1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets Fans Can Give Thanks For The Things That Went Wrong

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Amen, Clutch. Still hoping to be thankful for a second star by next Thanksgiving though.

I guess you're doing something with the dark theme, as it's acting funny.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks.

I'm not doing anything with the dark theme, and it looks fine for me. If you're having an issue with it, start a thread in the <a href="/forumdisplay.php?f=11">Feedback forum</a> and we'll take a look. Thanks.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I like the take of this, while we b**** constantly about events like these unfolding its not to know that we're glad they never happened in hindsight.

5. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Agreed!

IMO the Dwight move would be as bad as moving Bynum.
    (Lockeroom and outside court cancer).

Arrrrrgh!! :mad:

Great read!
    And happy Thanksgiving you all!

6. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Good read. Got a nice chuckle out of the digs at weasel Stern.

7. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

I guess it's just the Opera browser. I switched to Chrome and it looked fine.

8. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Loved the weasel comment, very fitting.

It is very interesting looking back and seeing how we could have screwed ourselves over. That said, any of those trades or wins could have also turned out in our favor, you never know...

9. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Have to say that I am really excited for the future... more so now than at any point in the last five years.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

Nene was troubled by injury all last season and hasn't played this season. A dead weight max contract.

The Rockets dodged a bullet on that one.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Great read, Clutch.

I'll admit that I was devasted about losing out on Pau Gasol, which (as you mentioned) would have led to the signing of Nene and could have also led to keeping Chuck Hayes around as the third big. Had Jeremy Lin outplayed Jonny Flynn in practice and limited playing time (a probable proposition), the Rockets could have had a solid playoff team for the next several seasons.

2011-12 Rotation:
    Kyle Lowry / Jeremy Lin
    Courtney Lee
    Chandler Parsons / Chase Budinger
    Pau Gasol / Patrick Patterson
    Nene / Chuck Hayes

After last season, who knows? Maybe Morey and the Rockets' front office manage to pull off enough trades to make a Harden (or at least "Harden-like") trade later on. With no Kevin Martin, does Chase put up even better numbers and net a higher first rounder than #18? Does the absence of Dragic push Lowry's numbers even further higher, netting the Rockets even more in trade for him? Does that lead to a draft-day deal for MKG?

That said, I'm glad to have James Harden. Moreso than any other player they could have had under a "non-Basketball Reasons" scenario.

I'm also happy the coaching staff rewarded Marcus Morris and the hard work and improved attitude he put in/came in with. He's gone from potential lottery bust to potential bench scoring dynamo. (And, for what it's worth, word is the Lakers were VERY high on Morris leading up to the 2011 NBA Draft, rating him as high as #5 on their board. Potential bait to acquire Gasol? Better late than never?)

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

#11 BimaThug, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  12. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Nice article. Couldn't agree more.

13. prs325

prs325 Member

Thanks for giving a perspective on the TJones situation. Theres an undying belief that TJ will be/is a solid rotational perhaps even a starter-type of a player. As the Rockets continue to give ample opportunities to Patty and Morris, TJ's chances to contribute will just get bigger in time. And the fact that Rox didnt give up on Mook (especially after blowing layups on the first game) provided to be a blessing for he certainly became one of the consistent performers this season and has provided to be an impactful player off the bench.

Now, lets look for things to be thankful for Eremy, Royce, and the coaches and ill get my slice of pie. Hmmm...

14. alethios

alethios Member

I'm thankful for Clutchfans - keep up the good work, admins.

I'm thankful for the unnecessarily close Texans win.

Oh, and I'm thankful for more pie.

But really, I'm thankful we're heading in the right direction as a team.

15. clutz

clutz Member

Good piece. Tomorrow we get back to bashing everybody in the Rockets organization, but, at least for a day, we can claim some semblance of perspective.

16. CertifiedTroll

Jones not old enough to drink yet, Morris has already beaten up the bartender. >:D

17. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Great post!

18. jocar

jocar Member

Amen to that.
    Happy Thanksgiving CFers!

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great read, Clutch! Maybe you should have a clock on the Front Page counting down to Stern's departure, similar to a clock at a pub I play trivia at on 6th Street that counts down to St. Patrick's Day. Can't happen soon enough! Aside from the players Morey brought in this year, Morris has to be one of the nicest surprises this season. I wonder what his ceiling is? Not long ago, I wondered if he was a bust. Go figure.

20. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I'm thankful we have a team, a team with potential, a team that has chances to win games, a team unlike the Wizards (#1 Overall Draft Wall, 2013 #1?) and a team like the Texans (Clutch gene).