1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Advice] First Speeding Ticket

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vstexas09, Aug 25, 2015.

1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I got pulled over at the McGowen/Tuam right before getting onto 288. It slipped my mind that school started, and I didn't see any 'School Zone' flashing lights. I was going 29 in a 20mph School Zone, in which the normal speed limit is 35 mph. I just started working over the summer, so I've been going at that speed, and forgot that school started.

Got a ticket along with tons of other people, but wondering what's the best course of action.

The ticket reads $244, but am interested in removing that off my record and/or reducing the fine.

Not sure about what to do that takes the least amount of work, cheapest route.

Thanks.

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

1. Take it to court
    2. Ask for Defensive driving to have it removed from record instead of paying the fine.
    3. pay court fees/defensive driving
    4. take defensive driving

Thats the gist of it and I probably forgot something.

3. vstexas09

Are court fees + defensive driving cheaper than the ticket itself?

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Do you have to go to court to get drivers training?

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Considering your auto insurance rate wont jump because you dont have the ticket on your record, I'd imagine you'll save money even if the court fees and defensive driving are more expensive than a ticket.

6. vstexas09

True. Also, is there a certain deadline to do Defensive Driving?

7. marky :)

They're roughly close to the same amount but you wont have the speeding ticket on your record.

You can also only do defensive driving only once per year i think.

8. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that, man.

I hate tickets...and the police seem to *want* to get you these days.

I guess as the other poster mentioned, you could fight it and do defensive driving classes.

But, if it were me, I'd bite the bullet and just pay that baby. Then, you can go back to work and make the difference.

Those points aren't going to matter in the long run. They don't stop you from driving and it isn't like you got a DUI.

I once was ticketed for going 107 in a 65 zone. I was driving back from Vegas in a rental car (It was doopppppe) but I didn't realize how much speed I was picking up.

The cop wanted to take me off to jail for criminal speeding, but I was honest and said I didn't notice. I blamed DMX's greatest hits blaring in my whip for my negligence.

The ticket was expensive, but it really didn't effect my insurance.

I tend to hate doing extra for a ticket, including classes, so I prefer to pay. It's over faster.

I hope everything works out for you.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Deferred adjudication may be an option but I think you end up paying more and you have to have a clean driving record for a probation period in order for the ticket to not go on your record. I did that once because I didn't want to sit through defensive driving.

10. marky :)

Yeah. Sitting in court and going through defensive driving is horrible also. So your preference, pay the fine or go through court/defensive driving.

11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Court costs for JP court are minimal and you can take defensive driving for around $25. You will save at least $150. I'd go that route. I used to work with a guy who taught comedy defensive driving and would sign my certificate without me having to show up. That was sweet.

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

Practice keastering so you can hide a shank.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You don't want it to remain on your record. Go with online defensive driving and get it over with.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

"affect"

15. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Thanks for clearing up my error. Next time, correct the thousands of errors you've made on this message board. You know, all of those "facts" and race-baiting topics.

Better yet, put me on your ignore list. Please.

There's no point communicating with you. Your mind is a miserable dead end.

I've asked you countless times in the past, but were you aware that this is a Rockets fan site? I know you don't watch our guys or understand the game, but you could at least keep your "poo flinging" in the D&D. That's where you belong.

Try watching the Rockets one day. I hear that they have amazing fans and an incredible team. FYI.

1 person likes this.
  16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

#16 Uprising, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Don't show up.

Become a fugitive.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Lol, a little harsh no? Besides, effect/affect is a *****. I get it wrong often, I'm sure. It's no biggie.

Anyway OP I'd try defensive driving.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Call Eutsler Law Firm...they got me out of my speeding ticket by delaying the court date by almost a year. I paid them like 75 bucks and then when I went to court, a lawyer eventually came up to me and told me he got it got dismissed. I went 65 in a 55.

20. vstexas09

Ok sorry. Asking for clarification.

Do I have to go to court to ask for defensive driving or do I directly go to the defensive driving website and have the ticket absolved?