1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[alcoholism] aa anybody?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OmegaSupreme, Oct 11, 2007.

1. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

embarassing.

well... moe and miguel came over to pick up the tv last night (nice to meet you moe). see this thread. mig asked why i was selling the tv and i told him that i'd post the reason why here since folks like to post their personal info here (had a couple of ffb jokes).

anyhow, my sister sends me a text message monday saying "aaron, i need to talk to you and no i'm not pregnant". very out of the norm for her considering we never really had a close relationship growing up. i respond back asking if everything is ok and says "not really". i call her later that night and she's broken up saying that she's been hitting the bottle too hard. a whole bottle of wine every night for some time now. completely caught me off guard. yeah... i knew that she like to party and hangout, but when she said a whole bottle every night, i knew that she was serious (she's not the type to exaggerate). the reason i say it caught me off guard is that she was always perfect growing up. finished near the top of her class at fisk university in tennessee and got her mba at rice a few years ago. travels internationally on a regular basis, has a job to kill for, well... has done nothing wrong her entire life.

my dad had a bout with alcoholism and every drug known while me and my sis were growing up. some physical (unprovoked beatings) and verbal abuse. he went through aa and some sort of drug program. he's been sober for 15-16 years now. both of our relationships with him is fine now.

me? well... i'll just say that a bottle of visine and gatorade is needed pretty much every morning before going to work. it's amazing how much of a tolerance that you can build up for alcohol if you drink (more like "devour") a couple of martini's, a few gin and tonics, and few shots of yager almost every night of the week. no exaggeration here. it's gotten really, really, really bad the last month or so... to the point to where it's interfering with my way of life. when i go out, i'll buy myself drinks until i'm beyond drunk and then i buy a round of drinks for whoever is sitting at the bar. doing this 5 to six nights a week. it's left me almost living paycheck to paycheck... not because i don't make enough money, but because i spend practically a third of a paycheck in bars (seriously). it's gotten to the point to where i'm waiting a few days before for my direct deposit to hit my account because i don't even have enough money for food anymore, so i'm left worried about where my next meal is going to come from. yep... jack in the box two tacos for a buck has saved my life a couple of times. depleted my savings as well. the reason i sold my badass tv? for some reason i kept telling myself that the leasing office would forget about a months worth of rent and unpaid utilities. i spent an ENTIRE paycheck on going to the bars. depression has a lot to do with it (i have a history of it in the hangout here... cough... viennasausage... cough). not being happy where i am at this stage in my life and being alone all the time. it's gotten to the point to where i enjoy going to work because i at least have someone to talk to. when i'm not at the bars, it's drinking at home... much like my sister... bottle after bottle until i'm passed out and then wake up to my alarm to go to work the next day. on the way home i'll buy a four pack of those mini wine bottles or just one bottle of that nasty ass md 20/20 just to get the buzz going.

so yeah... i sold my tv to pay for the rent and utils after waking up to a eviction notice on my door. the sad thing is that i KNOW that i haven't learned my lesson yet because i did the same exact thing last night.

so, my dad, sister, and i... all have or had this problem. not sure if it's something family related or what. i don't want to use it as an excuse. i know it's pretty much irresponsibility than anything else. i'm not sure how my dad got started. my sister is doing this because i know she's alone by herself in austin. i'm doing it because i'm depressed.

anyhow, are there any folks here on the board who have gone to aa meetings before? i've sat in on a couple to support a friend's problem a couple of years ago. i knew then that i had a problem listening to people's stories and had the hardest time holding back tears and not taking a turn to spill my guts to random people. i know it's a rule with aa that you HAVE to have a desire to quit, but i'd like to just be able to manage it better. my sister says the same. i know that we're both in denial, but we're both way to strong minded to believe that we can't manage.

there ya go miguel.

again, anybody here with experience with aa?

/embarassment

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

You obviously know you have a problem. Go do something about it.

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having this problem. My dad was an alchy and it is a miserable existence. I don't know if AA would work for you or not but the way I look at it is that it can't hurt. Not doing anything right now is probably the worse thing you can do.

