1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Morey showcasing Asik for trade value?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by howo13579, Nov 12, 2013.

1. howo13579

howo13579 Member

It’s to the point this is the only reason I could think of to start both Howard and Asik. Neither player has any range and in the few games we’ve played, TT has been a disaster. Even though Morey said he let McHale have all authorization, but there’s no way any coach (even McHale) not realize TT is not going to work. Asik is too good of a center and has told the world he doesn’t like to be a backup. Morey has done it last season with Morris and Patterson. My guess is he’s going to be traded this season.

2. quatin

quatin Member

Trading Asik is a mistake.

Last year, we were a top 10 defense with Asik and 29th without Asik. We had no back up center other than Greg Smith, a big rookie PF. If we get rid of Asik, we're back to square one unless we trade for another defensive center, which is redundant.

There's potential for a lot of minutes for Asik. Dwight fades in the 2nd half, which makes him about as useful as Asik. Asik can get 25+ minutes, by playing the majority of the 4th quarter to avoid Hack-a-Dwight.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No. There is not another team in the NBA that wonders how Asik would play with Dwight Howard.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Just trade Asik at this point. He is clearly not buying into this and you can see that on the court. His effort is clearly lacking as compared to last season and his minutes are dwindling with each game.

I really wanted this to workout but it just isn't

5. Play07

Play07 Member

asik is a good back up center and helps the team more than being a liability at this point, this team can do just fine with the the players we have in the right system. yes TT needs to stop, but saying oh we need to trade him ASAP for the team to be successful is a reach. We have 2 stars in H & H and good players in lin and parsons & a deep bench.

im sure he will get traded eventually but just getting a PF could put you in a situation where then we have issues when howard is in foul trouble or teams use the hack a dwight earlier in the game.

morey is being patient and waiting on the right opportunity to come around but this current roster can get the job done until then. So we have to have to have a ALL STAR at 3 spots to win games now ????

6. Paaratohre

Paaratohre Member

I like to have two great centers and it's great to know, that you can always have a 7-footer with good defense on the floor. But he is paid too much for what he can bring to this team right now. Asik is a great player and I would be really sad to see him go, but the twin tower experiment doesn't seem to be working out too well and some of his talent is wasted with the current Rockets. So it would probably make sense to trade him and get somebody in return, who's skills will be of better use within this roster.

I think not having a great back-up center will be less of an issue, since Howard plays about 6-8 Minute more per game than Asik and D-Mo and Greg Smith have one more year of experience under their belt.

By the way, playing Asik, a guy who hit his free throws with about 5% more accuracy than Howard last year, isn't really a strategy to avoid Hack-A-Dwight.

7. eomor131

eomor131 Member

I don't think so.
    He is always that face.
    When you see how he help our guards fighting screens you can tell he's not playing lazy.

8. Play07

Play07 Member

how many times did we see hack of asik in 88 games last year ?

how many times have we saw hack a dwight in 8 games ? and asik FT has improved this season

im not saying we shouldnt trade him, but saying we have to trade him for a PF until we can win is a reach. & yes dmo and smith would be ok as a backup but think about if howard has to sit a whole game.

9. fv court

fv court Member

twin towers is not working. But having an elite center like Asik to back up Dwight is worth more than a second tier PF that might be available at this point. Wait for the deadline. And, I don't see any point in "showcasing" him. The league already knows what he can do, I think he only loses value in the mismatch play with Dwight.

10. fv court

fv court Member

....meant to say elite defensive center like Asik.

11. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Yeah I agree,Asik clearly wants out he doesn't Play with the Heart äs he did Last Year,expect him to be traded in December

12. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Well, in that case the Rockets must be tanking to improve the value of their 2014 first rounder up come trade time, right? Morey so smart!

Seriously, McHale probably wanted to give the twin towers a fair shot. Why the impatience? Yes, it's not working... so it probably won't be long before Asik is coming off the bench.

13. TheBigFive

TheBigFive Member

Just because he is marginalized because of Dwight, does not mean he is not playing with heart.

14. Normalus

Normalus Member

Agreed. They just try them both, and if it clicks - we win. But as we see - it's not. Trade come soon.

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Whats there to showcase? He was out there for everyone to see all last year.

If anyone who manages an NBA still does not know what Asik brings to the team they are not doing their work.

16. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

"Just Trade Asik" as simple as it sounds. Not to sound Cliché but we can't get equal value for him at this point. Even though his $8M is significant, there is no one that would help us that is as good and makes the same amount of money. Morey would get gang raped on any trade involving Asik. Aldridge? You'd have to add $6M more in salary to give to Portland. Boozer? Hardly an even trade for us as it is but he still makes double what Asik makes. You'd be looking at Lin & Asik just for Boozer.

Kevin Love? Same thing. Bosh? Even worse. We'd have to trade Asik, Lin, and DMo and TJones. The only player that remotely makes sense is Spencer Hawes who makes only $6M but no way in hell Philly gives him away for Asik. Hats off to Morey getting all these players on cheap contracts, but it makes them very difficult if not damn near impossible to trade.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Seriously, McHale giving TT a shot for the sake of it working for the Rockets fits very well with my thought that playing TT has nothing to do with improving Asik's trade value. My choice of the word "another" was based on the Rockets wanting to know if they can get it to work for their own sake. Your logic must be seriously off if you can extrapolate tanking from my comment.

18. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I think showcasing Asik isn't the term as much as the initial plan was to prove to vultures circling over head that we don't need to trade him, because he "can play with Dwight". But it has backfired.

19. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

You really don't think Philly would give away Hawes for Asik? Hawes is on an expiring so I don't see him on their team long term. I think Philly definitely does Asik + pick for Hawes...and then next year turns around trades Asik for another pick. I also think that's overpaying for Hawes though, as he is on an expiring...

Ryan Anderson works, as has been noted many times on this board. Millsap does too. Frye is a lesser option that also could work. I think these guys would all work very well on offense, the question is how much of an upgrade they'd be over Casspi on defense. I know this is crude, but given Casspi's deficiency has a lot to do with size, here is a comp in size between him and those other guys:

Casspi: 6'9 225lbs

Anderson 6'10 240lbs
    Millsap 6'8 253lbs
    Hawes 7'1 245lbs
    Frye 6'11 245

Actually, Hawes so big I wonder if he'd have a really hard time playing next to Howard. Technically Asik is an inch shorter and 10 pounds heavier, but Asik seems much thicker to me.

20. Raven

Raven Member

If Asik requested a trade, what choice do the Rockets have but to honor that request? There are numerous ways a player can make their displeasure known.