1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For fans of The Daily Show

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dei, Feb 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Dei

Dei Member

This is a long vid., so sit down and maybe grab something to bite. Peter Schiff gives a great behind the scenes to how The Daily Show works its very entertaining interviews.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F9LNP-yXXUc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. yo

yo Contributing Member

I watched a little of it, and from what I gather, he's getting pissy over that segment that the Daily Show frequently does where they cut an interview and intentionally take lines out of context for comedic purposes. Clearly, he does not watch the show, but how did one of his colleagues not tell him that it is a comedic segment? Surely, someone in his social/professional circles knows about it? What a waste of outrage.

3. Dei

Dei Member

He explains why he did The Daily Show practically the first thing (first 2 min.) on the video. If you find that insufficient he does so again around the 1:02:00.

The content of their show has a political message too. People do watch TDS and come out with their opinion influenced.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Not really. Like most other "news" sources, The Daily Show gives their audience what they want. My opinions don't get changed when I watch that show. Because they say stuff I generally agree with. That's unfortunately how news works today.

The only time I find my political or social leanings change is when I watch actual news or actual reporting on PBS. Frontline, for example, has broadened my horizons and caused me to research into many things I did not know previously. Daily Show? I generally forget about the contents within half an hour after the show.

5. Dei

Dei Member

Whatever floats your boat. However, I'm sure there are people who do. It's a popular show.

No comments on the content actual video?

6. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I'm surprised he's surprised by this. Anybody watching previous Daily Show segments (not the interviews done at the studio, but the ones done in the field) are ALWAYS edited for one side of the argument or the other.

BTW I do love watching the Daily Show, but economically, I am actually more on Schiff's side than the current liberal's side, and this vid is actually really interesting to see how TDS does bias its interviews to create two extreme sides of argument for a segment. I guess the future warning here is, if you actually, genuinely want to get your side heard on the Daily Show, ask for a full guest interview, not a segment where you will be part of the joke.

7. Dei

Dei Member

If you're talking about me - you're jumping the gun. I'm not surprised.

Yes, my interest is sharing this man's experience. How did you find it?

I agree. He actually concluded the same. He actually talks in the vid how TDS gave him assurances in both verbal and written fashion that what he'd be saying wouldn't be taken out of context as I pointed out in my response to 'yo'.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Unfortunately . . . The Daily Show is one of the MOST TRUSTED SOURCES OF NEWS IN AMERICA

I agree. I like it. it is funny. it is meant to be funny
    yet
    some think of it as LEGIT news

So the comedic interview is funny . .. but it skews the person's view to a level it may not be. It is not 'honest' . . . it is more about the joke than the accuracy

It is not the Daily Show's fault but it maybe its problem

Rocket River

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

TDS doesn't influence my opinion, it mirrors it. I think I've disagreed with the Jon once in fifteen years.

10. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

The Daily Show is a comedy show and never pretends to be otherwise. Fox News does a lot of the same thing and identifies itself as legitimate news organization.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

The Daily Show has a reputation for collecting hours of pretaped interview footage and then splicing together a few minutes to make the interviewee look as bad as possible.

Never do a pretaped interview with them unless they agree to post a full video/written transcript online.

This is the Jon Stewart "clown nose on/off" defense. If they are called on anything, if they are loose with the truth, they claim it's just a comedy show.

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

*Wait* is this supposed to be a surprise and/or a new revelation?

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Jon Stewart is a comedian and the Daily Show airs on a channel called Comedy Central.

Maybe if Dennis Miller was still funny conservatives could have their own version of TDS.

14. Dei

Dei Member

No comments on all the stuff the guy's talking about in the video? There's a whole lot of stuff said about the issue of minimum wage.

15. Dei

Dei Member

Might be for some guys. I've never heard of such a thorough account of the manipulation TDS does on its interviews.

Actually, Peter Schiff was given assurance verbally and in writing that the things he say wouldn't be taken out of context (http://schiffradio.com/b/EXCLUSIVE:-How-The-Daily-Show-Lies/-846064028400943500.html).

16. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

honestly I just watched the first 5 minutes. Who on earth has time for 1 hour video on a saturday about a topic that isn't quite that interesting, and frankly, nobody can be 100% sure how raising the minimum wage affects unemployment rates and wages.

17. Dei

Dei Member

He had very concrete arguments against it if you watch it. In fact, you said you were more on his side on a post above. I don't think he gets to talk about his actual arguments in the first 5 min.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://reason.com/blog/2013/05/24/wayne-allyn-root-calls-his-daily-show-in

http://carm.org/matt-slick-daily-show

But you see, it's a "comedy show", which gives them license to defame people's character and destroy their reputations.

Ha ha...

1 person likes this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you prefer censoring what the Daily Show does? Are we really all so politically correct that a comedy show, can't make it so that somebody is saying something so ridiculous it's funny?

Nothing I've seen here seems new to me. I thought that was what TDS was doing the whole time. I don't think anyone's reputation should be ruined because of an edited interview they did on the Daily Show.

20. Dei

Dei Member

You don't think some people take this as a factual account? Why is it whenever someone says something horrible because it's been sliced up that way, the audience groans? The people he interviews actually do get hate mail, including death threats.

Jon Stewart can't be that stupid to not know. Or maybe he just doesn't care? But he keeps on feeding it.