1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could our OFFENSE aid our DEFENSE?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TECH, Mar 11, 2005.

1. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

I had a thought while driving to work today, but then again, I put my turn signal on and signaled the wrong direction during a lane change, so..........

Against a team that is a running threat, namely Phoenix, I think that by getting the ball in Yao's hands more often, and having him shoot more in the low post, can actually help our transition defense.
    If we make Amare guard Yao, and if Yao shoots the ball often, then that would limit the number of long rebounds that could spark a fast break for the opposition (as opposed to jacking up long jumpers, if they are not falling).
    Yao usually makes his shot (no chance of a fast break on made shots), and even if he misses, we have a decent chance at getting a short rebound. If not, we can match up easier since the opposition is in the paint area doubling Yao, which will keep them from getting a running start on a fast break.
    With Phoenix specifically, try and tire Amare out by going to Yao more often, make him play defense.

Could this be effective, and how would it be done without going too far out of game plan?

2. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

I've seen them break on made baskets, They have a man waiting at half court and the person who inbounds bullets it to him and catches everyone off gaurd.

I agree with your strategy though, the main focus should be points in the paint. Do not try to out-shoot the suns. The only downside about taking it to the hoop all game is that it can tire you out naturally, add to that getting back to stop the break.. Phoenix team defense isn't great but their offense is their defense by tiring out their opponents. We can beat the suns, we have a better chance now than we did in the first game, and we almost hung in there.

3. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I think that is a really good idea. The break on made baskets needs to be stopped by people watching their guys more carefully. You have no time to celebrate a basket against Phoenix.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The Chron had a similar suggestion in the preview to the game. They were suggesting hitting the offensive boards to slow the break. It's a bit counter-intuitive: if you're hitting the offensive boards, you're not sending as many guys back, so if you don't get the rebound, you're actually in a worse defensive position. On the flip side, hitting the boards would force the Suns to commit more guys to rebounding and they won't necessarily be able to get guys breaking as soon. It's a gamble, especially considering Marion and Stoudamire are much better rebounders than anyone on our frontcourt.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if anyone knows exactly what the suns do and how to counter it, it's JVG. that is one thing i love about him. he (and his teams) are the most prepared in the league. it's just a matter of having the talent, the disipline, and the commitment to pull it off.

6. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Agreed. I KNOW JVG has spent the last week devising and coaching a plan to beat the Suns. It will certaintly involve some interesting defensive schemes and a lot of Yao Ming.

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well Marion is a much better rebounder than anyone in our frontcourt. Amare OTOH, is only about as good as Yao on the boards.

8. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

This is exactly why I don't fear any team. JVG is a playoff coach, he excells in analyzing and preparing. I'm sure he has Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C ready before each game. That is why I do not fear when we are down at halftime because JVG is the king of adjustments.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

i mean, lets be honest here, and put aside any JVG hating feelings. Who would you rather have drawing up a game plan? Jeff Van Gundy or Mike D'antoni?

10. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Against Pheonix, all we need is for Yao to set a pick for Sura(with Nash chasing him with his flying hair)... The rest, will be history.