1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith, Jason Terry and Corey Brewer want to return to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leangle25, May 29, 2015.

1. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't see anyone throwing 45 mil at any of those guys. Now Cuban could once again overpay one or more of those guys(or maybe Bev) in order to lure them away from the Rockets. But if that dude makes it his mission in life to pry away Rocket free agents with oversized contracts, he'll continue to see results like he did this past season. And eventually, his fans will start to give him sh-t about it(if they haven't already after Parsons).

2. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I hope that series isn't your barometer for him being a good, consistent player.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Great, so that means they will all sign team friendly deals, that will allow Morey to add a good 3 pt shooting PG

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Corey Brewer was wildly inconsistent in the playoffs. And an elite defensive team like the Warriors renders him more or less useless since he is primarily good at beating teams in transition and the Warriors just took that away from him by playing top notch transition defense. That said, his energy and transition game helped us win a lot of games this year and if the price is right I'm not opposed to bringing him back.

Josh Smith is also wildly inconsistent. He can single handedly win a game or he can single handedly lose a game. If he can be brought back for a few million you have to do it though. If somebody out there offers him full MLE money we just have to watch him walk. The difficult part about that is Jones becomes less expendable if Smith leaves, and I think right now nearly everyone expects Jones will be a key part of a trade package to bring in a point guard.

Jason Terry is a no brainer. He won't expect more than the vet exception and he's a bargain at that price. His shooting wasn't great in the playoffs, but his 37 year old legs aren't meant to play that many minutes. In limited minutes, his effectiveness should return. At worst he's a great locker room leader to have for the vet minimum.

5. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Ide like them all 3 back, we only got to see Smith/Brew for half the season. Think of how much better they would play with the rest of the team after a season and a half.

Both have weaknesses. Brewer is really only a factor on 50/50 plays and in the open court, his FT has been horrible.

Smith has played better for us than he has in a while. He was asked to do alot in the playoffs without a PG and he def helped the team more than he hurt it. I cant underestimate his relationship with Howard, a happy Howard and Smith are good for this team.

Ive hated the Jet for a while now, but it didnt take long to like him in Rockets red. I would love to see him come back for a year or 2 as the on court coach/3rd string guard.

Our current bench is the best bench I have seen on the Rockets in a very long time, i dont think its a coincidence we finally move far into the playoffs after upgrading the bench. We have roster spots we should clear before any of these 3. Plus it sounds like they want to come back.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Josh Smith on returning: &quot;Yeah I would. Coming into FA u never know what’s going to happen just got to hope for the best &amp; stay positive.&quot;</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/604312282248646656">May 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Keep in mind 2 of those 3 bench guys were thrust into starting roles due to late season injuries(and crappy play by T-Jones). Next year, they'll be back on the bench where they belong which only strengthens the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  8. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

He wasn't running like a greyhound in the Golden State series LOL, that was a complete disappearing act he pulled off. But that aside I want him back for a full season.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Magic number is 37. It's the age of Terry and also the % from 2 Brewer and Smith shoot when you need buckets the most. Lulz.

I'd love to have them all back but I'm not crying a river over losing them either.

10. SemisolidSnake

I like all of them at times, and I hate them at times.

As has been, said, Terry, you have ONE job. If you're not the BEST three-point shooter on the team, then you should come back as a coach, not a player, to keep the younger guys inspired. If Terry is going to play, I'd actually like to see him step in closer a lot more and make floaters and midrange shots over the opponents' bigs. He has the touch to do that all day long, and we've seen in more lately.

Brewer: I don't what happened to him in the playoffs. I suspect that he bought a little too much into his role as "the greyhound" and lost focus on everything else except running (including finishing on the break.) He was much focused at the end of the regular season. I love the guy's energy, but like Beverley, it's not controlled well, which leads to erraticness. Also, the guy is not a good three-point shooter. The coaching needs to admit this to themselves and have him slashing to the basket all the time. He's one of the best layup guys on the team and has no problem dunking it given the opportunity. That's the Corey Brewer I want.

Smith is an enigma. He's two players, the clutch, smart, hard defense Dr. Josh Jekyll, and then he switches to the heroball, stupid, poor defense Mr. Josh Hyde. He's got all sorts of talents that are often misused until a miraculous fourth quarter appearance. He is the best passer on the team, bar none, when he's passing well. His defense is quite good when he's playing it well. He shows a lot of effort offensive rebounding and then actually going back up with the ball for the second chance points.

He HAS to become a better free throw shooter. That's a deal breaker. Having him shoot all those threes is like flipping a coin on any night, and I don't like randomness like that. With some very clever coaching, he could probably run the offense on the bench unit from the 4 like Griffin did against us when Paul was out. Except I think he could he could actually facilitate better. If Josh Jekyll gets rid of Josh Hyde, by all means, keep him. Right now, though, his and his aforementioned teammates' inconsistency doesn't thrill me about their potential returns.

11. lionaire

lionaire Member

Down for Terry but he cannot be the 2nd best PG we have on this team.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

He gone. :p

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Corey Brewer: &quot;I plan on being back here next year.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jenny Dial Creech (@jennydialcreech) <a href="https://twitter.com/jennydialcreech/status/604332084446908417">May 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Corey Brewer said he hasn't opted out of his contract as yet. But it's a mere formality. He wants to return.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/604332721750577152">May 29, 2015</a></blockquote>

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

Ouch. Cyberx?

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I like all three, wish they all can return to the rockets. Terry should likely be in the team next year regardless, other two are not a sure thing. We have to wait and see.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Wait, Morey's be lying to us about Corey Brewer waiving his player option?

This stuff really isn't news. The vast majority of free agents say they want to return even if they don't exactly mean it. You don't want to sound like a malcontent in public even if you are not happy. "Love to return but keeping options open" is the standard message when entering free agency.

It is only news when a guy is unhappy enough to suggest that he doesn't want to return.

#35 Carl Herrera, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  16. Nimo

Nimo Member

They also want to get paid. The most interesting decision is with Jason Terry. What does that PG position look like? Bev/Terry/Prig/NJohnson? No way all four of the come back. right?
    And can you really expect JT to play next year like he did this year?

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

terry was forced into a bigger role than planned due to injuries. when the team is healthy his role becomes much more simple and is based on hitting open 3's. i don't see why he doesn't have another year under his belt

18. RESINator

RESINator Member

I'm on the fence about Brewer. Too inconsistent

19. JHL85

JHL85 Member

We have him signed through 2017/2018 season.

20. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

Love it. You could really feel the love for the game when these guys were on the court.