1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth Issues and Trade Possibilities with BimaThug

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Awesome, will give it a listen to right now!

1 person likes this.
  3. chandlerbang21

Good podcast

1 person likes this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Clutch and BimaThug working overtime for the rest of us. That is what makes Clutchfans the best NBA site on the internet.
    Awesome job gentlemen. Thank you very much.

1 person likes this.
  5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Great job on the pod.

Boo Parsons until the roof comes off. The shots that Chandler has taken at the city and organization warrants nothing but boos. I agree with Clutch, that guy is dead to me as a Rocket.

Let's hope moves to upgrade this team come sooner rather than later. The sky is not falling, but things just don't look or feel right to me.

6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

7. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Thank for the podcast guys. I always enjoy them.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Thanks, everyone.

And YES, we know we didn't mention a lot of guys (like Brandon Bass) who've repeatedly been discussed on this BBS as potential acquisitions using the TPE. We also realize there were countless trade possibilities and other issues we didn't get to in this normal-length podcast.

This was just two guys riffing about the Rockets for a few minutes.

Hope you enjoy it!

2 people like this.
  9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I think you guys need to add DD to the mix. Then it hits all points on the forums...

10. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Harold Miner Clutch? Really? :p

11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Great podcast, once again. Comprehensively covers current issues, in depth. Thanks!

12. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

bimathug owns.

13. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Can anyone provide a recap to the podcast? Not able to listen to it.

What trade possibilities were discussed?

14. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Clutch believes the perfect fit would be dealing for Paul Millsap. Goran Dragic is the other unlikely dream player.

Mozgov and Wilson Chandler are players Rockets should consider with the TE.

Horford would be a sneaky good acquisition, but he may be even more unlikely than Millsap.

Our three best assets are
    1. Pelicans pick
    2. Clint Capela (assuming he shows potential)
    3. Our 8 second round picks

1 person likes this.
  15. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Thanks. Much appreciated.

16. Raven

Raven Member

There probably isn't a single player that CF agrees on more than Millsap, but I don't think Morey can win that bidding war unless Millsap wants to be here.

17. craguin

craguin Member

If it is a trade with Denver, then JJ Hickson is probably the odd man out. He started the season with a 5-game suspension and has played in only four out of twelve games.

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Excellent podcast.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

great job guys.

one trade that i've been thinking of this season is with the pistons for monroe. if they feel like they wont be able to resign him as a UFA this summer they may try to move him near the deadline.

the two variables here are how bad the pellies and pistons are at the time. the pellies pick plus something of value like papa or jones could get it done, but monroe may not be the answer at PF for us (i think he's more of a center).

I'd rather flip him in a 3 way trade to the suns of celtics for dragic or rondo. this would have to include terry as well as some of our future second rounders but i think it benefits all parties.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The issue for any team trading for Greg Monroe is that his new team will not have full Bird rights on him when he hits free agency next summer.

By accepting his qualifying offer from Detroit, Monroe is now on a one-year deal. Aside from the fact that he needs to consent to any trade (which I assume he would do to go from Detroit to a contender like Houston), the acquiring team would only have "Non-Bird" rights to Monroe. This means that the maximum starting salary that team could offer him -- without using cap room -- is 120% of his prior salary. That comes out to a starting salary of less than $6.6 million. That wouldn't be close to what Monroe could get on the open market.

So, for the Rockets to have any hopes of re-signing an acquired Monroe, they'd have to clear out several millions in cap room, which would require waiving or trading away other young players or possibly even moving Ariza.

I'm not so sure Monroe (who is a very good young player) would be worth that risk. (That said, if a third team wants to take on that risk in a 3-way deal netting the Rockets a different near-star player, then more power to it.)

1 person likes this.