1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Atopic Dermatitis - does anyone have this form of eczema?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

As some of you may have read my thread of juicing and my reason to want to do it, which was for a skin problem. Well, I have this condition called atopic dermatitis ever since I was born and all the way until I was 23 when I was in the Philippines several years ago it was treated by a doctor. That was the only time a doctor gave me the correct skin lotion, liquid soap, etc. Since I came back to the US, I ran out of said medicated items and up until recently, my skin has gone to crap again, this time even worse than ever. I'm getting horrible rashes, dryness, itchiness. And I tried using allergenic free detergent for my clothes, I tried different lotions and soaps (aveeno, cetaphil, etc.), I tried not eating chicken and seafood. But nothing, skin is still itchy, dry, rashes forming.

So my question is, does anyone have this skin condition and have been able to treat it? Or anyone who knows someone who did? You can save a life here. Thank you so much.

2. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Sorry to ask, but is there a reason you can not go to a dermatologist here?

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Btw, before someone recommends going to a dermatologist -- I already have. I paid 90$ to get literally a 5 minute consultation to which she just recomended I use aveeno and cetaphil, which I had been doing already... so that was ridiculous.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

Haha you got me before I could post what I posted above. But yeah. The dermatologists (one i saw this year, and others from my childhood) here have never been able to give me the right treatment as the one in the Philippines did.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I used to get very dry hands over winter. Not sure why but not anymore.

Could be that you need to add certain foods:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/506850-yogurt-eczema/

Yogurt & Eczema
    Last Updated: Jan 31, 2014 | By Mandy Dunlop

Yogurt can help treat inflammatory skin conditions common in children. Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Creatas/Getty Images
    Eczema is an allergic inflammation of the skin, with a red, itchy rash often accompanied by small blisters. It can affect any area but often appears in front of the elbows and behind the knees. Eczema most commonly occurs during childhood. It may be triggered by allergy or may result from a malfunction in the body’s immune system. Bacteria found in yogurt can help treat eczema by boosting the immune system and tempering the allergic response.

(More at the link).

6. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Find a better doc. Not all docs are created equal. Speaking for personal experience.. had a dermatologist graduated from johns hopkins med school. Sucked a**. Huge ego but no idea on what hes doing. Worst combination. I found a much better doc who got me straightened out long tern.

7. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

My roommate struggled with this issue for a long time, trying all sorts of medications. His dermatologist signed him up for an experimental study involving injecting something or other daily. I believe the medication worked by improving liver function. The treatment itself would apparently cost thousands of dollars a year so I think he ended up going off the medication.

It seems like your best option is to find a better dermatologist, possibly by doing some research on Yelp. Is there any way you can figure out what medications you were on previously? Can you contact your former dermatologist?

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

It's hard to keep risking losing 90$ each time for a good doctor.

Btw that doctor was 4 1/2 rating on zoc doc. It's honestly hard to go by ratings.

I did contact my former doctor in the Philippines and she might ship me the stuff...but I think it would be better if I can find a local. That would really be my last resort.

9. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

It's a very difficult condition to treat, as you're well aware, so I figure you might have to go to a few doctors until you find one that prescribes something useful. You could always get the list of medications from your old dermatologist and tell a new one that the treatment worked, unless those drugs aren't available here.

Can you research dermatologists who specialize in AD in the area? You could also try to find clinical trials through UT Health.

10. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

my dog has it

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

Yes. I use a topical steroid.

12. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Had it since I was a kid. Used to use this stuff some for an overall treatment. You gotta keep your skin from drying out.

[​IMG]

For small breakouts, try this stuff....will kick it in it's ass.

[​IMG]

Don't have many issues with it much anymore. Seemed to be stress related for me. And for stress, I recommend this:
    [​IMG]

13. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Go back to the Philippines and load up on the stuff that worked. When you're out there, give them your mailing address and have them send it when you run out.

14. paymon

paymon Member

Atopic dermatitis IS eczema. It has a natural waxing and waning course , there will be periods of relief where you can be free of it and then it will return (it is much worse during winter). It is usually a condition seen in adolescents and improves over time, most patients grow out of it by 30 years of age. In the mean time you need to hit it hard with high potent topical steroid creams clobetasol, lidex to name a few. Also you can moisturize your entire body (best within 1-3 mins right after a shower, quickly light towel dry and apply) with cetaphil lotion, aveno, etc.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Eat full fat Greek yogurt and full fat Kefir (from whole foods).

16. Outlier

Outlier Member

This thing about yogurt...I might just try it out.

Paymon that is very useful information.

For all the posters in this thread so far...thank you ! I'll reply to a few more tomorrow, just glanced through just now.

17. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Have you changed anything in your diet over the years? Eczema has links to gluten insensitivity. When I was in practice, I would always recommend a food allergy panel for patients who had various unexplained maladies. I've seen many lives turned around for the better (including mine) by eliminating certain foods that you might be unknowingly allergic to. Might want to try a fruit/vegetable diet or elimination diet for 2 weeks to see if it gets any better. Good luck.

18. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Dove liquid soap and Cetaphil is what keeps my kids in check. Man its all about what works for individuals. That dove liquid soap works wonders, even the generic brand is good.

19. body slam

body slam Member

I have psoriasis and my dermatologist moved. I found if you know what you need most regular doctors will prescribe it for you.