You're a good guy Omega, go get yourself better. There are a lot of people here that support and care for you.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Omega,

I don't have any personal experience with AA, but I have been around alcoholics and from what you have posted I'd say you are well past the "managing" stage. My guess is that your big hurdle is going to be accepting this and I think you already know that. Maybe you just need more people telling you this to get you over the hump.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sorry we had to meet under such dire circumstances Aaron. I will offer up some prayers to my God in your behalf. Hang in there buddy.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Hang in there. I'm not a fan of AA, but they can help if you can handle the quasi-religious nature of their organization.

If you are not yet physically addicted to alcohol (i.e. a true alcoholic who experiences withdrawals) you already have half the battle won.

Talk to your doctor, as there are several drugs on the market that can help with reducing the urge to drink and to replace your self medication.

Talk to a therapist to address the underlying emotional issues.

AA can provide a strong support group.

Good luck.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  6. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

omega,
    as you can probably guess, you are not the only alcoholic on this board. the most logical and productive course of action would be to quit cold turkey and seek whatever support you need to get you through. this is obviously easier said than done, i know this because i am also an alcoholic. i've been fighting it for years and i actually have managed to limit how often i drink excessively, but it is not really managed. alcoholics can't control it, plain and simple, it's a disease. i basically just make sure it doesn't affect my relationship with my family and friends. i fail to do that sometimes and it just piledrives me into depression when i "screw up". good luck, sorry you have to go through this, it ain't easy.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I've been to a couple of aa meetings when my drinking gets bad. never stuck with it, but I can tell you that its like anything else in life, you get out what you put in. nothing bad about it imo.

alcoholism is heriditary btw.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  9. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

You don't need to be embarassed about it. From what I understand, Alcoholism is genetic. As long as you don't dwell on it, and do something about it, you'll be fine.

One of my best friends had severe depression coupled with major alcohol abuse. He eventually started showing off some suicidal tendencies, and that was one of the scariest moments of my life. My friend, his family and I threw an intervention of sorts, and things have been ok since. He still drinks once in a while, but he has it under control. This problem is different than yours, but my point is, you need to figure out if you have friends that can be a good influence throughout all this, and use them as a support group.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was going to mention this, it maybe the one drawback. but their only message is that some people can't do it on their own, and need to submit to a higher power.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hey OS, I'm sorry to hear you hit a rough patch in your life, but if this has always been with you, maybe the silver lining is recognizing the need for change?

I'm not an alcoholic, but I've been to AA meetings because the court ordered me to. Alcohol makes us do the craziest things. People use it because it does what it does pretty damn well. At AA, you will get support from those who have been there and are as scared as you are at losing control of their lives. Ultimately, it's up to you. The reason for wanting to quit the hooch in AA is because members realize how easy it is to fall back off the wagon. If you're not too aware of your own self control, cold turkey might be one of the more effective solutions.

I don't believe that everyone will see a mental rock bottom. The physical rock bottom is when you're incapacitated to the point where living no different than death. Most people I've seen recount their rock bottom when they begin to see how they'll die. I don't know if this fits your mindset, but some people patiently wait for some milestone in order to react, even if it'll never come while your opportunities slowly fade away. It doesn't have to be that way, but it won't be easy.

I have to admit that even going to meetings is a huge commitment. There's a lot of powerful emotions and stories going on, and I'm sure some of the members didn't appreciate my type, the court appointed, attending them. Even with that small minority, there's people who attend just to hook up with chicks, and more disturbing are the familiar members that quietly vanish and don't go anymore. I hate to be an intrusive prick, but can you confidently tell yourself, while knowing of your family history, that you can control your disease but not quitting?

Nowadays, there a bigger strides in medical treatment for AA. 20 years ago, people thought it was a moral issue that preyed upon the 'weak willed'. Now there's full blown evidence of genetic, psychological and physiological dependence of the drug. Just recently in the news there's a $350 Pill That Helps Alcoholics Taper Off Drinking. It's not a magic bullet, but addicts should receive all the help they want.

