1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Dallas] Mavericks hope to face Rockets in first round

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Apr 3, 2015.

1. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4705045/facing-rockets-in-playoffs-would-be-fine-with-mavs

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

If their goal is to help us get them and not San Antonio

I thank their dumb asses from the bottom of my heart

3. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

and we (along with the entire western conference) hope we get to face them

4. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Do they have an option to choose who they get to play?

Like it or not, the Rockets are trying to get the 2nd spot to play the Mavs. Just wait there, Chandler(s).

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I get it. Article was very fair. If I'm a mavs fan I'd rather face the rockets than the Grizzlies and as a rockets can I'd rather face Dallas than the clips or Spurs. Both sides are right to feel that way.

6. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I think the lesson from last night's awful first half was that the Rockets have to show the hell up to beat anyone in the West this year.

If Dallas would like us, I'd sure as hell rather have them than SA though, so by all means please help us get that #2.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Between McHale and Dwight's injury situation, I would want to face us also.

Having said that we played poorly, and still beat them in Dallas. I would feel real good facing them.

8. krouchchocolate

Eh anyone can win in the western conference. remember what we said about the Blazers last year. We almost got swept...

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Feeling is mutual. Series should be over in 5. Easiest team in the west IMO.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

Death wish. Bring it on.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

without a healthy dmo or dwight, we're not beating anyone. we'll need one of them for 30mpg at least.

12. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

They sound like us last year

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dallas fans have been conditioned to think they're better than Houston, better record in spite of injuries and 3-1 h2h record be damned.

14. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

the scores for the games were:

POR 122 HOU 120

POR 112 HOU 105

HOU 121 POR 116

HOU 108 POR 98

POR 99 HOU 98

So we were just as close to winning every game as we were to being swept.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So which of us will have to be the one to buy the DallasMavericks.sucks domain name?

In June, .sucks domain names will go on sale, and companies that want to buy them to thwart trolls or critics will have to pay an absurd $2,500 per site address.

In an age when it's all too easy for Internet trolls to make life difficult for regular people, businesses and movie stars (yeah, they have problems too), why on earth would the group that says yay or nay to new domain names authorize .sucks and .p*rn web addresses?

That's simply asking for trouble and, no surprise, it's already creating problems. The group that won the right to sell .sucks has jacked up the price to a ridiculous $2500 per address. The people with the most interest in buying these domains likely represent businesses that want to stop trolls (or even a reputable critics) from getting there first.

Imagine a "dot sucks" site such as Comcast.sucks. Everyone's favorite cable company would like to put that one into a dark closet and lock the door. Comcast could easily afford to pay $2,500 a year for the address, but many smaller businesses could not.

"The entire extension is based on brand extortion,” said Rick Schwartz, one of the domain industry's most successful entrepreneurs, in an article on Marketingland.com.

Here's some quick background. Every Web address has a top level domain (TLD), such as the familiar .com, .org and .edu. As websites proliferated, there was a shortage of Web addresses, so ICANN, the international body that supervises much of the Web, created many more. (My own personal website is billsnyder.biz, which I bought because billsnyder.com was already taken.)

During the next few years, as many as 1,300 new domains will be available, courtesy of ICANN, and the next bunch will be up for sale starting in June. Most are reasonably priced. However, a company called Momentous won ICANN's auction last November via its subsidiary, Vox Populi, giving it the right to operate .sucks, according to Marketingland.com. The company is charging companies an unheard of $2,500 for .sucks domains.

Vox Populi's pricing scheme is complicated. If individuals want to purchase .sucks domains, they'll only cost $9.95 per address, but domains registered for this price cannot be used for websites — they must instead redirect traffic to a discussion forum on everything.sucks.com. Consumers who want to use .sucks domains for regular websites must pay $249 for the name.

Vox Populi says it has a high-minded reason for using dot sucks. "dotSucks is designed to help consumers find their voices and allow companies to find the value in criticism. Each dotSucks domain has the potential to become an essential part of every organization's customer relationship management program," according to a statement posted on the company's website. Vox Populi even had the gall to promote itself via a video featuring images of Dr. Martin Luther King.

Meanwhile, other similarly stupid domain names are floating around, including .p*rn. Female actresses, already subjected to trolls that post revealing photos online, now have to worry about bozos putting up sites such as Taylorswift.p*rn to embarrass them. (Swift reportedly bought that domain.) ICANN is allowing some trademarked brands and public figures to buy early.

In theory, a domain like .p*rn or .xxx could be useful. If the majority of adult content used these domains, parents could use filtering software to block a child's computer from accessing objectionable sites. Given the ugly, anything-goes culture on the Web these days, the trolls are more likely to benefit.

http://www.cio.com/article/2901259/...-domain-names-really-suck-for-businesses.html

16. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Do we really want to face the Mavs in the first round? Carlisle can succeed in the playoffs...

17. Ismail

Ismail Member

I say we start a tip jar initiative. We should buy the Rockets one too though for safe measure.

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It's when they doubt us that we are at our strongest. Keep doubting, keep hating, keep it up, and you'll be the one going fishing this year.

19. Victorious

Victorious Member

they pretty much admitted defeat to Memphis if they ever do meet in the playoffs lmao

20. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I seem to be in the minority on this, but I would much rather see us play SA than Dallas in the first round.