1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff Van Gundy on Dwight and the Rockets: 790 interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

- JVG is a fan of the show Party of Five

- Thinks that D12 has a skewed view of winning. It's extremely difficult and not always fun. Does think he places a high value on having fun, however that's not always a bad thing. He just needs to set the tone for teammates with hard work.

- Thinks that he got a bad rap last year with his injury. Dwight has been durable through his career and thinks it was way off for people to question his durability.

- Doesn't think you can make a case for anyone else being the best center in the league. Even in a down year, put up numbers that other centers would love to have.

- Laker players respected his talent, but thought very little of his approach to the game.

- If he is right in the head, he will be best defensive center and best rebounder in the NBA

- Sure you consider trading Asik if something good comes along, but he thinks Asik is really good and you don't just give away someone like that for just anyone. Feels for Asik.

- Thinks Rockets on paper are as good as anyone in the West. Rockets have a legit shot to win it all.

- Impressed with additions that Clippers made. Likes their team but still thinks they need a big that can shoot.

- Remains to be seen with Golden State. Thinks they need a starting caliber PG to backup Curry due to possibility of him going down with ankle.

- Thinks what Rockets did to approach free agency was great. Morey should go out today and buy lottery tickets based on the last 9 months. A great 9 months for Morey and his staff.

7 people like this.
  4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's good to hear Van Gundy thinks we are a threat to be the Conference Champs.

S

5. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

love me some Van Gundy. my boy tells it like he sees it.

would love to see the coaching staff get in contact with him as a consultant, see if he had any ideas or clever schemes he might see applicable on the defensive side.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

JVG is so awesome. I wish he was the color man for the Rox instead of Clyde.

7. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Just a bit more:

-Says that Jared Dudley is an excellent addition to the Clippers, but Reddick isn't a starting 2 in the NBA (surprising).

-On the Warriors, said the loss of Jack and Landry really hurts their depth. Wonders who will back up Curry and which wing will slide over the 4 when going small.

-He's impressed with the Rockets' ability to stay viable/relevant, and thus attractive to free agents, while maintaining maximum flexibility.

-The Gasol loss was a home-run for the Rockets, allowing Harden to come later.

-Let's play 2013 before we start talking about Lebron's free agency. Please.

3 people like this.
  8. dream1222

dream1222 Member

Thanks for the recap

9. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Has there ever been a bigger Rockets supporter out there? I mean the dude goes out of his way to show the Rockets some love. I wish we didnt do him so dirty. Here's to you JVG...a real american Rickets patriot.

10. jdjd

jdjd Member

love me some VAAAAAAAANNNNN GUUUUUNDY!!!!!

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

JVG one year ago:

"Dwight Howard's a punk, he's a child, he needs to grow up, he got my brother fired, if he even cared about the game he'd be great but it's always everyone else's fault...."

JVG today:

"Dwight Howard on the Rockets? Great! Fabulous! If he leads by example? Five championships! Woo hoo! Gotta go change my shorts, excuse me!"

1 person likes this.
  12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think JVG really changed his tone that much. But many fans here sure did.

13. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I think his tone was a bit more Van Gundier.

1 person likes this.
  14. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

I wish JVG would retire as an announcer and either be a head coach again, or a Referee. More preferably a ref.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Kinda like in Dallas and L.A. right now.

Some other poster in another thread (I'm too lazy to go find it) is talking about how in Dallas they believed they'd get Howard and how great he is and now that reality has beeyotch-slapped them in the face he's a complete dog.

Of course, some people here would certainly dog him if he'd stay with the Lakers, but he did follow through on playing for a team built to win and not going for the extra money.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Chicken Man delivers for Houston again. Dunleavy sr. told Stern the group he was repping would not buy the team if that trade went through.

17. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Howard will somehow end up in Miami after tearing our team apart.

18. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

Thanks for the MAJOR solid!

[​IMG]

19. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

JVG as a ref would bring about a golden age for basketball. Games would take less time, people would get home earlier, thus, go to more games, and we would get pure entertainment back in the sport. No more flops, and wimpy foul calls. The charge would get taken out, and hard fouls would be good, tough, no nonsense fouls again. Forget this tech and flagrant junk!

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member