1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Andre Johnson now?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by awc713, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

*This* is why you trade him - not because the organization "owes" poor, miserable Andre Johnson...

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It makes no sense to either party for Andre Johnson to remain a Texan.

Johnson wants to get paid and win, the Texans want cap room and draft picks.

I'll be shocked if Dre takes a pay to cut to stay on a rebuilding project.

3. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

sorry, but no one is trading for AJ and his 16 million $ 2015 cap hit.

why trade for someone that's guaranteed to be released in the offseason?

4. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Rick Smith wastes 2nd and 3rd round picks anyways. No.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Because you don't want him to hit free agency.

Some teams actually have money to spend and are in "win now" mode.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

It would be really great to see Andre make it to a Super Bowl. He has played the game the right way and has been the only bright spot in the entire history of the Texans. He will always be seen as a good player who couldn't do anything in the playoffs. No one will remember any miracle catches and that really falls on the team but it will follow him forever.

7. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

And many of those teams in "win now" mode have players who are pending new, huge contracts.

For example, Seattle. They're clearly not going to trade draft picks and pick up a huge contract when Russell Wilson is due a massive pay day.

AJ isn't going anywhere this season. He will have his choice in the offseason when his contract is not a barrier.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The brunt of RW's new contract won't hit the Seahawks until after AJ's contract has expired.

He has two years left. One at 16M, one at 14M.

Some team with cap space and a closing window can stomach that.

Most teams would look at him as a one year rental though, which is why his price tag will probably be a 5th-6th rounder.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't think anyone remembers him as a playoff failure. He did fairly well in his 4 playoff games.

10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Why wouldn't you? You have hopkins and you need to figure out if he can be a number 1 wr or if he is strictly a #2.

The Texans need help and lots of depth. Trading a player that is not a part of the future anymore for a pick is ideal. The value could vary. Old Tony g got a 2nd so that's at best, but Atlanta was desperate. I think he could get either 2 mid rd picks or a decent early rd pick. Something like either a 3+7 or 4+4.

I think the target should be Philly. They lack a #1wr are a contender/pretender that could become desperate enough to win their division against the cowboys. (As a cowboys fan I hope it doesn't happen though).

I think they give you the best opportunity for a great return. They may even part with a 2nd. I'd throw in a 5th to grease the wheels.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I realize the situation might call for Dre to be traded, just saying it's a shame most of our great athletes don't retire with us... Earl, Nolan, Hakeem, Moon, etc.

12. Remii

Remii Member

You're probably right. They had their chance to trade him this past off-season and trading him now may send out a giving up on the season vibe amongst the players and the fans (at least the fans that don't won't them to give up). McNair may be sentimental when it comes to AJ as well. He may want the opportunity to work out a contract with AJ and keep him here.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Trade everyone but Watt, Clowney, and Nuk.

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Yea, Texans fans. No one outside the fans will remember anything. Unless you make it to the conference championship then no one will remember anything you do. You are only 1 of 8 teams.

16. SuraGotMadHops

I wouldn't trade AJ only because I don't trust Rick Smith to do anything constructive with the picks we get in return.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If I need a WR and I have a 2nd to offer... I'm calling Arizona and shooting for Fitzgerald.

18. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

except you know theyre winning unlike the texans

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm not, he has aged more than Andre, he is purely a possession receiver at this point. I have tons of friends who are Cards fans, we watch Fitz a lot. Andre has a lot more in the tank

Not to mention, AZ is a quality team, no reason to give up a decent WR at this point. The texans are not gonna be good until they get a QB which is likely 2 years away. Andre is way more attainable.

Dre to New England just makes way too much sense to me.

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I would trade Andre for a good backup ILB and a 4th rounder.

We need some ILB depth. If the Texans could get there hands on someone this offseason in FA or in a trade like Fletcher/Bowman(ILB that can cover), then this defense will take a step up.

The Texans are having tackling issues. It is stopping this defense from being good.