1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Isaiah Canaan is the key to saving the Houston Rockets' offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown's Finest, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...e-key-to-saving-the-houston-rockets-offseason

I really liked what I saw from Canaan in the summer league this year. His shooting has always been good but his handles seem to have gotten a little better too. I am really pulling for this guy year to make an impact off the bench for us next season. Thoughts?

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I sure hope so. I don't think it will take a miracle to replace Lin's production - because Lin was forced by our system to play to his weaknesses. Canaan is the kind of guy who the system forces to play to his strengths. So even though he's clearly not as good an overall player as Lin right now, his production for our team can be a wash.

My biggest thing with him is his decision making. One would rationally expect that he will know not to take bad shots in the pros when Harden and Howard are on the floor, but it wouldn't be shocking for a player to be unable or unwilling to break that habit. At least off the bench, he'll have a bit more of a green light to get the ball in the hoop.

His defense will hurt us though, that's for sure. Lin was a decent defender and Canaan doesn't seem like he's ready for that.

In any case, it's worth giving Canaan a shot at the backup PG position and it seems likely he will be an NBA rotation player in the long run.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This is what is has come down to. Smhizzle

1 person likes this.
  5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Honestly I think Daniels could have the most impact this season if he gets consistent minutes and plays like he did in the playoffs.

It's great to have some young guys with potential but being in win now mode our only chance of improving is to focus on defense. Barring some huge trade of course.

6. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

I think what this article is trying to say is even though we lost some guys this offseason all is not lost. DMO played extremely well in the summer league as well as Nick Johnson. Its hard to go from possible getting Chris Bosh and retaining Parsons to losing Lin, Asik, and Parsons and only adding Ariza. But I think the better teams out there like the Spurs prove time and time again that you need good role players coming off your bench. Besides Lin who was pretty decent coming off the bench, our bench really struggled last year. I think Canaan could be that playmaker we need in a sixth man role.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sorry, I'm still laughing too hard at post #2, which really sums it up.

8. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Melo -> Lebron -> Bosh -> Ariza & Canaan

Boom, we are saved

Let's look back, hmm....summer league...

Let me just stop here...

9. izeroi

izeroi Member

The key to saving this off season......Geez man lol.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm hoping he can be an Aaron Brooks type spark off the bench. Key to the offseason? Yikes, that's quite a lot to put on him.

11. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Nothing like a litttle pressure for a guy that has a total of like 10 minutes in actual NBA game time experience and wasn 't a high draft pick.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bad title... Canaan, Johnson and possibly Capela are small pieces of a potentially decent offseason.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

The guy gets blocked way too often for my liking when going for a lay up.

But as long as he has some BBall IQ and knows when to call a timeout, we should be fine ;)

14. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Morey has gotten some of you guys so spoiled lol :rolleyes:. Canaan is no Bosh or Melo or LeBron, but without better productivity from our bench we aren't getting that far in the West anyway. Don't undervalue a good bench and good bench players. A bench can make a huge difference from us come playoff time. Even if it only means playing Harden and Howard less minutes in the regular season. We need something to be excited about and I for one am thrilled that Daniels is returning along with the promise of what Canaan may be for us. Our bench should be much improved come next year IMO, and that means a better team.

15. cebu

cebu Member

A shining asset indeed.

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That's what happens when David challenges Goliath; sometimes you win some, most of the times you lose and get smacked down to earth.

17. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Nah. Nope.

18. CertifiedTroll

Isaiah Cannan = Gilbert Arenas
    Nick Johnson = Chris Paul
    T Jones = lesser Dwight Howard

How un-f***ed are we!

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If Canaan, Dmo and Nick Johnson played for other teams and they had the summer league showing they just had, I think people would see them more positively. But they play for us and people have this self deprecating mentality when it comes to their sports teams (and sometimes in other aspects of life). So naturally they look for the worse.

None of these guys individually or maybe not even collectively should be looked at as saviors for the season (Not that I even believe we need a savior at this point), but I'll just take the summer league for what it was--a good showing by some young players with an upward trajectory, who still have a lot of room to grow.

1 person likes this.
  20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It is not beyond the realm of possibility that Canaan can replace Lin or DMo the same with Asik. The latter obviously loses some D, but makes up for it on offense (not to mention salary). Add in what appears to be another 2nd round gem by Morey in Johnson and the flexibility they retain by not matching Parsons and going with Ariza, and this offseason would be looking good had we not lost out on Bosh/Parsons as a package. As upset as I was 10 days ago, I'm back to seeing the cup half-full.