I hope you can find a solution, and if you want to know more about my experiences at the meetings, hit me up with an email.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds to me like the best person you could talk to about it would be your dad, since he went through what you are going through and has come out the other side.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Looks like you're at a breaking point. I think that AA would help you. It seems like you believe in it. You need help, my friend, and you need it bad, because it seems like your life is about to fall apart. I'm glad you're realizing this before it does. Addiction is no joke, and not many people can quit cold turkey because it's physical and your body kicks your ass to get what it wants.

My dad had a bad drinking problem early in his life. My mom left him because of it (so she says). He would go through a bottle of vodka daily. He decided to quit. So he went to the doctor and got some Antabuse (Disulfiram) and quit cold turkey. Antabuse makes you -seriously- ill if you drink any kind of alcohol while you're on it. And if you quit taking it and decide to go on a bender, you still have to wait a couple of WEEKS before it's out of your system, so you have time to think about drinking and probably decide against it. Anyway, my dad was able to kick his addiction this way. He said it sucked, because he went through withdrawl symptoms, but he hasn't drank since, and that was about 20 years ago. He will have a beer or two a year, but that's it.

I'm not qualified to give out medical advice, but I would take it on Friday. That way if you get some withdrawl systems you can deal with them over the weekend. You should probably have a -real- friend (not a party buddy) on call to talk to/ask for help. If you decide to go this way, I'm sure you can count on this BBS to help you out to by just posting.

-J

EDIT- This is not the right thread to debate the pros and cons of AA. Bashing different treatments or therapies isn't going to help. And Omega is asking for help, so save it for the D&D in some other thread.

#13 Xerobull, Oct 11, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
    OmegaSupreme likes this.
  14. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

One of the hardest parts has to be admitting to yourself that you do have a problem.. Good luck Omega, keep working at it!

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  15. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Good luck man. Hope you can fight off those demons and get yourself well.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

uh, he did ask what we thought, so it is. omega has already taken a huge step, now he has to figure out what's best for him.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  17. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I'm praying for you, OS. You sound like an awesome guy.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

There is some genetics involved in propensity toward alcoholism, and it sounds like you have something running in the family. But, that doesn't mean you can't do something about it. I'm from a family of alcoholics on my dad's side. My aunts and uncles eventually found religion and cleaned up. My father found a way to moderate his drinking (though I still worry). It'd help to have some support. My father had his wife and kids, my aunts and uncles also had the church. It sounds like you and your sister don't have as much suppport. You may want to look for it, either in the family, friends, AA or wherever.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Omega, as noted, you are clearly an alcoholic and need to seek treatment asap. I would sign up for AA because, at the least, they should have suggestions on other steps you can take to help fight your disease.

Do you have a roommate? Getting one might help lower your bills and have someone to make sure you aren't drinking so much.

Sounds like your sister might be able to help you out financially, too. Money and family often don't mix, but somehow, I don't think right now is the best time for you to be close to eviction and without other mind-numbing forms of passing time (i.e. - tv; yes, I know you can drink while watching tv, but now you have absolutely nothing to do if you have no other hobbies).

Also, please, please, please don't drive drunk. This is Houston (I assume you're in Houston), so you have to drive everywhere....but take a designated driver. Just knowing people and life in Houston, I'd imagine you are driving drunk more than you want to admit. I could be wrong, but if it is the case, you have to, at a minimum for the sake of other people's lives, get control of your disease.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  20. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I don't have too much to add.

I had plenty of alcoholics in my family. I decided I would never even give myself a chance to end up like them, so I've never touched the stuff. It helped that my parents gave up alcohol for the most part because of my dad's epilepsy and they were very happy people, so I saw that I could definitely live w/o it.

I sincerely hope you can find something to fill the void in your life that alcohol currently does OS. I'm sure it would be a little easier coping if you use this down time to devote yourself to something you find more worthwhile(friends, family, work, religion, exercise, art, significant other, w/e).

OmegaSupreme likes this.