1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leon Smith Signed By Hawks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LAfadeaway33, Jan 14, 2002.

1. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Here's the article:

Hawks Sign Smith to 10-Day Contract

January 14, 2001

The Atlanta Hawks have signed forward Leon Smith to a ten-day contract today, it was announced by VP/GM Pete Babcock.

Smith comes to the Hawks from the CBA's Gary (Ind.) Steelheads, where he averaged 18.0 points and a league-high 15.3 rebounds. He saw action in 19 games with the Steelheads and four with the Sioux Falls (S.D.) Skyforce, and led the league with 18 double-doubles, including a 24-point, 24-rebound effort against the Dakota (N.D.) Wizards on December 11.

A first-round pick of the San Antonio Spurs in the 1999 NBA Draft, Smith was traded to the Dallas Mavericks on June 30, 1999 for the draft rights to Gordon Giricek and a second-round pick in the 2000 Draft. He was released by the Mavericks on February 4, 2000.

Smith will wear number 41.

Smith's comments following first practice:
    "I think I can bring my experience to help this team. I feel grateful (to have another opportunity at the NBA). I feel thankful to all the folks that helped me get back where I am now. I'm just happy for this opportunity. Hopefully I can make the best of it."

(On still only being 21 years old): "I think about that a lot. But at the same time a guy has to be responsible for what he does at some point in his life. I choose to start now."

"My coaching (in the CBA) was great. I had coaches that listened to the players. I had player's coaches. That's what I'm kind of looking for here. I know what to expect. I just want to come in and do my best and really impress the coaches...and at the same time, build kind of a relationship with the players."

"I need to work on everything in regards to my game. Whether I'm at the professional level or any level. You still have to work on the fundamentals, the basics, just to keep your craft solid and complete. I learned a lot from Bernie Bickerstaff. He's a good guy and he really helped me during my first couple of years in the pros. I always wish him the best also."

"(Strengths as a player): I'm strong. I'm not Hercules or anything. And I've got game. I just need an opportunity to display it. But at the same time, I know the issue is being able to cope with what's going to happen and being able to deal with what comes along with it."

"All the people that believe I deserve a chance, they should. If a person wants to fault me, I'm fine with that too. But, like I said, I'm going to take advantage of my opportunities. I'm just grateful to be able to be here and take the next ten days or however long I'm here and use them as a tool and just keep moving on."

"I'm here now to do my best, give 110 percent, and come out every day and provide energy during practice. Whether I stay here (long-term) or not, I want to make sure that the guys work hard around me and make sure that I display a positive attitude around them."

It looks like he's finally got his priorities straight and he's finally getting a chance to show what he can do. I'm happy for him and I think he has the potential to be a very impressive player in this league one day.

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

3. cometsluv4play

does this mean Theo Ratliff is avialible???