1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dish Network announces Sling TV, an online cable alternative that will feature ESPN, ESPN2, Disney C

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Scionxa, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Thanks, I thought if was just sling because other apps work great.

Is the Nexus Player worth it?

2. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

If you get it for $50 with the SlingTV deal, I'd say it's definitely worth it. It's billed as an all in one entertainment device, but that's overselling it IMO because the gaming aspect isn't very good. It's more useful as a sort-of Roku and Chromecast hybrid, meaning it can do the main things you would expect both of those devices to do.

3. Mr. Clutch

Already have Roku and Chromecast.

Should of just gotten the nexus player instead with the sling deal

4. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

That's not true. I've seen the service struggle on an iPad Air 2 and XBOX One. I think it still struggles with traffic (NCAA tourney and playoffs for example) more than anything. I'd imagine (hope) that will improve over time.

5. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Considering transitioning to Sling as I recently moved from Houston to Durango, so having Cable (currently paying $70 just for Cable) for local sports is no longer a benefit. However, sounds like there are mixed reviews, possibly dependent upon the device (I would go for a Roku 3) and the internet (currently at ~15-20 Mbps download).

With that information, do you expect Sling TV to be decent in terms of connectivity? We would primarily use it for HGTV and the ESPN channels, maybe utilizing the WatchESPN app if we run into a lot of glitches during live games.

6. Mr. Clutch

Yep, with your info it will be good. Just keep in mind you can only stream on one TV or device at a time.

1 person likes this.
  7. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Runs well on my Roku 3 over WiFi. Watched the Rockets playoff games broadcast on TNT and had on occasional hiccup, but was still a godsend for someone w/out Root Sports.

8. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Does anyone else notice ESPN's streams buffering/going to lower quality a lot more than the other channels, or is it just me?

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Contract with Comcast ends this month. Currently paying $239. Who has made this switch? And what are you doing about rockets games?

Biggest needs are:

HBO (they have go)
    FX
    TNT
    AMC
    TLC (for the girlfriend, tho most their content is free online)
    Texans/Rockets

10. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Sling can get you TNT, AMC, but no TLC, just use an antenna for OTA broadcast of the Texans games. You'll have ESPN for any MNF games. You can add on HBO to the SlingTV base package. You can get a lot of FX shows on Hulu and other stuff. You'll probably need to get League Pass and spoof your IP for Rockets games. So you'll be paying about $45ish a month, $20 for SlingTV, $15 for HBO, $9 for Hulu. Hulu has a $9 add on for Showtime if youre interested in that as well. I think Comcast internet is like $60 a month. So you're cutting your bill in half.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm really anticipating Apple's pending TV-streaming service.

I've even seen rumors of a new Apple TV device that would act as a DVR and allow older Apple TV devices on the network to connect to it as clients. Similar to how cable and satellite companies set up their in home networks.

12. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Does sling tv have root sports? I don't see it on the list and would primarily purchase it just to watch Rocket games.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

dish doesn't carry it.

14. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Sling TV has released a second package, which now allows you to stream on up to 3 devices. The new package offers 15 local Fox Sports affiliates (at this time Houston in NOT included, but FSSW is), along with Fox & FS1. The catch, however, is that the ESPN channels are not an option on the new package.

For Houstonians, this could be a great replacement for Cable IF FS-Houston is ever added. You'd be able to see all Astros & Rockets games, I believe, at just $20/month while also retaining the primary cable channels sans ESPN. For out-of-towners, the benefit is limited unless you still have a billing address in the Houston area, in which case you'd have access to FSSW currently, and, ideally, FS-Houston in the future. As a recent CO transplant, I'm hoping this will help me cancel my MLB TV & NBA League Pass subscriptions in the near future...

15. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

If you want to watch the Rockets and Astros you have to have Root Sports Southwest. If all we got was FSSW, we'd be watching Rangers and Stars. Boo....

16. Mr. Clutch

That's nice but I wouldnt want to get rid of ESPN

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

This. FSHouston was shut down when CSN was launched. And now you'd need Root Sports Southwest to watch the Rockets and Astros.

Unfortunately Sling TV does not offer it and neither does PlayStation Vue.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sling has been hit or miss , someday's it works great, the other days I get random crashes.

19. Mr. Clutch

Same. It's been better lately.

20. Raven

Raven Member

Do their contracts have a cancellation fee?