1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seriously... why no FF7 remake?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drexlerfan22, Oct 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Okay, I admit this came back into mind because of the Twisted Metal thread (props to Nice Rollin there, btw... Twisted Metal was the first game I really loved on the PS1), but I felt like it deserved its own thread.

Here's the question: WHY IN GOD'S NAME HAVE WE NOT SEEN A FF7 REMAKE ON THE PS3 YET!? The PS3 FF7 "tech demo" basically had people crapping their pants in anticipation, and on top of that, there have clearly been problems getting PS3s off the shelves. If I'm Sony, I do everything I can to get Square to do a FF7 remake. It was abundantly clear that such a remake would be very popular, and it could even be a system-seller. IIRC, on gamespot it was the most-viewed PS3 game page for months on end.

What possible reason can there be for not releasing such a remake? It just doesn't make sense. If this game was released I guarantee both Sony and Square would be rolling in the dough.

2. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

3. Drexlerfan22

Final Fantasy 7.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

well they remake everything else. just give it time

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

IIRC, they never actually intended to remake the whole thing. But you're right. If they released FF7 again for PS3, that's an instant Best Seller. They'd make a lot of money so, it really makes no sense not to do it.

6. TapeFreak

TapeFreak Member

Blasphemy!

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I don't think there's such a thing as a remake that is a system seller.

If square really wanted to bank some $$$, they'd remake ff7 for the wii or ds.

that being said, it's only a matter of time. Just ask Chrono fans.

8. tested911

tested911 Member

I'm trying to look for the interview, but the reason why is because it cost to much money to make!! The guy was talking about one of the FF will port over but they are only 10 percent done LOL. Sonly ps3 cost developers 3x the cost than the ps2 and Wii.. Obviously we all know how bad ass FF7 can look on the ps3 but I doubt they will ever make it soon. Maybe when developoment cost lower and new tools come out then they might think about it.

9. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I'm not sure they would want to devote so much time into just rehashing a past game. I would be more likely to buy a new FF game than a remake.

10. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

This has bothered me a bit too.

Obviously, there can be a number of reasons as to why this wouldn't happen, but Square-Enix's treatment of the whole thing has been very strange. The effort they have put into promoting FF7 and the FF7 PS3 tech demo makes it seem as though they have at least considered doing a FF7 remake. But I could still understand why they wouldn't do it, and how some of their reasons for showing what they've shown would be legit (FF7 tech demo was just them trying to show what they could do on the PS3). Well...until I saw the stuff they did with Crisis Core for the PSP anyway. That made me think that either a)they are indeed working on a FF7 remake, b)they are considering a FF7 remake, but want to test the waters just a little bit first, or c) Square-Enix loves to screw with their fans, even if costs them time and money.

I don't know if they're going to make it, but if they don't, I'm really bothered by how they've treated the situation.

That would be a port, not a remake. :p

I don't see how a FF7 remake would be any more expensive than any of the other PS3 projects they're working on (or how it could be 3X as much as they spent on FFX IIRC). I could see them wanting to release it at the right time though, to maximize sales (IOW, once PS3 sales pick up, if they ever do). Of course, a game like this would sell well regardless I suppose.

Also, it sounds like you were referring to Square-Enix talking about how far along in development FF13 and FF vs 13 are. They said that FF13 was 13% complete, and that FF vs 13 was at 1.3%. Maybe it was accurate, but think about it some more and tell me if you really believe those percentages. ;)

BTW, you can replace FF7 remake with FF7 sequel (or whatever) in this post. I tend to treat them the same in my mind.

11. Drexlerfan22

Wow, I nearly died from laughing at that one, seeing that Chrono Cross is my favorite game ever.

Chrono Break is coming any day now, I'm sure of it... :D ;)

12. Drexlerfan22

It seems to me to be a little similar to what I consider Sony's error in judgment in completely removing backwards compatibility in the new PS3 model. IMO, Sony is failing to realize that BC may well be their best differentiator over the 360... perhaps even bigger than native Blu-Ray support. I know it was for me, and I know it was for my friend who just bought his 60gb ps3 off of eBay.

