1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Is Chandler Parsons our guy moving forward?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by charles_zed, Jan 19, 2013.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

That wouldn't help. Lin's a terrible team defender, even Morey admitted to this, this month. It's a flow through effect. Remember when the Rockets needed Wesley as the missing part to help out Yao's defense?

If the Rockets really wanted to ramp up their defense pair Harden with Afflalo. The frontcourt will suddenly look like better defenders too.

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'd sell high on him. From that sf spot I'd like defense and to at least have one thing you can hang your hat on offensively. He's an inconsistent shooter and his drives to the basket are cringe worthy.

To me it seems like he's regressed in a few areas since last year. I though he had more explosiveness but he finishes at the rim like a chump.

3. jets fool

jets fool Member

I just want him to put it on the floor more stop over passing

4. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I agree with you. He has good value b/c he does a lot of different things, so if we want to upgrade positions we have to consider trading him. You can't get good players for garbage.

Players like Chandler aren't hard to find. He's a glorified Trevor Ariza - good defender, streaky shot, and mediocre handles.

5. Exel

Exel Member

Source? I definitely like to hear the context for the statement made by Morey on Lin's terrible help defense.

6. torocan

torocan Member

Morey never said that.

What Morey said was that Lin can't stay in front of the most Elite PG's in the league, but he's able to still have a disruptive impact on their opponent offense ala Kyle Lowry by making those players uncomfortable.

And that while Lin can sometimes drive the coaches crazy when he goes off the reservation in team defensive sets, his does the little things that influence wins like Steals, blocks, rebounds and generally disrupting the opposing offense.

7. cdastros

cdastros Member

They need to move Parsons to the PF spot and start James Anderson at SF.

8. SirKen

SirKen Member

They need to rest Parsons and not let him injure his shoulder again.

9. nadman89

nadman89 Member

once we get a good pf chandler will look better hes expected to defend and score and pass and rebound are u kidding me , before when we had a post-game(scola) it would suck in the defenders , get the guys open lanes to penetrate and get open looks i really thing getting a post game would really open up our game when nothing is working , miami couldnt win a title without a postgame so lebron hit the post , im not asking for lebron but we cant play without an inside game , bring back scola or big baby

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If Parsons wasn't handsome nobody would want to keep him.

11. TopChef

TopChef Member

We need Parsons to be an elite perimeter defender but he is just not. Most of the accolades he gets on defense is just homerism because we like him as a player. He gets burned one on one all the time and I just don't know what is up with his team defense this year.

Most teams are using a big SG or a SF as their elite perimeter defender.

Ron Artest, Lebron, N. Batun, Wade, L. Deng, Kobe, Thabo Selovich, Iguodala, Shumpert, Paul George, AK-47, JR. Smith etc.

Parson can't have success at SF I am convinced of that. But if we move him to PF he can space the floor with his range and beat PF with his first step.

12. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Parsons has a slow first step on offense. I've never seen him take his defender one-on-one. On the other hand, he is a good spot up shooter, has good instincts, good defender, and good passer. Great contract, but not more than a solid role player unless he can develop additional skills.

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Looks like his shoulder is still bothering him. One would struggle to get reps up in practice if they didnt want to exacerbate the injury..

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

He'll be like Manu, cept better.

15. rocketblood713

hes good enough to not get traded but wouldnt suprise me if it happened cause he does all the little things well hes not a great shooter but gets pts reb and ast

16. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

You guys seem to think that Parsons can be an offensive weapon while still locking down players defensively you need to rethink that. Last year we had Lowry/Dragic (streaky offensive players but could put up numbers), Scola and Martin as your main offensive weapons with Parsons being an after thought. Now seeing as they shipped out everyone I just mentioned, how is he going to be able to play on both ends of the floor when you have Lin struggling with his confidence while having to share the ball with Harden and virtually no real PF (Patterson was doing well before his injury, Morris was playing well but has since regressed). Not to mention Asik who always gets caught too close to the basket and can't explode off the floor quickly before he's blocked or has to pass out.

If Morey can somehow trade for good stretch PF you'll definitely see Parsons more effective on the defensive end. I honestly think Parson's ceiling is Prince but he can shoot 3's.

17. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Parsons is so much better than Bullard was that it is ridiculous.

18. larry cook

larry cook Member

If he goes just make sure we get something great in return, not good/j.smooth Morey but Great/Cousins because Parsons is alright in my book...

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

Not too mention much prettier also.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He will get there on defense in time, and he will be more than respectable on offense if he puts in the work.
    His potential is higher than Shane Battier.