1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Delta Changes Frequent Flyer Program

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Feb 26, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad I've used up a bunch of Delta frequent flier miles because it looks like I won't be earning much more. This is doubly bad for me because Delta has a practical strangle hold on flights out of Minneapolis St. Paul.

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=AP&date=20140226&id=17384625

Big changes ahead for frequent fliers on Delta

ATLANTA (AP) - Delta Air Lines is making fundamental changes to its frequent flier program and will reward those who buy its priciest tickets, as opposed to those who fly the most miles.

It will be the first major carrier to make such a change and other airlines will certainly be watching to see how travelers react to the change.

Delta said Wednesday that the 2015 SkyMiles program will better recognize frequent business travelers and leisure customers who buy premium fares.

It's a bid to lure the much-sought-after business traveler, but it will affect everyone who flies with the carrier and uses the program.

Delta had been moving in the direction of a revenue-based program. In January 2013 the company said that its 2014 frequent fliers would need to spend at least $2,500 to qualify for the lowest level of elite status. Previously, they could qualify on miles alone.

A revenue-based program generally rewards business travelers. Those fliers are critical to airlines because they book flights on short notice and buy more expensive tickets, versus the typical leisure traveler that plans a trip well in advance and hunts for the cheapest fares.

JetBlue Airways Corp.'s "True Blue" frequent flier program already awards points based on dollars spent, not on miles. And in 2011 Southwest Airlines Co. changed its frequent flier program to reward more-expensive tickets.

But the change by a carrier that has the reach of Delta could signal a more definitive shift in catering more to those sitting in the front of the plane, rather than the back-seaters.

Delta Air Lines Inc., based in Atlanta, says it's making the announcement about changes to its SkyMiles program 10 months in advance so customers have ample time to make travel plans. The new program goes into effect on Jan. 1, 2015.

Delta said that other program updates will include a new mileage redemption structure that will improve Award seat availability at the lowest mileage requirement levels; offering One-Way Awards at half the price of round-trip and providing additional Miles + Cash Award options.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

So sick of this crap. I have a feeling United is going to do something similar so we used over 400,000 miles for our 7 day vacation to Peter Island again this year. I'm not losing those miles, I'll keep my Amex ones.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Not trying to derail... But I checked Peter Island out the last time that you mentioned it in a thread. That place looks amazing.

4. LonghornFan

Trust me, heaven on earth. Once you go there absolutely NOTHING compares. The only place that comes close is The Isle of Mustique, but I still prefer Peter Island due to the isolation and peace since there are only around 30-40 rooms available on the entire island, so you always have privacy.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

LonghornFan, the changes should apply only to new peeps, or peeps with already-accumulated miles should be "grandfathered in" and that should make it fair. Wouldn't it be fair to do it that way? :eek:

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

How much? :eek:

Looking for honeymoon spot.

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Sky Pesos never were worth much.

8. LonghornFan

We stay in the Beachfront Suites, but the Oceanview ones are nice too. I just like being able to walk right from the room right onto the beach.

Rates.

We do not do the meal plan as we don't eat $500 worth of food a day, just crazy. You also have to account for the flight to San Juan, the the puddle jumper to Tortola or St. Johns. The island then sends their own large boat to ferry you from the larger island to the resort.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

Is June-Oct a bad time to go? Weather wise?

10. LonghornFan

That's when we always go. The rooms are cheaper, the island is usually only half full in June so it's very private and the water temps are perfect. The average high in June is around 85 degrees, we only had rain one evening for about 30 minutes and with the non stop trade winds it's hard to even work up a sweat. It always feels just perfect.

If you go, PM through the board and I'll let you know how the place runs, how to get the best spots on any beach reserved, etc.

1 person likes this.
  11. Sajan

Sajan Member

send you an email. thanks!!

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Pretty sure Peter Island is a club on Fairview that probably existed in the late 90's.

13. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I have to fly to Columbus, GA next week... effing Delta blows.

Southwest for life. Every two flights, I basically get enough points for a round trip flight.

14. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

I know it's fun and easy to complain about devaluations in the travel industry, but this is not all-bad. While this hurts small businesses and corporations, this helps business travelers. Redemptions don't change, just the way you earn them. Plus, Southwest has been doing this for 2 years with lots of happy passengers.