1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's get Chris Mullin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dcab, Sep 12, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Dcab

Dcab Contributing Member

Just read that Chris Mullin was waived by the Pacers. Will he be a good fit for the Rockets. He could certainly shoot the lights out and could spread the floor on our new offense. What do you think?

------------------

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Walt can shoot the 3 better than Chris and Mullins is actually one of the few players that is actually slower than Walt. I do like the guy but we have no need for him. Maybe LA or Miami will take him.

------------------

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Utah is going to go strong after him. He fits the category of the players they want.

He can shoot
    He is white
    He is old

[​IMG]

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

[This message has been edited by Francis3 (edited September 12, 2000).]

4. Bballplayinplaya

its be a great pickup.... if it was 15 years ago

------------------
    Bow down to GOD FRANCIS!

"If they offered me (a lifetime contract) tomorrow, I'd take it."

-- Steve Francis on if the Rockets offered him a lifetime deal. He has now been elevated to "God" status.

5. Dcab

Dcab Contributing Member

I don't know guys, I was thinking more of interim basis. To me Walt is still inconsistent, unless he proves otherwise this season. In the meantime, if Walt gets into another funk, then we could rely on Mullin for consistent offensive threat.

------------------

6. alaskansnowman

If Walt goes into another slump, we have Dan Langhi.

------------------
    president of the dan langhi fan club.

7. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Exactly alaskansnowman.

And Dcab, I don't know if Mullin, at his age, will be any more of a consistent offensive threat than Walt anyway. Also he only played 47 games and averaged 12.4 MPG last season...kind of hard to be consistent offensively with such inconsistent playing time. Plus he's less mobile and not as quick as Walt. I'd pass on Mullin....IMO he really doesn't add anything that the Rockets already have.

------------------

8. Gascon

Gascon Member

[​IMG]

------------------
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.

No, wait, not me...you.

9. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

I agree. He will make a great assistant coach.

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

umm...NO

No more jump shooting white boys. We already have Bullard, Langhi, and Collier

[​IMG]

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

11. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

12. Sane

Sane Member

what makes u think he'll wanna play for us when the lakers and the heat want him? he wants to win, that's it......we aren't ready yet for players like that......

------------------

13. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

How about lets not get Chris Mullin. [​IMG]

------------------
    Life is but a dream

14. Dcab

Dcab Contributing Member

Chris Mullin is a sure thing in my book as far as offense is concerned. Two-time Olympian and All-Star. Walt as you all pointed out is still inconsistent and Langhi, though having a tremendous upside, is still a rookie. All things considered, a line-up of:

Hakeem
    Mo
    Mullin
    Anderson
    Franchise

could win a lot of games. Remember, Mullin did not get the playing time in Indy because Rose is playing great right now.

The above line-up will not employ the run and gun offense but mixing it up with our inside game it could create a lot of match-up problems, in my opinion.

But you are all correct. No use discussing this subject as we do not even know if Chris wanted to be a Rocket so I'm letting this topic die.

------------------

15. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

With Mullin in the lineup we wouldnt have an identity. We wouldnt run (Hakeem and Mullin), and Francis and Shandon would want to run all the time. Maurice...well he would fit either one, but still NO Mullin. We need someone who can finish on the break. Walt can shoot, and drive to the basket. Even though alot of people on this BBS would trade Walt for a few jellybeans, I might be one of the few who wants to see what he can do this year.

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.

16. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

If the Rockets were legitimate contenders and only needed someone to spread the defense with his outside shoot. But we aren't at the stage were we can just add role-players around our superstar. Let us pass on Chris Mullin.

------------------
    Who would've thought Don Nelson would pass up Olumide Oyedeji not once, not twice, but thrice?

17. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

From http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/teams/rockets/ :

One player who won't be there is free-agent swingman Chris Mullin.

The team loves Mullin, and if this were the Rockets of two or three years ago, the organization might have jumped on the opportunity to sign the 6-7 veteran sharpshooter, who is supposedly mulling offers from the Lakers, the Nets and his hometown Knicks.

But the Rockets have turned the corner in their rebuilding process and aren't likely to add more years to the mix by bringing in Mullin, even though they can use his outside shooting, his professionalism and his presence in the locker room.

Most of all, though, they could use his off-the-ball movement as a valuable part of an offense that will revolve around Francis. Whenever teams attack Francis with the double-team, a guy such as Mullin would be invaluable by cutting to the basket to beat those defenses.

As it stands now, Walt Williams, Matt Bullard and Shandon Anderson will get the most time at small forward, leaving precious little time left over for anyone else. And Mullin wants to play, which is the reason he bolted Indiana.

------------------
    "There's 1,000 different things we're looking at, but there's not a lot of things there." -- Rudy T., apparently after taking a hit of acid.

18. Dcab

Dcab Contributing Member

Good post - TB.

At least the Rock looks highly at Mullin although not a good fit at this time. The way Mullin handles himself is how Rudy & Co. handle their job - very professionally. That is why I thought Rockets might have an interest in him when Pacers waived him.

This is what makes this BBS so great. Anyone could sound-off and be heard.

------------------