1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unarmed man shot by LE for seatbelt violation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Sep 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LaaeXIg9kSk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

LOL seatbelt violation. They will start shooting for anything these days.

Im not sure what kind of punishment this guy deserves, but he should not be a cop to say in the least. I think prison is a little harsh.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Obligatory...

Already been posted. On the first page. Are we going to make a new topic for every time a black person is shot. Etc.

4. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I don't post race-baiting threads so I missed the previous thread on the subject.

1 person likes this.
  6. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

good one. Well played, sir.

fify

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Cops checking for seat belt violations don't need guns. Problem solved.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That works till someone gets pulled over for a seat belt stop and decides to shoot the cop....it's not like that hasn't happened before.

9. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

At least he's going to get paid when he files a lawsuit against the trigger happy cop.

...but really, shooting someone over a seatbelt violation?

10. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Prison is precisely where this dirt bag should be.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

12. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

L aw
    E nforcement

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

GI

G ot
    I t

14. likestohypeguy

One would have had to play that perfectly to avoid getting shot. First you would have had to realize that you needed to tell the officer, who must have been assuming his license was on him, that it's actually in the car, how should I proceed etc. And most importantly, move much slower, never move that quick around cops- if you always err on the side of moving too slow for their liking, worst case is getting screamed at louder, but you move too fast...

:(

I mean from the victim's perspective, as the cop's instructions were seemingly coming to him: "Get in the carGETOUTTATHECAR!BANG! haha simon didn't say get in the car"

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

[​IMG]

16. cml750

cml750 Member

Anyone of any race should know not to make any sudden moves in front of the Police. If he needed to get his license he should have let the cop know he was reaching for his license and moved VERY slowly. I can see why the cop thought he might be reaching for a gun. The cop has no way of knowing if person is reaching for their license or a gun in these situations. Cops have to look out for their own safety too. I am white and was stopped one time and could not find my insurance card before I pulled over. I let the officer know up front, I was looking through my glove box for my insurance card and moved VERY slowly as he had his hand on his gun and to tell the truth I do not blame him.

17. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Instead of having to fear for our lives while we are looking for our licenses, maybe cops should be trained to give people the benefit of the doubt before unloading their clips. I understand being a cop is a dangerous job, but these people knew that they were taking a risk when they signed up for the job. That doesn't give them the right to open fire 'just in case'. It is tough to make split second decisions, but that burden of responsibility should fall on the cop, not the private citizen. These guys are acting like they are Judge Dredd.

To be honest, I would rather live with the risk that cops will occasionally get shot in the line of duty, if it means no more unarmed civilians get gunned down. Cops intentionally put themselves in harm's way. Unarmed motorists do not.

18. cml750

cml750 Member

Not to say all cops are Saints, but why would ANYONE make a sudden move in front of a cop. It is beyond stupid. Cops are human and look out for their own self interest too. Surely a logical person can see why a cop would be nervous when person makes a sudden move to grab something out of their car??? I can't say for sure but I might have shot the guy myself in a similar situation.

19. likestohypeguy

As a kid I remember getting a kick out of imagining what I knew would be a suicide move- when a cop asks for license & insurance, you scream "I got it right here!" while frantically reaching under your seat as fast as you can move. Of course the only thing under there is your license & insurance, so you're legal, but of course still dead lol.

20. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

If your going to shoot the guy how about saying "Give me your licenses, don't make any sudden movements, move very slow or else I'm going to shoot you!!!"

He discharged like five bullets or something. Crazy. This is all for a potential no seatbelt pull over.

Giving clear directions should be the first thing the cop should have done. I've seen some cops not overreact and just remind folks to keep their hands on the wheel or move slowly beforehand.