1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Drew_Le, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

And reading about Kyle Tucker having one of the best swings to come along in years says a lot. he is one i could see sneaking into the top 3.

But i would not be surprised to see some guys make metioric rises still. This is baseball and it seems all scouts have their own way to measure stuff a different way.

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

3. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

It seems that you can go any which way in this draft. There is some premier talent, but all of the players have weaknesses that can hamper their development.

I've seen that the big knock on Dillon Tate, that he may be slated as a closer. And the big knock on Dez Cameron is that he has not progressed as scouts had hoped this year. But both at some point were seen as #1 picks and still can be.

The field I so close, that unless there was that additional piece of information that scouts have and keep close to their vest to share only with their bosses, were are left guessing as fans.

But, let it not be said that All-stars won't come out of this draft. Because they will.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wasn't Daz's dad one of the few players to ever hit 4 home runs in one game?

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For full article - http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2015-mlb-mock-draft-v2-0/

2. Astros – Brendan Rodgers, SS, Lake Mary HS (FL), Florida State commit

Contrary to some buzz I’ve heard from high-ranking scouts in the last few weeks, this pick is protected and the Astros would get the #2 pick next year (in what looks like a much, much better draft) if they didn’t sign this player this year. To answer a common question, no there isn’t a team this year that will intentionally punt their pick this year to get a nice slot in next year’s draft. That said, I talked to a few scouting directors who said that, if their pick quotes them a number and then changes it after they are picked, the strength of the 2016 class will factor into how motivated they are to sign the player at that point.

Scouting directors don’t really pay attention to the next year’s draft until this one ends, but I ran through my list with two of them and we agreed there were at least 15 kids in the 2016 class that would be first rounders right now, if eligible. Players/advisers figured out that they have some power at high picks to hold a whole team’s draft ransom, because all the later picks are tied to the savings from the very top picks. The strength of the 2016 draft and advisers needing to maintain relationships for future drafts will serve to balance that out this year.

Assuming Swanson goes first (he would be the pick here for sure if Arizona passes), Houston’s pick comes down to Rodgers or LSU SS Alex Bregman. There’s still some conflicting information out there, but late word from people that have the best handle on this situation is that Rodgers would be the pick in this scenario. That said, Bregman is still alive here and teams are opening their big meetings around now. Houston is among the most creative teams, so maybe they’ll come up with a way to get the other player they want to slide to their second pick at 5th overall; this is far from a done deal.

I mentioned that this pick will dictate the rest of the top 9, so here’s the most likely outcomes with Rodgers and Bregman scenarios at 2:

2/HOU/Bregman, 3/COL/Rodgers, 4/TEX/Tate, 5/HOU/Tucker, 6/MIN/Cameron, 7/BOS/Benintendi, 8/CHW/Jay, 9/CHC/Fulmer (the players at 5/6 and 7/9 could also flip in this scenario)

2/HOU/Rodgers, 3/COL/Jay, 4/TEX/Bregman, 5/HOU/Tucker, 6/MIN/Tate, 7/BOS/Benintendi, 8/CHW/Fulmer, 9/CHC/Cameron (the players at 7/9 could flip and 4/5/6 could be shuffled in any order in this scenario)

5. Astros – Kyle Tucker, RF, Plant HS (FL), Florida commit

The Astros have been tied to Tucker and Cameron here for months and lately have been tied to Benintendi and Bregman. The strong industry belief is that the Astros want two bats with these two top picks and want huge upside to justify taking a prep bat at 5. There’s been more buzz recently that Tucker has overtaken Cameron (I would take Tucker over Cameron as well), but Bregman would likely be the pick over Tucker if he slides past Texas. Benintendi is a late riser that looks to be the choice behind Tucker, or if they want to save a little more money at this pick. Texas prep LF Trenton Clark has also been tied here, but he fits a little lower and college arms Tate, Fulmer and Jay have all been seen by Houston’s heavy hitters recently, but those seems like backup plans to Tucker and Bregman here.

I can't really respond on HS players. Fulmer or Bregman are the guys I am hoping for if the Astros for a college player at 5.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I think the author is confusing a protected pick due to a free agent signing with a protected pick from being unable to sign your pick. In essence, if the Astros don't sign #2, they lose it. If they don't sign #5, they get #6 next year.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

That is what I thought. Been looking to see if I could find something from MLB.com about this, but to no avail.

#287 Joe Joe, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  8. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I want two bats. Always take high quality bats in the top 5.

9. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

This.

You can always trade for pitching.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've always heard this without the "for".

11. awc713

awc713 Member

I think Tate looks really good, but I understand the concern that he's destined for a closer's role

12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Rodgers at 2 and Tucker at 5 would be best case scenario for me. Two best prep talents in the draft with both having very high ceilings.

13. Niaperzly

Niaperzly Member

He most certainly is not. Draft picks received an extra year of protection in the latest CBA. Draft Pick Changes

14. Dankush

Dankush Member

I trust Luhnow to make the right choice.

In 2012 the right choice was not picking Appel. I would have gone buxton at the time personally but both are great and Correa has the slight edge right now.

2013 I think appel was the best pick with the information everyone had at the time and would have been my selection, so I can't go after him on this.

2014 again hard to argue with aikens scouting report but that was a cluster****

I think and hope he is zeroed in on Tucker at 5. Hes hopefully sick of sick of pitchers at the top of the draft And we almosy certainly see the ss prospect arizona doesnt take.

15. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

That is correct: here's keith law on the issue

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...w-on-mlb-draft.

The #2 pick is protected for another year.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Good to hear. Hopefully it's a moot point.

17. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

The important thing is that it gives us leverage to not have to offer full slot. More money to use for the other picks.

18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2015 MLB Draft: Comparing age of top Talent. How players stack up with their peers, by age <a href="http://t.co/DMClSqhSIa">http://t.co/DMClSqhSIa</a> <a href="http://t.co/8mnb3YaVIX">pic.twitter.com/8mnb3YaVIX</a></p>&mdash; johnsickels (@MinorLeagueBall) <a href="https://twitter.com/MinorLeagueBall/status/604331462209445888">May 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

There's a change in the latest BA Mock Draft. Two, to be exact.

2. Alex Bregman
    5. Daz Cameron

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Nightmare scenario for me.