1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who invented head banging? A Guitarist or the fans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Sep 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm probably off by a few years...but I always thought Angus invented head banging. Or was he adapting to the crowd. It's just incredible. How can you play that guitar and bang your head like that???!!!

Something tells me Rockets2K and TheFreak will be the final vote on this.

I give you Hells Bells from original live....and Back in Black

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/etAIpkdhU9Q?list=RDpAgnJDJN4VA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back in Black

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pAgnJDJN4VA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#1 heypartner, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  2. Warheart

Warheart Member

Ian Gillian

3. Warheart

Warheart Member

Gillan* iPhone autocorrect

4. heypartner

did you get that from Wikipedia....we don't need that. We knew this... it still says Angus was the man, but yet says the fans were first.

sigh...ima gonna hafta repost wikipdedia just to show y'all the
    question is not answerable via relying upon kids with cell phones.
    Origin

The origin of the term "headbanging" is contested.
    It is possible that the term "headbanger" was coined during Led Zeppelin's first US tour in 1969.[1] During a show at the Boston Tea Party, audience members in the first row were banging their heads against the stage in rhythm with the music.

Ozzy Osbourne and Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath are among the first documented headbangers, as it is possible to see on a band's concert in Paris, 1970.[2]

Lemmy from Motörhead, however, said in an interview on the documentary The Decline of Western Civilization II: The Metal Years, that the term "Headbanger" may have originated in the band's name, as in "Motorheadbanger".

Ian Gillan, frontman of Deep Purple, when asked if he invented headbanging, said: "That’s a definite possibility", although he claimed that "it was not really head banging — more hair floating".[3]

The practice itself and its association with the rock genre was popularized by guitarist Angus Young of the band AC/DC.[4]​

so, i'm asking....when did you first headbang, to what band, and tell us more.

#4 heypartner, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  5. Warheart

Warheart Member

First of all it was not Wikipedia just my personal opinion. There will probably never be a definitive answer to who started it, some kid from India could have started it for all we know

6. heypartner

cheers,,,,so help us out...it wasn't Ian Gillan or one person. I think it was the fans and guitarists grew up to do it. But that's just me

According to Wikipedia, this is the first headbanging on record.

Ozzie Osbourne in Paris 1970... in his day...what a great Black Sabbath show

so, tell us, is this headbanging

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jtnC28jAA9k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WAR PIGS

7. heypartner

btw I have to do this once a year.

Can I nominate Black Sabbath as most underrated/forgotten band of all time? Bill Ward!

yes
    no
    maybe?
    am I getting too old to support the real war pigs effort.

8. Warheart

Warheart Member

Tbh I don't think it's a situation such as the metal horns and Dio are associated I think head banging is more of a movement in which it just caught along with the crowd and just happened to grow with the music

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

I know nothing about metal, but wasn't it Metalica who invented it?

10. heypartner

and hence the OP question. I'm hoping people can tell us when they first headbanged and to what band.

I don't think the bands did is first.

you are thinking Motorhead

but, before we discuss this, do you know Black Sabbath and "metal" occurred during the Vietnam War...like late 60s when John Lennon and Yoko were breaking up the Beattles.

if anything the fans invented it in line with Ozzie getting so excited, like Vietnam rock **** from other countries.

hence Black Sabbath...in 1970 with Ozzie swinging his head around and just flat out loving that song.

but do you consider that headbanging?

11. heypartner

and the other wiki footnote says mabye Led Zepplin's fans started this on their stage.

Well, we can see here from Texas, Jimmy Page wasn't headbaning in 1969

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EVeFm_Ns3nk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. heypartner

Dazed and Confused 1969

no headbanging

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IC6SwzXvyzw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

egg or chicken, which came first?

14. Warheart

Warheart Member

bacon

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

Damn... heavy history lesson. I know of Black Sabbath (don't know their songs though... I think I get them confused with Led Zeppelin), but didn't know the time frame. All I know is that Ozzie bit a bat's head off on stage.

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Keith Richards, 1965 at the 24 second mark...and the camera man at the 1:40 mark.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NEjkftp7J7I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

October 30 , 1968

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uo35O1AJOfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

ringo starr.

19. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

People were probably headbanging to the beat of drums before battle long before any of this.

20. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I've always thought that the Led Zep story was the most credible... fans were literally banging their heads against the stage. The band themselves were never really headbangers, although their hair was way longer than even the British rockers who were their immediate forebears. Jimmy Page would have never intentionally messed up his hair by headbanging! Those freaks at the earliest Zeppelin gigs were probably the first documented headbangers, although weirdos were probably losing their minds in a similar fashion at MC5 and Blue Cheer gigs at around the same time.

The Angus Young theory is pretty decent, although if you watch the band's earliest filmed performances, neither Young nor the audience is doing anything you could really call headbanging. Chuck Berry moves, especially the duck walk, were his stock and trade. I happen to think that Geezer and, to a lesser extent, Ozzy were the first rock musicians who were honest-to-God headbanging. I'm sure Gene Simmons probably claims he invented it, much like he does with the "devil horns" finger salute.