets.............
    • Sam Houston is currently ranked #4 in the country and has now been in the top 10 for 18 consecutive weeks.

12. ima_drummer2k

Beating a conference opponent 70-0. Sheesh. How do you score 70 points while only throwing the ball 9 times? This team seems to be getting better and better every game. Why couldn't we have had UCA later in the season? We would KILL them if we played them tomorrow. :mad:

We're now ranked #3 in the country. An at-large berth should be inevitable, assuming we handle NWS next week. Still.....if we could just have that UCA game back....everything would be wrapped up by now.

I hope we see them again in the playoffs....

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I thought it would be a closer game. I went to it but left at halftime because of the rain delay. Was kind of a bummer.

Looks like we're the only Texas team in the top 25, meaning I won't be going to any playoff games. Just got to hope we make it back to Frisco!

1. North Dakota State Bison (120) 8-1 4,072 1
    2. Montana State Bobcats (17) 8-1 3,887 3
    3. Sam Houston State Bearkats (14) 7-2 3,643 4
    4. Old Dominion Monarchs (2) 8-1 3,545 5
    5. Eastern Washington Eagles 7-2 3,374 7
    6. Stony Brook Seawolves (4) 9-1 2,996 9
    7. Georgia Southern Eagles (1) 7-2 2,995 2
    8. Lehigh Mountain Hawks (4) 9-0 2,975 8
    9. James Madison Dukes (1) 7-2 2,880 10
    10. New Hampshire Wildcats (1) 8-2 2,633 11
    11. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks (2) 8-1 2,531 12
    12. Appalachian State Mountaineers 7-3 2,392 15
    13. Wofford Terriers 7-2 2,215 6
    14. Central Arkansas Bears 8-2 2,108 13
    15. Illinois State Redbirds 8-2 1,922 17
    16. South Dakota State Jackrabbits 7-2 1,291 21
    17. Towson Tigers 5-4 1,198 19
    18. Indiana State Sycamores 7-3 1,143 14
    19. Cal Poly Mustangs 7-2 1,057 16
    20. Richmond Spiders 6-3 976 22
    21. Villanova Wildcats 6-3 667 23
    22. Eastern Kentucky Colonels 7-3 603 25
    23. Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks 7-2 504 NR
    24. Tennessee State Tigers 8-2 377 18
    25. Harvard Crimson 7-1 366 NR

14. leroy

At this point, A&M should be concerned. What SHSU has been doing over the last 6 weeks is unreal (313-66 with 43 of that in the SFA game).

I'm not concerned about the at-large bid. Not with the way they're playing right now.

15. ima_drummer2k

NEWSFLASH: Game against NSU has been moved to 3 p.m. so it can be televised on the Southland TV network. Game will be shown on KUBE in Houston.

Not exactly NBC in HD, but we'll take what we can get. :)

Eat 'Em Up.

16. leroy

And I'll be in Houston this weekend so I'll actually get to watch a game. Actually coming in for my SHSU Soccer alumni game.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Recorded the game and just now watched it. Lookin' good. Bell and Flanders are both at the top of their games right now.

And A&M beating Bama will just make our victory next week all the more impressive!!!!

But in all seriousness if the Aggies go to the hurry-up and get an early lead, it will be over fast.

18. jdh008

jdh008 Member

That still doesn't really happen. I'm a recent graduate (Dec. '11) and as of the time I left Huntsville, it was still a ghost town after about 3 PM on Fridays.

Attendance is better at home football games these days, but student support is still pretty poor considering the success of the program and the enrollment (nearing 19,000). Being a huge fan of sports at SHSU just isn't a "cool" thing to do.

19. ima_drummer2k

Another blowout win to clinch a share of the SLC title. Feels kind of empty sharing the title with the team that beat you, but whatever. Like I said before, how sweet would it be to get another shot at UCA in the playoffs?

It will be very interesting to see how Fritz approaches the aTm game. We pretty much have no shot at winning and really nothing to gain even if we did, since I would assume a playoff berth is pretty much wrapped up now. Does he rest the starters to keep them from getting hurt? Or does he go all-out with nothing to lose?

This game would be so much more fun if it was played before we started conference play.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I would think he'd play the starters at least through most of the 3rd quarter. Unless it's an absolute beat down (it could be) and A&M takes their starters out at half, I think ours will see some good playing time.

I could see us taking a few shots downfield early in the game just to see what happens. We have nothing to lose.

I just really hope Bell doesn't keep the ball on any option plays he runs. That could be bad.

But like you said, win or lose, it doesn't change anything with the Bearkats. It would be odd to be a coach in that situation. What would you say? "Play hard, but only as hard as you can play without ever putting yourself in harm's way." It would be difficult to turn that message into an inspiring pregame speech.

I'll probably miss the game and will just DVR it. So here's hoping that it will be shown on Uverse U200 package without me having to pay for it!

Latest rankings:

1. North Dakota State Bison (121) 9-1 3,930 1
    2. Montana State Bobcats (20) 9-1 3,748 2
    3. Sam Houston State Bearkats (14) 8-2 3,585 3
    4. Old Dominion Monarchs (3) 9-1 3,496 4
    5. Eastern Washington Eagles 8-2 3,362 5
    6. Georgia Southern Eagles 8-2 3,113 7
    7. New Hampshire Wildcats (1) 8-2 2,897 10
    8. Appalachian State Mountaineers 8-3 2,659 12
    9. Wofford Terriers 8-2 2,502 13
    10. Central Arkansas Bears 8-2 2,341 14
    11. Illinois State Redbirds 8-2 2,094 15
    12. Stony Brook Seawolves 9-2 1,917 6
    13. James Madison Dukes 7-3 1,885 9
    14. Lehigh Mountain Hawks 9-1 1,843 8
    15. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks 8-2 1,594 11
    16. Villanova Wildcats 7-3 1,477 21
    17. Cal Poly Mustangs 8-2 1,354 19
    18. Indiana State Sycamores 7-3 1,294 18
    19. Towson Tigers 6-4 1,251 17
    20. Richmond Spiders 7-3 1,153 20
    21. South Dakota State Jackrabbits 7-3 1,046 16
    22. Eastern Kentucky Colonels 8-3 750 22
    23. Tennessee State Tigers 8-2 450 24
    24. Eastern Illinois Panthers 7-3 423 NR
    24. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats 8-2 423 NR

Top five stayed the same. Stony Brook moved from 6 to 11.

::EDIT::

Some more FYI stuff:

- The playoff field will be announced on Sunday (11/18) and starts with four first-round games on Nov. 24.
    - A national panel of sports information and media relations directors, broadcasters, writers and other dignitaries select the Top 25. A first-place vote is worth 25 points, a second-place vote 24 points, all the way down to one point for a 25th-place vote.
    - During the regular season, the Top 25 is released every Monday afternoon, except for the final weekend, when it will be released Sunday morning prior to the selection of the FCS playoff field.
    - The Sports Network will release a final Top 25 following the FCS championship game, which will be held Jan. 5 in Frisco, Texas.

#20 Haymitch, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012