1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Abstinence education Failure - thanks Right Wing Nuts!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, May 8, 2015.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another instance of how Right Wingers ideas are resulting in failure. We've seen them wreak the economy, wreak the middle east, and here again is how their ideas result in....STD's at school.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...ence-only-texas-high-school-article-1.2212306

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why hasn't there been an outbreak of STDs in Catholic high schools?

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

We are an 'Abstinence is not an option' society

Rocket River

4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Do they have sex ed in high schools?

5. Remii

Remii Member

So you're telling me they tried to teach abstinence in a nation that sales and promotes sex and it didn't work...??? Shocking...

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Anne Hathaway

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Why hasn't a meteor hit the earth yet since we don't have a defense against it?

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/04/10/461402/teen-pregnancy-sex-education/

Can we finally start acting like we don't live in a 3rd world country? This abstinence only stuff is the Republican shari'ah law of the land.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not exactly a fan of abstinence education but this is pretty stupid.....it's like claiming that engineering education is fundamentally flawed because of the bonfire construction collapse at Texas A&M several years ago. Let's do away with engineering programs because obviously they don't work, amirite?

Abstinence education might not work, I don't know, I don't really care but this article is dumb and if it sways your opinion one way or the other, you probably aren't very bright.

9. Remii

Remii Member

Did the people who built that structure possess a engineering degree...?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A&M is well known for their engineering program, sure it's unfair to blame the engineering program for the incident......much like it's unfair to blame the abstinence education program for this incident. That was my point. This is a stupid article meant to make stupid people feel smug.

11. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

What was flawed was the building process of that thing. Drunk students shouldn't have been cutting down and then erecting trees.

While the bonfire collapse might not say anything about the engineering program at A&M, it most certainly highlighted what a horrible idea it was.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think you understood what I was saying....think about the analogy a little more and see if it makes more sense to you.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's a stupid ******* analogy. None of these kids accidentally had sex because they couldn't do abstinence correctly. For someone that constantly mocks the intelligence of others you sure post a lot of moronic garbage.

14. Buck Turgidson

Meteors hit the earth all the time.

15. Buck Turgidson

Lol...This is an outrage!!! :)

16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

What? What an idiotic analogy, but okay, keep telling yourself it's a good analogy. If you can find me some engineering plans and design these A&M engineers did for the bonfire construction, then I'll shut up, otherwise at least put better effort in making good analogies.

I'm pretty sure you care a lot considering that you hate medicaid, welfare programs, abortion, etc etc.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Cycles of the moon and da pooper.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

That analogy would get you a 200 on your SAT's for spelling your name right.

19. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

The failure is in the parenting. Do you really think a 3-day program ... which is probably an hour a day long.... is going to overturn a lifetime's education at home and in the world?

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The point is that if abstinence only education sparked this outbreak of STD, why hasn't it happened more often? This school is an outlier.