1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HD for Time Warner

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NBAHOU713, Mar 15, 2007.

Tags:
  1. NBAHOU713

NBAHOU713 Contributing Member

Anyone have this? Im moving into a subdivision that includes the cable w my HOA. I currently have dish, which is great. Let me know if anyone has HD w time warner and what you think. Thanks in advance...

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i have it. it looks great, if that's what you're wondering. don't have dish or anything to compare it to, but i've been very happy with the picture.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I really like it. The picture is awesome! My main problem with T/W HD is that there aren't many channels. They've been adding a bunch of channels with nothing on them, yet, so I'm optimistic that there will be a big increase.

Did I say the picture is incredible? Much better than my upconverted DVD's on my 1080p, which look really, really good. And you know something? The NBA looks FABULOUS in HD! Someday, I hope all the league pass channels are channeling HD. And the Astros. And that Houston NFL team obscurely named after a state, for some bizarre reason... as if we wouldn't know which state a Houston team would be in! ;)

4. NBAHOU713

NBAHOU713 Contributing Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I love it too.

DD

6. updawg

updawg Member

lack of HD channels is the biggest downfall.

Does anyone with a TW HD-DVR have problems every now and then with a recorded show. Every now and then there will be one that is just unwatchable, pixelates(i guess). Kind of annoying, I'm hesitant to swap out the box (in Austin)

7. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

I never had a dish, but when i decided to go HD, i went digital cable because I didnt want the hassle of taking the dish etc. when i decided to move.

I got the Digital Value plan, with HD Plus w ESPN HD and NBATV (these 2 channels alone worth way more than the extra $5 a month for HD Plus).
    I became heavily addicted to these channels and would almost watch them exclusively.
    Then, I bought the NBA season pass for the special offer of half price shortly before the seasons midway point. I became heavily addicted to that. I will probably do this every season, once this deal is offered 1/3 through the season. Most the games are not in HD. Sometimes NBATV games are on the INHD channel. Overall basketball looks great in HD, and I even prefer it over being at the game. Its almost like you have the best seats in the house. Between ESPNHD, TNTHD, and INHD there are many HD NBA games to catch.
    Rarely the Rockets play on FSNHD but sometimes its the Spurs, and most the time its off the air. Im hoping/guessing this channel will be used a lot more in the future.

I went through some trouble in the beginning with a bogus box (not all channels would come in clear). I had to switch it out for another one and sometimes TWC is completely out of new HDDVRs so this was quite a headache. But once a working box was installed its been smooth sailing.

I just use the component cables, some users reported errors with HDMI on some channels. I cant really complain, since its my first HD set up Im still very satisfied.

Once NFL starts though I will regret not being able to get NFL Sunday Ticket (Dish Only). Because I caught the tail end of the NFL season in HD, and I cant wait until next season.

Any one have experience with Sports Extra? which is basically 3-4 more Fox Sports Channels; Atlantic, Pacific, Central?
    I would imagine a lot of NFL games would be shown on these during the NFL season? Are they in HD?

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I have that package and they show zero NFL games during the season, and nothing in HD. I do enjoy the extra college football games and am HOPING some MLB games will be shown, but I doubt it. Watching 'Pinks' on either the Speed Channel or Fuel is well worth the extra $4 a month. That show is swuut.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what kinda deal are they giving you?

10. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Dish has 25+ channels in HD...trust me it offers the highest selection of HD programming.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I haven't had any problems with my HD-DVR. Some programs do get pixelated at times(Smallville is the most notorious), but that's likely due to the content of the program coupled with the low bandwidth of the broadcast.

The worst one I ever encountered was Chronicles of Riddick on HBO-HD. All the action sequences and rapid camera movement were too much for it to handle. I saw almost nothing but large blocks in a few scenes.

12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

yea

lack of hd channels is the biggest problem for many tv fans

by the end of 2007 there should be many other channels switching to HD

the channels I would like to see in HD are

Comedy Central
    CNN
    NBC
    FX
    All NBA games

13. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

NBC is in HD .... not all of the shows are HD but almost all the main ones are..

14. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I want MTV in HD. would love to see the Beyonce and Shakira video in HD.

15. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Remember people Time Warner will be Comcast within months...in fact, my last bill payed by my bank stated it was a Comcast payment, not a Time Warner.

From what I have heard, Comcast has fewer HD channels than TWC.
    Now I LOVE TWC HD...it's awesome. There are even some Fox Sports games like the Astros and Rockets in HD. There are also HD PPV movies you can order. It's great....I hope it doesn't change too much.

16. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

From what I heard Comcast has more HD channels than TW
    They have what TW has now plus ESPN2 and maybe a few more others.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's supposed to happen in Houston, right? Not in Austin, as far as I know. That's been my impression... am I off base?

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I gotta HDMI cable, instead of using the cables they gave. I didnt like paying $10 just for ESPNHD and some movie channel I never watch. Also, there is some fuzziness on the bottom of the ESPNHD channel. Not sure if everyone else has this problem. Overall, the quality is good in my opinion.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NBATV is so awesome.
    they show all these vintage NBA commericals "NBA Action is FANTASTIC"
    they always show all these old classic games, plus you get stuff like "What happened to Michael Ray"

20. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Well from what I have been told, and I can be wrong, is NBATV will be going away once Comcast programming takes over and NFL Network will be coming.
    I'm excited about NFL Network since last season there were Sunday night games I was unable to watch since Time Warner does not have NFL Network.