1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLB Package?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Francis3422, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I am seriously thinking about picking up the MLB package. I have started to follow the Astros more than ever and as a new fan to baseball I am thinking that the next year or so is going to represent the tide turning. Is it pretty much the same as the NBA package in regards to what games I will get? Am currently located in south Alabama.

Anyway, I figured a few CF peeps would have some good feedback.

Thanks

DD

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I have MLB.TV rather than Extra Innings, but it is great. You'll be fine. You are in the Braves territory, and those are the only games that may get blacked out.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I have the MLB package that I stream on my computer, iPad or TV and it works well. The quality is very good. I am in the Minnesota area so when they play the Twins or Brewers they get blacked out. No big deal when they play the Twins, because we either go to the games or watch the local broadcast. We live outside the Brewers area, but I think it thinks we are in Rochester due to the location of our Internet provider.

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

In college I used mlb.tv and it was fantastic. I'd consider that before the cable package. If you have a video game system with mlb.tv capabilities it makes it all that much more useful and valuable over the extra innings package.

5. Major

Major Member

Depending on the number of channels your cable system has allocated to it, you may not quite get all the games, but you'll get the majority. For example, my cable system has 12 (I think) MLB channels, so if there are more than 12 games on, they can't cover them all. (most days have 15 games)

The online version - MLB.TV - covers all the games and works really well. I think it might be a little cheaper as well, though I'm not positive. If you have Chromecast or something like that, you could stream it to your TV.

6. J Hard

J Hard Member

I'm seriously considering the mlb.tv service. The Astros aren't blacked out if you live in Houston right?

7. bobrek

Yes, The Astros ARE blacked out if you live in Houston on MLB.tv

8. J Hard

J Hard Member

Looks like I'm ruled out, thanks.

9. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Not sure if serious

10. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

They are. I use unblock-us to get around the blackout. It's like $5 a month.

11. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I don't live in Houston anymore - if you follow the team at all it's a must have. Worth the 80-100 bucks because you get the app on your phone, live games, etc. I usually don't get stuff like this but MLB has done a great job with their multimedia.

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The "Hola" extension for Chrome will also get around the blackouts. It's probably not quite as good as the paid IP blockers but gets the job done. I've watched a few 'Stros games using it -- sometimes it takes a couple of tries to load though.

13. TheresTheDagger

Is there someplace online I can watch Astros games this year? I don't live anywhere near Texas if that matters....

14. bobrek

MLB package...

15. JJ

JJ Member

Does Comcast have a live streaming service that can be used from their website to watch games? I don't live in Houston, but have relatives who do and subscribe to Comcast. So I am curious if I could use their on-line account to stream games. I live in SA and so Astros games are still blacked out with MLB package and MLB TV. Thanks.

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

MLB.TV is by far the best premium sports streaming service in the industry. In my first year of owning this, I haven't had any real issues. The feeds are also faster than feeds on my TV which is a bonus, the HD quality is awesome, and lag hasn't been an issue.

This easily beats Sunday Ticket and NBA League Pass Broadband which I have tried or owned. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to catch MLB games. I think Extra Innings comes with MLB.TV premium now which is nice, but if you don't want to pay the extra $$ for Extra Innings, the MLB.TV price is pretty solid. Honestly, I can say it's the best bang for you buck sports streaming considering all the games.

I have a private proxy that I've tried for blackouts, and it has worked fairly well. I don't normally use this though because I have no real use since I'm not an Astros or Rangers fan.

17. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

FYI for you out of town folks, MLB.TV is 40 bucks until Father's Day. Premium is 50.