1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Why do Rockets fans want our rookies to strive for mediocrity by giving them PT quickly?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Nov 15, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

If you look at Rockets history, players who played from the beginning of their rookie years have since never developed. So why do fans want history to repeat itself? Do people here want our rookies to stay at their current levels? I mean, in the past 15 years, basically only Yao Ming played from the start, and then developed his game over time.

List of failures?

Steve Francis - Never developed his game over the years
    Luther Head - See above
    Chase Budinger - See above
    Eddie Griffin - Self Explanatory
    Kenny Thomas - increase in stats over the years mainly due to playing time and not better game
    Jason Collier - Couldn't even make it through half a season before getting yanked for being a bust
    Micheal Dickerson - Would've probably been a success if wasn't traded and then suffered career ending injury 2 years later

Only Yao Ming, the #1 pick in the NBA draft, one of the hardest working, humble, high-motor player to ever play for us, has bucked the trend. Everyone else? Never became more than what they were entering the NBA.

If history has shown anything, it's that when rookies don't need to earn playing time, they don't care to improve.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Any reason why you create a million threads? I mean,I read every post in every thread and I can always find a thread to get into,but for some reason,every thought for you turn into a thread. Clutch has stated a warning about starting a lot of threads and if he doesn't say anything to you,fine keep doing it,just saying tho.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

meh's threads are pretty good and make more sense than 80% of the other threads.

4. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

because these current players have no one in front of them except retreads and no-futures. play em'

1 person likes this.
  5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

"Dream"???

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its the ol "just because everyone's doing it" motto.

Very few teams stack as many youngsters on their roster as the Rockets, and so few veteran scrubs.

In recent years most teams have 1 or 2 top level talents and the rest of their roster spots are filled with poor performing contracts. So when they got a young rookie 1st round pick, they immediately were better than the underperforming well paid bottom talent players on the roster.

The Rockets, have actually had very good fortune with role players, and young players in past years making it extremely difficult for their rookies to earn PT over the guys who were already there.

On a team like the Hornets, a rookie like Ryan Roberts is probably already better as a rookie than any minimum contract player they would have put on the roster ahead of him in the first place.

The Rockets, in their situation, are always just stacking their talent pool, and letting the cream of the crop rise to the top over a 2 year span.

7. Raven

Raven Member

Sam I Am and Big Shot Bob say hi.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont think anyone really wants to just force PT on them. We want the coaches to give them an opportunity to possibly show they're more ready than is believed. Stick them in there early in the season, if they don't play well, then you can always take them out, send them to the dleague, bench, etc. There's plenty of rooks out there, on other teams, who get thrown in early and actually hold their own. We'll never know if we have someone like that, if we don't give them any "real" PT early on.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

[​IMG]
    Chase was averaging almost 12 points a game for the wolves before getting injured.

And your list didn't include:

[​IMG]

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Clutch has warned against starting bad threads. I don't think Clutch would have a problem with a million threads a day if they were all quality and generated good discussion.

Why do you have beef with meh?

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Maybe none of those guys were that great.

12. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Well, lee does have beef with everybody. On the other hand though, I must admit, this thread is quite pointless. :/

13. apollo33

apollo33 Member

How is Chase a failure, he's a second round pick getting major minutes

14. leebigez

Nah,just a million threads created on thoughts. I'm pretty sure there are threads discussing the same thing. I disagree with meh at times and I agree with him at times also. Nothing on fan boards are ever personal with me.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Because we need more threads that make sense to counter balance the overwhelming amount that don't. If you still can't tell which is which, you know where you belong.

16. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

Landry, Brooks, Patterson didnt get a lot of minutes in the rookie season and they all went on to be important contributors.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I like the system of sending them to D-League to learn the system first. Makes players work hard and really cut down on their mistakes. Also weeds out players without the drive to do what it takes.

Worked for Patterson, and now for Morris.

Also gives a contractual advantage by getting to the third year of RFA status just before they are due for a breakout season. Anyone remember the Landry/Baker negotiations where we stole him for 3 million and he went on to be one of our best players that year?

The way they are approaching it is just plain smart.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

I did say past 15 years, since I don't feel like going back through Rockets draft picks in their entire history. I won't comment on Dream since it's as pointless as suggesting McHale wouldn't play rookie Lebron if one appeared on this team.

Sam Cassell actually did have to prove his worth as a rookie. Scott Brooks was originally the Rockets backup PG. Cassell took over that job full time a couple of months in.

And Robert Horry is the poster child for NBA player complacency. All that natural talent, and decide he should just be a 3 point shooter. If he had actually developed his offensive game a bit, the Rockets might've gotten over the Sonics one of those years, and we wouldn't have had to trade for Barkley.

19. leebigez

You got your Thug-life tatoo yet or are you changing yourname to cxbby jackson? Lol. I must say,that was pretty funny. Good to see you back posting just in time to pub the face of the franchise.

20. makman

makman Member

The irony in all this is when has a fan ever given a player pt?

You also fail to take into account how mentally stable they are, how much experience they have, and how developed their game is.