1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Internet/Cable service providers in Austin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by -Rockets, Jul 30, 2013.

1. -Rockets

-Rockets Member

Moving into West Campus next year and am looking for the best deal for internet and cable. I was looking forward to Fiber but seeing as it won't come out till the middle of 2014, I've been trying to find a good relatively cheap provider. Stumbled upon Grande Communications promo today ($60 for internet/cable) and wondering if anyone has any feedback from them. Also is there a lot of room to call to add incentives?

Also looking to buy league pass for the season, anyone know the price?

Thanks brosidens

2. updawg

updawg Member

Grande will probably be your best deal followed by AT&T. Stay away from time Warner

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

League Pass with Uverse is around $180 for a full season on TV I believe.

4. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I know it's only a $10 savings, but if you order League Pass right before the pre-season starts, it's $169.99. It's also to note that monthly installments can be done.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Why?

I've had great service from TW.

6. Scionxa

You know how it goes. Everyone hates the main cable provider in their area.

**** Time Warner Cable
    **** Comcast
    **** Cox
    **** Charter
    **** CableVision
    **** BrightHouse

Hail Google!

However, I agree with you. I had great TWC service when I lived in Austin.
    If you have Time Warner cable. Make sure to get the Cisco 8742HDC box. It's the best and most reliable cable box they have. IMO

**** ANY scientific atlanta box. That goes for you guys with Comcast too.

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Grande gets you Longhorn Network, so there's that.

8. updawg

updawg Member

You guys really like twc?

Their guide and dvr is terrible. The channel lineup is limited. Their picture quality is worse (the way the compress the signal). They cost more and constantly jack up the price (I know everyone does this but they are the worst). No nfl network, no red zone, no longhorn network. No wireless cable boxes, etc

The one thing they do have is the local station extras like news 8 and the extra PBS

I'd rank it like this - AT&T>direct tv> twc. (I've never had grande but I've heard good things)

9. Scionxa

TWC does have NFL Network and NFL Red Zone

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/r...orts/nfl/does-time-warner-cable-carry-a1.html

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/r...ammin/sports/nfl/is-nfl-redzone-included.html

Everything else you mentioned is true, including that they do compress image quality. I personally think Dish Network is the worst when it comes to image quality.

I personally have DirecTV but one of the advantages to cable (at least for TWC) is that they don't require a long-term contract.

10. updawg

updawg Member

Well at least they finally got nfl network.

All this competiti

11. updawg

updawg Member

Meant to say that all this competition is good. AT&T forced twc to do better and now google coming is forcing all of them

For too long twc was uninnovative and lazy profiting off their monopoly. That's why most people complain about the big provider.

12. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

13. Scionxa

14. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

is it easy to hook up your own? also which modem would you recommend? i need one that would allow our phone service to work as well.

i found this on gizmodo as well http://gizmodo.com/5948616/how-to-beat-time-warners-bullsht-modem-rental-fee ...but of course the time warner page is completely janked and a lot of dead links

i can search the "approved modems" through google..but which one will allow for our phone service work as well?

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

U-verse blows. The ATT guy is always at my neighbor's house because their service is down. I've had TWC for 12 years for internet and have had limited issues.

16. Scionxa

With TWC, if you have a phone modem (EMTA), you're going to have to have two devices if you want the modem fee waived.

Basically you'll buy a modem (Motorola SBG6141 works good) and that will be used for your internet service on one cable jack.

You will keep your EMTA but TWC will disable the internet on it, and that will be used primarily for phone service. They will still waive the modem fee for you.

The catch? You either have to have two available cable jacks for both devices, or you will have to have TWC install a splitter (which can at times degrade signa) so you can use both devices on one jack.

My personal recommendation would be to switch to a different VOIP provider. My girlfriends parents use Ooma ($3.00 a month), buy a modem and then just have the ooma plug into your router. You'll save more money this way.

Don't ever think bundling is cheaper. I find it cheaper with my relatives to just use DirecTV for TV, comcast for internet, and Ooma.

17. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

i'll look into it. thanks!

18. -Rockets

-Rockets Member

Is it a better investment to buy your own modem/hd/dvr box?

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I would say so. Definitely will save you a lot when you add up the costs, especially for a modem. DVR fee's still exist, IIRC, even if you get your own receiver so I don't know if that'll benefit you much.

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Anyone know of any deals for Time Warner? Looking for internet and/or TV. The only good offer I can see online is 15 Mbps Internet for $34.99 or 20 Mbps Internet with Basic TV for $64.99. Was kinda hoping for an Internet+TV package around $50.