1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Curious Case of Donatas Motiejunas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by donatas, Nov 20, 2013.

1. basketballholic

I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with DMo's play last night. And his attitude about "It's all about winning." was even better. It's time like these when I hate the thought of trading him away and watching him bloom somewhere else.

THIS IS HIS CHANCE. And probably the last chance he gets to prove that he is rotation and starter worthy here in Houston. I'm rooting for him to duplicate what he did last night. Play smart defensive with maximum effort, board, and get his offense in the post when the floor is spread around him with Ariza and KPap and be a floor spreader and knock down the 3-ball himself when Black or Dwight or some other big man with no perimeter skills is in the game.

This would help this team so much and make it much easier for us to get considerably better with an All-Star point guard trade along with a 3rd big man shooter while keeping DMo as part of a three man big roation.

2. nobie

nobie Member

dat face at the end :cool:

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He can play, but he has a certain STYLE he fits into he is a PnR player with some good post moves, he is not strong enough to post all the time, but he can do it occasionally and do it well, his teamates need to look for him though.

DD

1 person likes this.
  4. basketballholic

The ideal play for him is the pick and roll into a post-up with him also having the option to pick-and-pop at the top when they overplay him down low. When he can roll into the post-up, receive the ball quickly, and make a move quickly with his back to the basket while his defender is still recovering from the roll, he's got a very distinct advantage. But it simply can't be run when Dwight is in the game.

And that speaks to how crucial it is for DMo to have 2 things in his game:

1. the ability to shoot the 3-ball so he can spread the floor when Dwight is in there.
    2. the ability to defend in the paint when Dwight sits so we can maximize the pick-and-roll into post-up action for him.

I was happy with his paint defense last night. I thought it was good enough, maybe a little above average even. It was good enough to keep him on the floor and enjoy his offense.

If DMo could actually be the guy it would solve a huge amount of problems for us. But he's yanked my chain so many times I just don't know. Like I said I'm rooting for him every minute while he is on this team. Sure would like to see him string together several performances like last night and make a distinct step towards going to another level as a baller.

(Part of this is on the coaching. McHale and Finch have to coach the pick-and-roll so that DMo simply doesn't run through and head for the corner when he is playing center and Dwight is out. They've got to adjust the system so that the perimeter guys know DMo is rolling to the rim and then going to post-up instead of heading out to the corner so the perimeter guys can be looking for DMo quickly in that scenario before reversing the ball.)

#724 basketballholic, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Dmo just needed some burn to get more consistent. It would be a huge mistake to move him because no matter how good that undersized 4/5 we get in return they would have been killed by Tyson and Brendan in the low block all night. You want Milsap, Gibson, or any other? You need to try to move guys like Dorsey, Black, T.Jones and even Capella and retain a true a seven footer.

6. kemah

kemah Member

Dmo had a good game finally. Hope he keeps it up.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

AN under-rated part of Dmo's play is his unselfish passing. He always finds the open man at the 3 point line in a P n R situation sometimes being too unselfish.

I love his defensive effort and he is actually knocking down his FT's

He still needs to gain the respect of refs though. Too many ticky tacky fouls called on Dmo

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

D-Mo crediting Coach without being prompted to do so?!

9. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

He really gets destroyed by the refs. He plays the right way, and gets called for very, very bad fouls that no one else gets called for. He also complains about calls because he always gets called for less than what happens to him, hurts his confidence AND his playing time.

10. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Dmo's one skill that sets him apart is his post moves. I wish we would actually set up some plays for him down there. He is nvr going to make a name for himself without that opportunity.

11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

COME BACK!!!! WE NEED YOU!!!

12. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Yes! The guy that can literally get you a bucket when you need it. Our hero.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ujMTutGwqx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

When is he coming back?

15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Unknown at the moment. There were rumblings about mid November but would not be surprised if they rush him back if we go down 0-5 or 0-6.

16. OpenLayup-Why3?

Donatas literally made me cry multiple times last season with his amazing play.

17. omgTHEpotential

[​IMG]

18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

When is he back?

19. OpenLayup-Why3?

DMo did all the work last season, others were just standing around just like they are standing around this season. Only difference there is no DMo to do all the work.

[​IMG]

20. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

It was Tjones last year but it was DMos turn this year.

The curious case of Houston Rockets Power Forwards