1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mississippi Governor passes "Religious Freedom" law...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Hmm, Apr 3, 2014.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Post of the year!

Although to be fair, the Jews do get a lot of extra holidays. :)

2. bongman

bongman Member

:grin:

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

westboro is a religion?

4. itstheyear3030

It's clear the most people in this thread have no idea what they're talking about and just want to argue about religion. People seem to think that these types of laws are made to give state imprimatur to private discrimination whether against gays or some other group, but that simply isn't the case. It is meant to keep state organizations from passing laws or taking actions that burden a person's right to practice their religion. For instance, if a zoning ordinance was passed to force a local mosque to shut down, members could sue under such a law. Do people expect Mississippi lawmakers to pass an anti-gay discrimination bill or something like that? I wouldn't hold my breath.

As my example suggests, in practice, these types of laws have tended to benefit non-majority religions disproportionately because most lawmakers are Christian or from a Christian background (thus passing laws that may seem religion-neutral, but really aren't). In any event, this law will probably have little to no effect on gay people, but let us continue arguing about separation of church and state and the liberal pile on.

5. Major

Major Member

Not the physical Westboro building itself. But yes, the Westboro people believe in their own unique religion. Is that not common sense?

6. Major

Major Member

You do realize no one in this thread criticized this law, right? This seems like a perfect example of this:

http://kotaku.com/a-reminder-that-not-everyone-reads-before-commenting-1557812641

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

As an American, I am and I should be more worried about the legislative influence the Christian right has in my country than Islamic terrorism affecting me in any way shape or form other than a horrible excuse to take my privacy rights away from me.

8. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

http://www.theonion.com/articles/gay-teen-worried-he-might-be-christian,2888/

"OH WE LOVE YOU, FREAKS OF NATURE. of course bare acceptance is all you should need from us healthy normals, you deviant. look at how generous we are, casting all kinds of aspersions on your lifestyle and who you are, and pre-forgiving you for them! WOW"

9. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Its quite terrible how these people use religion to promote hate.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Can someone point out the controversy around the bill

The article mentions nothing and i am confused