If Square is only waiting for PS3 sales to pick up in order to put out a FF7 remake, then they're failing to realize that it would be a system seller, making the number of units already out in the market totally irrelevant. The fact that the tech-demo was the most popular PS3 page on gamespot for months on end is evidence enough. I also know for fact that all my gamer friends would trip all over themselves trying to get to the store to buy a ps3 if this game were announced.

Additionally, the very nature of RPGs all but guarantees that no one could get their FF7 remake fix simply by playing it over at a friend's house. I have a friend with a 360 and Gears of War, and lots of other great 360 games. Gears may have been a system seller for me, if not for the fact that I could just head on over to his place whenever I please and get my fix by playing co-op with him whenever I felt like it. I've played that thing to death now, and I've never owned a 360. As a general rule, you can't do that with a 50-hour, single-player game. It's not even a question in my mind that a FF7 remake would move systems. No question at all.

I just plain don't get it. If I were Sony I'd pay Square a huge sum to get them to make this game; the resulting system sales alone would justify it. There's too much for both Sony and Square to gain out of this.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm divided. Before, I think Square would be better off spending the extra money for the scriptwriters for some new stories. But after playing a bit of Crisis Core... I'm no longer so certain. The nostalgia plus the huge upgrade in graphics(and likely story) is certainly a big factor too. And Crisis Core is on the PSP, so I can't even imagine how awesome the in-game graphics for the PS3 would be.

14. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

I have to disagree, I think a remake of FF7 would be a great system seller. People who've played FF7, I'm sure played the whole game more than once, I know I have. So why wouldn't they want to play the whole game again on the PS3? On the PS3, everything would be better in every aspect. I think the Final Fantasy fan base is big enough to give PS3 sales a huge boost.

15. RC Cola

I wouldn't doubt it if Sony has already tried this, or at least offered what they thought was a huge sum of money. Although maybe they thought they could get a buy 2, get 1 free deal (buy exclusivity for 2 FF13 games, get 1 FF7 remake free!). :)

Actually, one of the FF7 remake rumors from this past TGS mentioned how Sony would fund the project themselves. Obviously, those rumors didn't amount to much (or at least they didn't lead to the remake being announced TGS), but that might make some sense if this were to happen.

I was already in favor of SE returning to FF7 (partially because I think it wouldn't really hinder future FF developments that much), but I kind of know what you mean. I haven't played Crisis Core yet, but the nostalgia I got from watching some of the videos for the game certainly made me want to "relive" the experience again (particularly videos involving certain scenes with certain characters).

16. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Id rather see a third Chrono game. Or a remake of Xenogears.

17. Drexlerfan22

Definitely wouldn't complain about either of those... Chrono Cross, Xenogears, and Chrono Trigger are 1, 3, and 4 on my all-time traditional RPG list, I'd say. FF7 is 2 and FFX is 5.

Though I feel like I'm missing something in there somewhere...

18. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

If you were a real man, then the game you were missing in there is Earthbound.

Honorable mention to Suikoden

19. RC Cola

Hope you meant Suikoden II, or the Suikoden franchise in general. Not to discredit the first game (I loved it), but Suikoden II was way better from what I recall. I actually replayed it this summer, and I'm surprised I didn't have a better appreciation for it before...thinking maybe I didn't beat it, which might explain things. I think it is definitely in my top 5 RPG list, along with Xenogears, FF7, FF6, and CT in no particular order...though I tend to put Xenogears on a notch above the rest.

I certainly wouldn't mind another Chrono game either. Bad thing is that I think I never finished Chrono Cross (or can't remember doing so), so I can't really compare it to other games I've played. I probably need to find a way to play it again sometime. IOW, Sony/Square-Enix needs to put it on the PSN (along with MANY other games for that matter).

Won't even get into how much I would enjoy a Xenogears remake, especially one done right (*glares at the Xenosaga franchise*). Too bad pretty much none of these things will happen...Square-Enix won't even let fans attempt to remake the games (see Chrono Trigger Resurrection).

20. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I meant the Suiko series in particular...

Although in my head I KNOW that the second one is better (replayed both ps1 versions this summer) in my heart I have a special place for the first one....

I don't think I've been more disappointed with a game/series than I was Xenosaga. What a massive, incredible letdown those games were.

Crono Cross does come close, though...strongly disliked that one as well.