1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

26 points! 10 boards! 4 assists. We gotta keep this guy!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JBIIRockets, Apr 8, 2001.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

In 31 minutes!

I don't care that those numbers were against the Hawks. Hakeem Olajuwon needs to stay put for next season. Big men are scare in today's game, which makes The Dream even more important. Whether we get C-Webb or not, Hakeem better have a roster spot for next season. If the Rockets do mirically get Chris Webber, then I feel that Hakeem will really want to play here becuase he knows that the Rockets will be vastly improved. If the Rockets end up having a below average offseason in terms of acquiring players, then Hakeem is even more important becuase the Rockets have shown, in the latter half of this season, that they can win with Dream in the lineup. Another plus is that he said that he would prefer to stay here, Webber or no webber.

All the national analysts think that the Rockets are going to just let Hakeem go, but since he continues to put up numbers like this (11 double-doubles in his last 20 games), it should be an easy decision for the organization.

Don't forget that he put in 27 points against a good Dallas team, and it could have been 29 if he would have made those two fts late in the game.

OUT, JBIIRockets

------------------
    You can put it on the BOARD.......YESSSSSSSSS!
    Chicago White Sox Announcer Ken Harrelson

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

If the Rockets do not resign Hakeem, they will no nowhere next year (title-wise). Webber, or no Webber.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

3. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Francis
    Mobley
    ???
    Webber
    Olujawon

I don't care if it is a long shot, this line-up gives me wet dreams! [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Wakko67 (edited April 08, 2001).]

4. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Olujawon? Is he a new foreign prospect or something? Draft pick?

[​IMG]

Sorry, just giving you a hard time Wakko -- it's a funny name -- Olujawon hehe

------------------
    "Up and down, inside out, outside in, some you lose some you win"
    -- DMB -> "Sweet Up and Down"

5. haven

haven Member

ZRB: Hakeem is still a decent player, but Webber could probably take a team to the playoffs single-handedly... and with Mobley and Francis... a top-4 seed.

Let's not overrate Hakeem because of past glory [​IMG]. He's a good center, now. I dislike all the attacks on him... but overpaying him would be a big mistake.

The future is Francis, Mobley, and whatever good PF we can sign.

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I'm sure they would get to the playoffs with Webber, but with Cato as the center, they would not win the title. But, imagine this current lineup with Webber in place of Mo. With Hakeem playing well, the Rockets would have the best front court in the league.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

7. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I know Dream has already indicated all things being equal, he'd prefer to stay in Houston next year, but I found his comments in today's Chronicle very heartening.

"We didn't make it (the playoffs) this year, but the team and the guys felt a little bit satisfied at least that we had a winning record," said Olajuwon, who dominated the Hawks with 26 points and 10 rebounds, his 13th double double this season. "So now you look forward to the following year, going into the draft and so on. I look at it (the positives from this season) from that angle.

"Right now, the standard has been set. The standard next year should be not just to make the playoffs, but to try and get the home-court advantage. This team deserves that. We have a lot of talent on this team, so we should be able to do that."

I suppose it would sound strange to talk about the Rockets in the third person, but it still makes me feel some optimism about Olajuwon re-signing with the team, with him talking about expectations for next year.

Even if it came down to signing Webber v. Dream, Mo and Shandon as Clutch has polled about, I'd go with the latter, even if it could be shown that we were slightly worse off for a couple of years because of it. Dream has convinced me he still can ball. I want to see his Dream career extended; I wouldn't be able to stand seeing him in a different uniform (unless it were new Rockets unis [​IMG]) I hope we re-sign him for a two year contract worth annually around the $4 million exception, and try to acquire new players via trade. I'd like to trade Cato and acquire a decent prospect at center via the draft. We'll just have to wait and see.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Relativist (edited April 08, 2001).]

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Sounds like sweet chine music...sorry no idea what that means. The rockets would be unstopable with that line up! :>

------------------

9. rslay

rslay Member

Another thing to consider is attendance: the Rockets have the worst attendance in the league and the highest ticket prices. Let's say they don't get Webber. A lot of people going to games are only casual fans and want to see famous names. If Olajuwon all by himself makes a difference of 1000 fans per game, and the average ticket is $30 (I'm sure it's higher), then that's $30,000 a game and $1.2 million over the course of the season at home. I'm sure the management likes any million it can get its hands on as long as it doesn't hurt the team. Now, it would be a lot easier for Olajuwon to make a difference of 1000 fans per game if they knew for certain that he was really going to retire, but it looks like he's never going to let anyone know that.

------------------

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Although it is still along shot the Rockets are not mathematically eliminated until they lose one more or the Wolves win one more. At the time of Hakeem's quote, the magic number was still 2. I find it a bit disheartening that the team (at least Hakeem) had already given up hope of making the playoffs.

RSLAY - Why do you say the Rockets have the highest ticket prices? I do not believe that is the case.

------------------

11. davo

davo Contributing Member

Except of course, Hakeem's salary would exceed $1.2Million. I can think of lot of good reasons to keep him here next year but economics isn't one of them.

------------------
    ..as a man danced so the drums were beaten for him.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

12. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

They also get money from concessions.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion