1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Open carry gun law making its way through Texas legislature

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Like most politicians he is talking complete rubbish.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes, by spending millions distorting the truth and crazing up the fears (how you think we got the #1 technological country in the world obligated to flintsones gun tracking). Of course money play a role. And I was pointing to universal background check, not gun rights. I have no problem with gun rights. I have problem with not allowing anything remotely sensible to lessen gun violence.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

It's not only about what people are for, it's how many votes will change based on your position on the issue.

There are two variables when trying to collect votes; what voters want, and what voters care about.

The NRA is powerful because its members care more (regardless of whether it's a majority/minority viewpoint they are advocating).

Whenever a contradictory position is held to their own, leftists always blame money, as if everyone who disagrees with them is acting in bad faith (or are brainwashed by someone acting in bad faith). There is no possibility of sincere disagreement. It's tiresome.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Well, thx for posting more than a pic and video, sincerely.

What voters want & what voters care about does not happen in a vacuum.

I don't have #, but I think most would agree. The candidate that has the most spending for them (by themselves or outside factors) win a much higher %. Spending is largest negative because attacks/fears/doomsday/whatever-else-negative works to influence voters.

I have considered, and it's not a hard one to, that the NRA is made up of mostly the 10% that disagree with the 90% on universal background check.

It's not about sincere disagreement. I'm sure the NRA is sincere in their goal.

It's reality that money influence votes. If you think money doesn't at all influence vote and that is true, people wouldn't waste their money to influence votes. I think people are smarter than that.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

In this case I disagree that walking around Virginia Tech or any college classroom with a firearm to see people freak out is an amusing idea, sincerely.

In this case I disagree that the President should intervene to drive energy prices in any particular direction, absent extreme circumstances, and find it particularly amusing that a low-level libertarian would think that driving the price down should be a high priority (inconsistent much?), sincerely.

In this case I disagree that the Senate's torture report was a conspiracy of the American left in order to help Islamists, sincerely and that torture is ok for retribution, sincerely.

In this case I disagree that you have the faintest idea what you are talking about regarding Citizens United - considering you don't even know which party is on which side, sincerely

In this case I disagreed that it was possible to read negative things into teh July 2014 monthly employment report, sincerely (a fact subsequently validated by several more months of record employment growth)

However, I will sincerely agree that you are not motivated by money when you write these stupid things; nobody is paying you for this, and if they are, they should get their money back unless they are intentionally trying to make "rightists" look like complete dumbasses.

1 person likes this.
  6. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Curious if places will just ban guns altogether now. 30.06's everywhere.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I wonder if this is why Abbott was railing against "Californization", a.k.a. city & local ordinances.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I wonder how many people will actually open carry once allowed to. I'd expect most license-holders will continue to conceal carry.

11. Remii

Remii Member

You do know this is Texas, right...

12. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I'll continue to conceal carry. No use painting a target on myself

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

What do you carry?

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I've heard this sentiment all over the gun discussion boards on Facebook.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This is what I mean:

Gun nuts prefer conceal carry so they can get the drop on would-be bad guys. I was talking to my gun-nut friend that I can rely on to be unreasonable about every public policy debate in the universe -- and he did say the same thing about conceal carry -- and he surprised me by being reasonable, saying open carry is going to scare people needlessly. I think there will be some true believers who will open carry just to exercise their rights and be free, but mostly I think people will prefer to conceal.

16. Falcons Talon

Glock 27.

17. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

I think this is good in the sense say you are at a bar and some drunk idiot is trying to fight you. You just lift your shirt up and say you are armed when he is charging towards you.

In the old days this would be considered brandishing a firearm in most states. Texas doesn't have a brandishing a firearm law so they would charge it as Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon or Misdemeanor Deadly Conduct.

So now I am guessing it isn't illegal at all and you can't be charged with anything since simply showing a gun is no longer illegal since you can open carry now.

18. Falcons Talon

You can't legally carry in a bar or any place that receives over 51% of money from sale of alcohol. Secondly, a firearm is not a show piece. It should never be used as a threat in the first place. Concealed is concealed, and they are very few reasons to draw the weapon. If I am carrying, I would rather avoid a confrontation that can escalate into needing to pull the weapon from its holster. CHL should not empower.

#158 Falcons Talon, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  19. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

XDS .45 for me.

20. Falcons Talon

Is that a dbl stack mid size?