1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brady Heslip

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by basketballholic, Jul 22, 2015.

1. basketballholic

Taking Seth Curry out of my signature since he has now signed with Sacramento. Adding in Brady Heslip. This dude is a sick shooter and should be on an NBA roster and I can't think of another team that could get as much mileage out of his shooting as we could. It appears we're bringing back Jason Terry. I'm sure he's a great locker room presence. But Terry is old and cannot shoot with the volume, accuracy, and distance of this kid.

I'd like to sign this kid to a minimum salary deal and have him on the roster just for those moments.

I chose the video below because it not only demonstrates his catch-and-shoot ability but also his ability to free himself off the dribble from defenders intent on not giving him the 3-ball.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uJJm2_QqVd0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This dude belongs in the NBA.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Loved him and Pierre Jackson at Baylor but I'm not sure Heslip belongs in the NBA.

3. basketballholic

JET, Delly, Seth Curry, Troy Daniels, Ish Smith, Bryce Cotton, Aaron Brooks, Donald Sloan, Norris Cole, Shabazz Napier, Garrett Temple, throw Steve Blake in there too.

Doesn't belong???????

I doesn't get it.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Seen the highlights from last season; he differs from 'Trey' McDaniel how? BTW - - is Troy on a roster?

BTW II - - can this kid do anything in addition to spot-up shooting?

BTW III - - Is he signed Int'lly for next season yet?

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Why hasn't Woj tweeted about this change in Basketballholic's sig yet?

6. basketballholic

His sources aren't as good as mine. He didn't get the Seth Curry signing until it actually happened. I had Seth in my signature for the last several weeks. :cool:

7. kudos1017

kudos1017 Member

I'm all for elite shooting but the kid needs to develop something resembling another NBA skill before he would ever see meaningful minutes considering his lack of size. Most of the guys you listed, outside of Daniels, can at least run a PnR, or play a little defense, or have some finishing ability around the basket. Troy hit big shots for us in the playoffs but would definitely get exposed over the long run because of his inability to defend, or really do anything else.

8. mhsc008

mhsc008 Member

What is his shooting percentage at 3?

9. Airdough

Airdough Member

Heslip could find a roster spot but there's a reason why there are so few pure gunners like him. Players like Reddick that stick are because they can combine high IQ, defense, and some athleticism with their shooting gifts. Heslip has the awareness but I never saw the defensive potential when he was at Baylor.

10. basketballholic

Brady is 6'2". Not exactly Brooks' undersized self. How do you know Brady can't run a pick-and-roll????

And why have a guy that can shoot the 3 at 45% with a hand in his grill run pick-and-roll to begin with?

This speaks to what I call the closed-mindedness of talent evaluators. Smart teams find guys with an outstanding skill and use him in that role. THey don't try to make something else out of him.

I didn't even bring up Anthony Marrow. He can do absolutely nothing on a basketball court besides catch-and-shoot. That's it. He can't defend, dribble, rebound, nuth'n man but catch and shoot.

Jet is old. Him and Brady are the same size. Jet can't defend. And his handle is nothing to write home about. I don't see the difference between JET and Brady other than Brady is the superior shooter from deeeeeeeep at this stage of their careers.

Do you realize that Brady can launch from 25-35 feet and knock them down at that 40+% clip? Do you realize that allows us to play 4 on 4 basketball?? Do you understand how big a favor for us being able to play 4 on 4 basketball with Harden out there is?

Cotton, Sloan, Napier, ....come on now. Multi-dimensional at what? Outstanding at what???

Steve Blake?----he's slow-footed. Good bball iq I grant you that. But Heslip has bball iq off the charts too.

I think it's ridiculous.

11. basketballholic

Redick is not a defender. All he does is push his man towards help. Just like Korver does. Redick can shoot and he's got iq. That's the same traits Heslip has.

12. basketballholic

BTW - yes he currently is.

BTW II - - yes, he can handle. he just doesn't have to handle a whole lot because he's carrying a musket on his right arm. I threw up the video to show you he has the ability to free himself when covered by a defender, either when he has the basketball or when he doesn't have the basketball. There's plenty of action there showing he can come off screens ala Redick and throw it in from Istanbul. And there's plenty of action on there showing him shaking a bigger, more athletic defender with his dribble-fake-crossover-stepback into the jumper. He's not a one-trick pony, stand there and catch the ball if he's open shooter. He can catch and fire off the screens with just a millimeter of space and he can create his own space for his shot.

Dude is a 40+% HIGH VOLUME 3-POINT shooter under those circumstances with the defense focused on him and taking tough looks off screens, etc. or taking shots from 30 feet. He's been UNSTOPPABLE at every level he's played at. He deserves a contract.

BTW III - - No. Not as I'm writing this.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Watched a lot of him in college. Don't see NBA potential, unless he has gotten much quicker.

14. basketballholic

his release is plenty quick.

15. Airdough

Airdough Member

Not saying he doesn't belong but Reddick plays better defense. Pushing his man towards help is part of the Clippers scheme. Teams don't rely on individual contributions only on defense, it's all one unit now a days like in football. If Heslip can hold his own and contribute to team defense he will stick. He isn't a headcase so teams must think something else is missing right now.

16. kudos1017

kudos1017 Member

I definitely agree with this line. The main thing is, do these intelligent teams believe they can either hide him defensively, or provide a good enough scheme to mitigate the damage when teams can put him on an island. Honestly I don't know much about his defensive prowess. If he's a good team defender, ala Korver or Redick, he wouldn't be a net negative, and I could definitely see him get minutes on a team that has good creators.

I do like that he can shoot off the dribble, but I'm curious to see how/if he can finish among the trees when guys close out hard on him. I don't remember him being very good at that at Baylor. It wouldn't be 4-on-4 with him on the floor at the NBA level against athletic defenses (ala GS) that can recover hard to him when Harden/Lawson can create a slight edge if he can't finish around the rim. Seems like he's capable of catching and going, but even then defenders can funnel him towards the rim protecting big, taking away the initial 3 and any subsequent mid range j's.

17. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I actually had a class where I sat next to Heslip. He's a cool guy. We'd talk about random things. Awesome to see he's lighting it up in Europe

Agreed. I think a good floater and runner would really expand his game and keep defenses honest. That's something Anthony Morrow has done, and he's productive.

18. CertifiedTroll

He is a poor mans Troy Daniels. As good of a shot or better, but even smaller, weaker, and worse at about every other aspect of basketball.

I would take Jon Diebler over Helsip 10x out of 10