1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

You're right QE doesn't create a bubble, but what it does is "prop" the market up for an over extension of time longer than it should be.

2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Schlumberger (SLB) is a great buy right now. Very undervalued.

3. benchmoochie

A lot of oil / gas, energy stocks took a beating when price of oil plummeted. The question is will oil continue to stabilize or go into the 76-77 area. With oil stabilizing, it is good for the market short term and SLB and companies like PXD, OC etc.

I really liked PXD at <160. If we can get a move in oil, PXD will be back towards 210-220.

4. Major

Major Member

Agree with that - what I question is why pulling the last $10B of QE would cause a market crash. Given that PE ratios are reasonable, is the argument that removing that last bit of QE will cause all the earnings to fall dramatically? And if so, why?

5. benchmoochie

no the argument is once QE is taken away the market will no longer have the crutch of the Fed and its loose monetary policies, so it would perhaps start the wheels for a correction.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I forgot to reply to you earlier....

1. Yeah I subscribe to a couple news services. Briefing.com and the guy who calls out the news thru Lightspeed's trading platform. Also, I follow a lot of different people on twitter.

2. Yes I'm a prop trader. I have my series 7, 55, and 63 licenses. I trade thru a prop firm, and I keep about 90% of the profits. It used to be 100%, but since the mkt crash the federal agencies decided to come up with stupid guidelines. They have forced prop firms to keep some of the trader's profits for a "rainy day" type fund in case something at the firm blows up.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

AAPL just had strong EPS and man it's just crazy they have $155 billion on their balance sheet. Jesus guys....you know you can do more with that. If they would have listened to Icahn when he bought the stock would be 30 points higher.

8. benchmoochie

so what's the difference working at a prop firm than just using your own capital --- the leverage of capital is greater?

are you a quant writing code also?

9. benchmoochie

I don't think the board cares. they aren't exactly creating value for the shareholders at this point.

** The way I look at Apple now is I don't think they can maintain growth on sales. Reasons:

1) loss sales on ipad
    2) computer sales will trend down

The Watch and Apple Pay provides revenue but this revenue may not be as big as Ipad's performance in the past.

Unless they come up with some earth shaking new products, this is moving away from a high growth company to a mature company.

#7409 benchmoochie, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  10. benchmoochie

If spx gets back to 1940-1960, then I will enter some small shorts on the index.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yeah you get a lot more leverage.

I don't do any quant stuff but there are a few guys at my office who do.

12. benchmoochie

thanks for clarifying that. I wanted to do prop trading when i left the I bank, but I didnt have enough experience so I just started doing it myself..then just stayed with it in this form.

13. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

you'll get better gains with Halliburton ;)

14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

15. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

16. benchmoochie

HIMX to $2 probably . was at 6.89 in AH. Probably gap down by market open to around 5$. ha ha.

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Umm, HIMX has never relied on Google for ANY business. None of the revenue on its current balance sheet, none of the forecasted earnings in the immediate future. Google Glass was an ideal that wasn't even close to being realized, but there remains the opportunity as Google still owns a 6.4% stake in the HDI subsidiary.

Frankly, I hope this news scares all the daytraders out of the stock. Sometimes a business can have a completely sound model, with stable revenue streams and lots of reliable customers, yet still be a high-risk investment all because of who is investing in the company. Anyone who has ever looked at a HIMX earnings report or read the conference call transcripts would know that there is NO connection between HIMX and GTAT, who really did rely on Apple for all their business. Or even say, NQ Mobile, a company that hasn't released an earnings report in over a year! The only thing that links the three are the gambling daytraders that caught on to all of them; and their reciprocals, the short-selling hounds who smelled blood in the water.

I had gotten back in on HIMX when it was 6.95 and 6.5, and will use this as an opportunity to get back in as well once things stabilize. Display drivers for mobiles (Samsung is a longstanding client), laptops, and 4k TV's still supply the bulk of current revenue with decent growth opportunities, but it's the LCOS microdisplay that appears still to be the best option for all the wearable technologies that are in various stages of development. I have never come close to paying any regard to GTAT or NQ, but I remain long HIMX. You can retrieve this post later for any reason; I'll stand by it :) .

18. benchmoochie

went short at spx 1948

pcln 1100 p, $2.60
    twtr 52p
    fb 80p, fb at year high was no comment!!
    iwm 109p

im gonna try and ride it out till spx 1910-1920

#7418 benchmoochie, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  19. benchmoochie

closed 70% of positions at spx 1933.

I was originally thinking 1940-1960 on the spx top. I think it could draw down to 1910-1920 just don't have timing for it.

20. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Thoughts on DDD?