1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Western Conference Standings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tree Rollins, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Tree Rollins

Tree Rollins Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/standings

6 Utah 33 23 .589 11
    7 LA Lakers 30 25 .545 13 ½
    8 Houston 30 26 .536 14

Phoenix 30 27 .526 14 ½

Golden State 26 30 .464 18

I hope the Rockets can climb into the 6 or 7 seed to avoid the Mavs. Thoughts?

2. fatman510

fatman510 Member

I have a feeling that the Jazz will drop from their spot. Rox will be 7, Lakers 6 and Jazzholes 8:)

3. kobo

kobo Member

No. I want us to face the Mavs. Make another history. :)

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'll pass on that. I dont think I can watch us play the Mavs until next year.

5. ming1111

ming1111 Member

I told someone at work today that we were going to play the Mavs in the playoffs and beat them!! he just laughed but thats what I believe because when the Roxs have to win they will and they will step up their defense.Dallas has no inside game and they rely on their outside game.I think they have the best outside shooters in the league but when you play hard defense on them they tend to miss shots, obviously the Roxs have not done this but I believe we can beat them!!:)

6. Asian Sensation

I'd want to face San Antonio then Dallas then Kings.

7. hotshotrbs2

hotshotrbs2 Member

Do you honestly think the rockets would have a better chance against the kings or spurs? The fact that Dallas beat us 4 times this year would be to our advantage, as they probably would take the rocks lighter than they should. That might steal a couple games from the mavs, and maybe give houston a chance.

8. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

It's gonna be hard enough just making the playoffs. I don't care what seed we finish as long as we are in. Everyone KNOWS we are a first round exit, but that's what we need, experience. I am just hoping for us to win our home games in the playoffs.

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I agree with fatman, I think the Jazz are coming down to the 7th and 8th hole. And how idiotic does Tim Legler sound? He said he thought that Phoenix would beat out the Rockets because the Rockets don't have an inside game since they don't give the ball to Ming. Obviously Ming needs more touches, but the Suns don't have an inside game either! Stoudemire's offensive game is limited so teams don't respect him enough to be a factor on the offensive end. Then Legler said that the Suns tremendous depth will carry them. The Rockets are one of the deepest teams in the league, the Suns don't HAVE any depth! That's why the Suns are losing, the lack of a bench, the Bulls just wore them down. And even with Penny returning, the Suns don't have a bench. All they do is add Joe Johnson off the bench, and that isn't any better then a Glen Rice, or a Mo Taylor or Terrence Morris. Right now is the time for the Rockets to take care of business, if the Rockets clean up this week they can leave with a 3 game cushion over Phoenix. Though I can see the Rocks making a push to a higher seed, I think they will settle into the 8th seed and Dallas in the first round, which is a dangerous 1st round opponent for the Mavs, I don't care how much they have pounded us in the regular season.

10. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

the best quote in this thread!!!!

I am on ur side.;)

11. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Anybody watch NBA 2Night?

Legler is such BIASED towards the Rockets but Fred Carter is all for the Rockets. Throughout the first few mins of show, Carter was keep on saying "ROCKETS" while Legler said "SUNS" in the background. They later admitted that they have a side bet going. Legler needs to shut his trap. :D

12. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Thats going to be hard beating the Mavericks 4 games in the playoffs.. so my only advice is...

If you cant beat them.. play dirty ;) after all it is the playoffs.

*evil laugh* BWHAHHAA

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

dang, it's perfectly ok for someone to think that our team will not make the playoffs. it's just a disagreement.

as for the seedings, i'd rather face the kings in the first round. i think they're a weaker opponent than dallas. the rockets don't know jack about breaking down dallas' zone defense. and who says we can't make history if we don't face dallas in the first round? wouldn't be sweeter to make history in the conference finals agaisn't the mavs? even sweeter if we take it all the way.

14. cujo

cujo Member

Hey guys,

It's really too early to try to worry about seed placement. Rockets just need to get into the playoffs. You gotta crawl before you can walk. Let's be honest, this team is not gonna beat teams like the Mavs, Spurs, Kings, lakers, or Blazers in a 7 game series. Flukes do happen, but chances are they are going to lose in any round. It will just be nice for them to taste the playoffs so they can want it more for next year. I am just optimistic they are going to make it to the playoffs...that's good enough for me.

15. kh0001

kh0001 Contributing Member

At the start of the season, I shared the same thought that Dallas is no big deal to Rox. After those four losses, and witnessing Van Excel scored at will over Moochie in the last game. I should admit that I am totally wrong. And their bench is one of the major reason.

KH