1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need Advice- Job opportunity in Tyler, TX

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by xcamm1, Oct 27, 2014.

1. xcamm1

xcamm1 Member

Hello Clutchfans,

Soooo I was born and raised in Houston. All my family & friends are in Houston, Went to college in Houston, live downtown and love it. I have recently been offered a job that would be double my pay (around 150k) but it would require me to move to Tyler.

Myself and soon to be fiance are 30(she is open to the move). I have heard from tons of people what a great town it is, great to raise a family etc etc, but I am torn on it.

I bleed Rockets, Astros, Texans. What should I do? I would miss my city, but am I just being immature on my reasons to stay?
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I had a similar opportunity but my move was from Houston to Charlotte in 1999. Charlotte in 1999 was not how it is now. It was not cool, but still more metropolitan than Tyler. That part is not the same as you. The part I can related to is moving to some city I didn't know, and not knowing anyone except for my boss that I met earlier.

What I looked at was this-
    1) job opportunity
    2) cost of living
    3) quality of living
    4) things to do

For you, you would have to add "would I want to raise a family there"
    and "do we enjoy what Tyler has to offer"?

In the end, I did move to Charlotte worked for this investment bank there, but I Moved back in a year to go to graduate school in Texas. I did it to further my career; also there, I noticed what I wanted to do, so I applied to graduate school and moved on.

Regarding sports, you will have to subscribe to NBA League pass and nfl the similar etc. Because you only get Dallas crap up there.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You get out of here ASAP stat and take it. You are the human parsons.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

A few months ago spent a week vacation at Lake Palestine and spent a lot of time in Tyler. We would move there in a heartbeat... a bigger "city" than I expected but still had a small town feel.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

What do you do? I thought they were laying people off in Tyler.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Are the Rockets, Astros, and Texans about to pay you $150k? If no, then enjoy Tyler. You'll have plenty of money to purchase League Pass, Sunday Ticket, and Extra Innings. Plus Houston will still only be a weekend trip away. Congrats!

7. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

xcamm1,

Say yes before they change their mind. Take it and don't look back.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The Dallas downtown is very clean.

I would go.

You can always come back later, ya know.

9. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If they DOUBLE your salary, you need to move ASAP. It's only 1.5 hours to Dallas and a little over 3 hours to Houston. You're not moving to Montana.

Tyler is a smaller city, but it has many of the same chain restaurants, businesses, etc. You're not going to get the "high-class" shopping experience, or the extreme fine dining, but hey, it's serviceable.

I worked in Tyler quite a bit when I was in East Texas. If you had to move that way, Tyler is probably the best place to go.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

You should be offended that your currently employer does not treat you like the third star that you are and go to Tyler.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Make sure to post Instagram photos

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

When you leave I will create a (butthurt) thread on how douche you were here anyways.

13. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Just be glad your current employer let you out of your contract early. Now take your w**** face and get out of our city you traitor.

jk

One question I have for you, is what you are doing not available here in Houston? Is there a reason why you have to go to Tyler to make that much? Can you not find a similar increase in Houston? Even if it's only from $75k to $130k, it would be more than worth it to be able to stay at home and near family.

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

I went to school in tyler. There's not much to do there but for $150K you can fly to dallas or houston every weekend. lol.

Take it. NOW.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Few people achieve the wealth and success they actually aspire to, a big part of what keeps you going 10-15 years in is whom and or what you go home to after punching out. So you're completely justified in questioning or even turning down the move, especially if you're genuinely comfortable in the lifestyle your current salary provides you. Whatever you end up doing, maybe promise to tart networking more through trade groups and/or community stuff, just to feel like you're still upwardly mobile.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

When he leaves the internet or just Houston?

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Take the job. You can always move back later.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sheeeeiiiiiiiit you need to take that offer ASAP. Double your salary? I'd accept that on the spot and I've never even been to Tyler.

Please do tell what you do so I can take that job if you don't. Hell I'll get Sunday Ticket and League Pass and my Houston fandom would be as strong as ever.

19. conquistador#11

like my mobster boss friend who basically raised me once said, JJ watt does not pay your rent, kid. :p

besides, with the internet, you won't miss much. I remember being in boston then san antonio on dial up watching the play play chart move then having to refresh. not fun times.

don't pass up on an opportunity like that. you might end up regretting it later when the texans keep losing divisional playoffs and the rockets still look to get to a game 7 in the first round.

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Congrats on the job. Don't worry, whenever you decide to come back, Houston will be exactly as you left it